My Life in France by Julia Child

My Life in France (2004)

by Julia Child

Other authors: Alex Prud'Homme (Author)

Recently added bydeesbooknook78, private library, amysan, deb.d, Abril8386, NancyAx, Ndkchk, Linda_Holcomb, Sabines

English (173)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (175)
Unfortunately, the real Julia Child is pretentious and not very likable, especially when compared to her movie counterpart. I also found her book to be too monotonous and boring to finish. ( )
  Linda_Holcomb | Jun 6, 2019 |
This was an amazingly evocative memoir of the birth of Julia the chef - most of the other reviews will describe it better. I finished it this morning and was in a bad mood because it was over and the epilogue was so wistfully sad. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
3.5 stars

This is Julia Child's autobiography (co-written by Alex Prud'homme, the grandson of her husband's twin brother) of not only her time in France with her husband Paul, where she learned to cook and started writing her first cookbook, but also of her time after she left France, continuing to work on her cookbooks, as well as starting her tv show, The French Cook.

I did like this book, but I expect that someone who is a foodie might enjoy it even more. The first half did talk a lot about the food and the cooking, but I enjoyed the second half more, where there wasn't quite as much emphasis on that. It focused more on writing her cookbook and the tv show. I also enjoyed the pictures scattered throughout. There wasn't as much about Julia's relationship with Paul as I'd hoped, though. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 2, 2019 |
It's almost always interesting to read biographies. After reading this one I have a better understanding of why Julia Child was so important. It was more than just her celebrity; she really did educate Americans and offer them higher standards for cooking. I have a lot more respect for her cookbooks now. I've had Mastering the Art of French Cooking for over 20 years but I hadn't thought to sit down with it and actually read it as an instruction manual rather than just a book of recipes. I'm doing that now and enjoying the process. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
This is the story of Julia Child and her time she spent in France. She arrived in France in 1948 with her husband, Paul, when he was stationed there as part of government work. She spent her time there becoming a local - learning the language, shopping at the local markets, and really finding her passion for cooking. She attended classes at the famous Cordon Bleu cooking school and become obsessed with recipes and cooking French food. She is the author if the cookbooks Masting the Art of French Cooking I and II. The book goes through her 50 years of marriage to Paul and all the places they lived until his death in 1994 and hers in 2004.

I did enjoy this book. I have always been facinated with Julia Child - her unusual voice and tall stature. This tells many little anecdotal stories about her friends, their apartments, the cities and countries she lived in over the course of her marriage. She lived in several places in France (and eventually built a vacation home there later in life), but also in Germany and Oslo before returning to the United States. She talked about her relationship with her mother (who died when Julia was young) and her father (who was a very conservative Republican - the opposite of Julia), her sister and brother, and of course, her husband. The book does jump around a bit.....didn't love the flow in some places. She would be telling a story and then quickly switch channels. But those were few and far between, and I greatly enjoyed reading about how she became the famous chef she was.

I visited France two summers ago with my family, and we spent 10 glorious days in Paris. We loved the city right from the start, and this book made me long to go back.

And it made me hungry. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
For me, reading Julia Child’s memoir felt like going home.

"My Life in France," written with Alex Prud'homme, is Child's exuberant, affectionate and boundlessly charming account of that transformation. It chronicles, in mouth-watering detail, the meals and the food markets that sparked her interest in French cooking, and her growing appreciation of all things French."
added by lorax | editNew York Times, William Grimes (Apr 8, 2006)

Julia Childprimary authorall editionscalculated
Prud'Homme, AlexAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Paul
This is a book about some of the things I have loved most in life; my husband, Paul Child; la belle France; and the many pleasures of cooking and eating.
Usually one's cooking is better than one thinks it is. And if the food is truly vile, as my ersatz eggs Florentine surely were, then the cook must simply grit her teeth and bear it with a smile - and learn from her mistakes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307277690, Paperback)

Book Description

Julia Child single handedly awakened America to the pleasures of good cooking with her cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking and her television show The French Chef, but as she reveals in this bestselling memoir, she didn't know the first thing about cooking when she landed in France.

Indeed, when she first arrived in 1948 with her husband, Paul, she spoke no French and knew nothing about the country itself. But as she dove into French culture, buying food at local markets and taking classes at the Cordon Bleu, her life changed forever. Julia's unforgettable story unfolds with the spirit so key to her success as a cook and teacher and writer, brilliantly capturing one of the most endearing American personalities of the last fifty years.

Julie & Julia is now a major motion picture (releasing in August 2009) starring Meryl Streep as Julia Child. It is partially based on her memoir, My Life in France. Enjoy these images from the film, and click the thumbnails to see larger images.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:15 -0400)

Here is the captivating story of Julia Child's years in France, where she fell in love with French food and found "her true calling." From the moment she and her husband Paul, who worked for the USIS, arrived in the fall of 1948, Julia had an awakening that changed her life. Soon this tall, outspoken gal from Pasadena, California, who didn't speak a word of French and knew nothing about the country, was steeped in the language, chatting with purveyors in the local markets, and enrolled in the Cordon Bleu. She teamed up with two fellow gourmettes, Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle, to help them with a book on French cooking for Americans. Filled with her husband's beautiful black-and-white photographs as well as family snapshots, this memoir is laced with wonderful stories about the French character, particularly in the world of food, and the way of life that Julia embraced so wholeheartedly. Bon appâetit!--From publisher description.… (more)

Legacy Library: Julia Child

Julia Child has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Julia Child's legacy profile.

See Julia Child's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,584,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible