My Life in France by Julia Child with Alex…

My Life in France (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme

Member:briandrewz
Title:My Life in France
Authors:Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme
Info:Knopf (2005), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover
Rating:****1/2
Tags:autobiography, domestic science

My Life in France by Julia Child (2004)

English (157)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (159)
My Life in France – Julia Child/Alex Prud’homme
3 stars

At the end of her successful, active life, Julia Child collaborated with her great-nephew to write this memoir of her life in Paris following WWII. Her main concern is to relate how she came to write Mastering the Art of French cooking with her two collaborators. Along the way, she provides a look at life in Paris. She also pays tribute to the talents and patience of her husband Paul. There’s a certain amount of name dropping and many wonderful descriptions of wonderful meals. Like many memoirs, I found the first part of the book to be very absorbing, but it became more tedious as it progressed.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
I love this book! I fell in love with Julia and Paul and their way of life; their attitudes and philosophy for living. I love the live they lived in and out of France. I found myself wishing I could have met her and taken cooking lessons from her. And I definitely found myself really wanting a copy of Mastering the Art of French cooking! This book is a travel log, a cooking log, and memoir all wrapped up in one. Julia Child was a unique individual who changed the world of cooking, cookbooks and recipes, and she was one of the very first celebrity chef. Bravo, Julia! ( )
  Dmtcer | May 4, 2016 |
With the Julie/Julia craze, readers will be looking for more about Julia Child. This memoir written by Ms. Julia in her eighties, looks at her life in France, beginning in about 1948 through her return to the US and the ultimate publishing of her two books with Simone Beck.

The wit, determination and joy of Julia Child shines throughout this book. The woman who tells American cooks "you can use canned chicken broth, it's your kitchen, who's going to KNOW!" is almost maniacal in getting a recipe right...testing and retesting, and then testing again with American ingredients (did you know French flour has less gluten than American flour? Makes it hard to get a baguette to turn out right).

My advice...skip Julie and go right to Julia. She is a fascinating woman who changed how Americans look at food and cooking. IMHO she's a National Treasure twice over (both for France and the USA :) ( )
  debs913 | Apr 2, 2016 |
A delightful romp with the first foodie, Julia Child. Makes me want to learn French, take a trip, and grab a copy of her cookbook. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
I enjoyed discovering about Julia Chilld's love of cooking and her time in France. A must read for all cooking fans. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
For me, reading Julia Child’s memoir felt like going home.

"My Life in France," written with Alex Prud'homme, is Child's exuberant, affectionate and boundlessly charming account of that transformation. It chronicles, in mouth-watering detail, the meals and the food markets that sparked her interest in French cooking, and her growing appreciation of all things French."
added by lorax | editNew York Times, William Grimes (Apr 8, 2006)

Julia Childprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prud'Homme, AlexAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Paul
This is a book about some of the things I have loved most in life; my husband, Paul Child; la belle France; and the many pleasures of cooking and eating.
Usually one's cooking is better than one thinks it is. And if the food is truly vile, as my ersatz eggs Florentine surely were, then the cook must simply grit her teeth and bear it with a smile - and learn from her mistakes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307277690, Paperback)

Book Description

Julia Child single handedly awakened America to the pleasures of good cooking with her cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking and her television show The French Chef, but as she reveals in this bestselling memoir, she didn't know the first thing about cooking when she landed in France.

Indeed, when she first arrived in 1948 with her husband, Paul, she spoke no French and knew nothing about the country itself. But as she dove into French culture, buying food at local markets and taking classes at the Cordon Bleu, her life changed forever. Julia's unforgettable story unfolds with the spirit so key to her success as a cook and teacher and writer, brilliantly capturing one of the most endearing American personalities of the last fifty years.

Julie & Julia is now a major motion picture (releasing in August 2009) starring Meryl Streep as Julia Child. It is partially based on her memoir, My Life in France. Enjoy these images from the film, and click the thumbnails to see larger images.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:15 -0400)

Here is the captivating story of Julia Child's years in France, where she fell in love with French food and found "her true calling." From the moment she and her husband Paul, who worked for the USIS, arrived in the fall of 1948, Julia had an awakening that changed her life. Soon this tall, outspoken gal from Pasadena, California, who didn't speak a word of French and knew nothing about the country, was steeped in the language, chatting with purveyors in the local markets, and enrolled in the Cordon Bleu. She teamed up with two fellow gourmettes, Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle, to help them with a book on French cooking for Americans. Filled with her husband's beautiful black-and-white photographs as well as family snapshots, this memoir is laced with wonderful stories about the French character, particularly in the world of food, and the way of life that Julia embraced so wholeheartedly. Bon appétit!--From publisher description.… (more)

Legacy Library: Julia Child

Julia Child has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Julia Child's legacy profile.

See Julia Child's author page.

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,813,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible