My Life in France by Julia Child with Alex…

My Life in France (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme

Member:briandrewz
Title:My Life in France
Authors:Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme
Info:Knopf (2005), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover
Rating:****1/2
Tags:autobiography, domestic science

My Life in France by Julia Child (2004)

English (153)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (155)
A delightful romp with the first foodie, Julia Child. Makes me want to learn French, take a trip, and grab a copy of her cookbook. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
I enjoyed discovering about Julia Chilld's love of cooking and her time in France. A must read for all cooking fans. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
I loved the first half, which was packed with the sights and flavours of Paris, but it lost pace after that. I would have enjoyed the book much more had I known Julia Child's work, but I liked (and share) her love of food and cooking, her approach to living in France and her can-do attitude.

3.5 stars for me. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
Audiobook read by Flo Salent Greenberg

From the introduction: This is a book about some of the things I have loved most in life: my husband, Paul Child; la belle France; and the many pleasures of cooking and eating. It is also something new for me. Rather than a collection of recipes, I’ve put together a series of linked autobiographical stories, mostly focused on the years 1948 through 1954, when we lived in paris and Marseille, and also a few of our later adventures in Provence. Those early years in France were among the best of my life.

My reactions
What a delightful – and delicious – memoir. I really got a sense for the determination with which Julia mastered the art of French cooking, and for the enthusiasm with which she set out to impart that love of French cooking to the rest of the world. The vignettes are charming, touching, funny, exasperating, worrisome, tender, and full of the joy of life. I liked the snapshots that were included, but wish that more of them had actual captions.

Flo Salent Greenberg does a marvelous job voicing the audio version. But be careful. A friend presented this to me as a gift, and it was only after I opened it that I realized it was abridged. I was able to get a UNabridged version through my library, however. Of course the audio book cannot include the wonderful photos, either.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
This book was pretty amazing. It is told in the first person and you really feel like Julia is talking to you. She tells us the story of how she got involved in cooking and the great personalities she has worked with and been friends with. The book is filled with pictures of her and her friends and some artistic shots taken by her husband Paul. The beginning of the book is more detailed and has a lot more going on, this could be for several reasons, she passed away while it was being written, so they may be less finished, or as she got older, she did less, unfortunately we will never know. Like all memoirs, Julia and Paul come across as wonderful people who rarely did wrong and who had much done to them, especially Paul, who was investigated by the government for being a homosexual and communist and who was always undervalued by his bosses. But really, everyone is undervalued by their bosses so this is highly believable. Julia's memoir makes you feel like she is a friend telling you about her life; extremely enjoyable and well worth reading. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
For me, reading Julia Child’s memoir felt like going home.

"My Life in France," written with Alex Prud'homme, is Child's exuberant, affectionate and boundlessly charming account of that transformation. It chronicles, in mouth-watering detail, the meals and the food markets that sparked her interest in French cooking, and her growing appreciation of all things French."
added by lorax | editNew York Times, William Grimes (Apr 8, 2006)

Julia Childprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prud'Homme, AlexAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Paul
This is a book about some of the things I have loved most in life; my husband, Paul Child; la belle France; and the many pleasures of cooking and eating.
Usually one's cooking is better than one thinks it is. And if the food is truly vile, as my ersatz eggs Florentine surely were, then the cook must simply grit her teeth and bear it with a smile - and learn from her mistakes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307277690, Paperback)

Book Description

Julia Child single handedly awakened America to the pleasures of good cooking with her cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking and her television show The French Chef, but as she reveals in this bestselling memoir, she didn't know the first thing about cooking when she landed in France.

Indeed, when she first arrived in 1948 with her husband, Paul, she spoke no French and knew nothing about the country itself. But as she dove into French culture, buying food at local markets and taking classes at the Cordon Bleu, her life changed forever. Julia's unforgettable story unfolds with the spirit so key to her success as a cook and teacher and writer, brilliantly capturing one of the most endearing American personalities of the last fifty years.

Julie & Julia is now a major motion picture (releasing in August 2009) starring Meryl Streep as Julia Child. It is partially based on her memoir, My Life in France. Enjoy these images from the film, and click the thumbnails to see larger images.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:15 -0400)

Here is the captivating story of Julia Child's years in France, where she fell in love with French food and found "her true calling." From the moment she and her husband Paul, who worked for the USIS, arrived in the fall of 1948, Julia had an awakening that changed her life. Soon this tall, outspoken gal from Pasadena, California, who didn't speak a word of French and knew nothing about the country, was steeped in the language, chatting with purveyors in the local markets, and enrolled in the Cordon Bleu. She teamed up with two fellow gourmettes, Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle, to help them with a book on French cooking for Americans. Filled with her husband's beautiful black-and-white photographs as well as family snapshots, this memoir is laced with wonderful stories about the French character, particularly in the world of food, and the way of life that Julia embraced so wholeheartedly. Bon appétit!--From publisher description.… (more)

Legacy Library: Julia Child

Julia Child has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Julia Child's legacy profile.

See Julia Child's author page.

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,189,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible