My Life in France by Julia Child with Alex…

My Life in France (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme

Member:briandrewz
Title:My Life in France
Authors:Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme
Info:Knopf (2005), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover
Rating:****1/2
Tags:autobiography, domestic science

My Life in France by Julia Child (2004)

English (146)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (148)
What a celebration of life committed to the French Epicurean life! Julia and Paul Child's lives in France are a delight to read as they travel through a gourmand's dream of French cuisine in small restaurants, through Julia's book writing, TV and menu testing experiences, and from the lives of their friends and acquaintances. This charming read shares Julia's life experiences and her thoughts about her life as it was happening. Written in the first person, her voice came through strongly ("bon appetit!"). Living to 91 and 361 days, she outlived most of her contemporaries, allowing for refreshing, and sometimes surprising, honesty. Black and white photographs sprinkled throughout the text flesh out human faces and "des beaux pays et villes de France." Even des minoues are included. This book is WAY better than the film Julie and Julia, which I did enjoy, and am not denigrating. The book is just better! I wanted it to continue another 352 pages. The food descriptions (most of them) are mouth-watering. The work is indexed, and comes with an interesting foreword that enhances the rest of the book. ( )
  brickhorse | Jul 7, 2014 |
Reading this made me hungry! Julia Child has such a warm and frank style of writing, shot through with her focus and prefectionism. She had a great memory for detail and this is a wonderful read as a result. I didn't realize how bohemian she was for her time. Child was also a keen observer of people, and the memoir is rounded out with a cast of equally interesting friends and family, and an occasional adversary. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
I picked this one up after seeing "Julie and Julia," which I quite enjoyed. Like others of my generation, I'd grown up knowing who Julia Child was, but I'd never actually watched an episode of her show, nor bothered cracking one of her cookbooks. I was more familiar with Dan Akroyd's version of her than anything.

I found myself entirely enchanted with the version of her portrayed by Meryl Streep in the movie--was she really that upbeat and determined? And how fascinating that she lived in France by virtue of a government posting! I wanted to know more.

What I found in reading the book was that Julia really was just as Streep envisioned her: her quirks and mannerisms were delightful, and she really was just as optimistic and ambitious as the movie version. I enjoyed reading about how she met her husband, their years of government service, and her journey toward success through cooking and writing, and I'm off to buy "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" today. What a lovely woman! ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
The life of Julia Child was a fascinating one. I thoroughly loved this book and the story of how her career started during her initial time in France. The book was well written and detailed parts of her life that were reconstructed from letters and notes from over the years. Loved seeing into this special person's life and her beautiful approach to the world around her. ( )
  tinkerbellkk | Apr 26, 2014 |
I hated for this book to end. I felt I was saying goodbye to a good friend. Loved reading about Julia and her passion for learning all she could about true French cooking. What I admired was her love of life, her refusal to give up her dream even when told she would never be a chef...... ( )
  angieshere | Apr 25, 2014 |
For me, reading Julia Child’s memoir felt like going home.

"My Life in France," written with Alex Prud'homme, is Child's exuberant, affectionate and boundlessly charming account of that transformation. It chronicles, in mouth-watering detail, the meals and the food markets that sparked her interest in French cooking, and her growing appreciation of all things French."
added by lorax | editNew York Times, William Grimes (Apr 8, 2006)

Julia Childprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prud'Homme, AlexAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Paul
This is a book about some of the things I have loved most in life; my husband, Paul Child; la belle France; and the many pleasures of cooking and eating.
Usually one's cooking is better than one thinks it is. And if the food is truly vile, as my ersatz eggs Florentine surely were, then the cook must simply grit her teeth and bear it with a smile - and learn from her mistakes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307277690, Paperback)

Book Description

Julia Child single handedly awakened America to the pleasures of good cooking with her cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking and her television show The French Chef, but as she reveals in this bestselling memoir, she didn't know the first thing about cooking when she landed in France.

Indeed, when she first arrived in 1948 with her husband, Paul, she spoke no French and knew nothing about the country itself. But as she dove into French culture, buying food at local markets and taking classes at the Cordon Bleu, her life changed forever. Julia's unforgettable story unfolds with the spirit so key to her success as a cook and teacher and writer, brilliantly capturing one of the most endearing American personalities of the last fifty years.

Julie & Julia is now a major motion picture (releasing in August 2009) starring Meryl Streep as Julia Child. It is partially based on her memoir, My Life in France. Enjoy these images from the film, and click the thumbnails to see larger images.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:09 -0400)

Here is the captivating story of Julia Child's years in France, where she fell in love with French food and found "her true calling." From the moment she and her husband Paul, who worked for the USIS, arrived in the fall of 1948, Julia had an awakening that changed her life. Soon this tall, outspoken gal from Pasadena, California, who didn't speak a word of French and knew nothing about the country, was steeped in the language, chatting with purveyors in the local markets, and enrolled in the Cordon Bleu. She teamed up with two fellow gourmettes, Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle, to help them with a book on French cooking for Americans. Filled with her husband's beautiful black-and-white photographs as well as family snapshots, this memoir is laced with wonderful stories about the French character, particularly in the world of food, and the way of life that Julia embraced so wholeheartedly. Bon appétit!--From publisher description.… (more)

Legacy Library: Julia Child

Julia Child has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Julia Child's legacy profile.

See Julia Child's author page.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,723,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible