Honolulu by Alan Brennert

Honolulu

by Alan Brennert

Loved Moloka'i, and this is a great follow up- and not just because of my upcoming Hawaiian vacation! Tells the story of Regret, a girl born just before the turn of the century (20th,) in Korea. She becomes a picture bride and comes to Honolulu and creates a life amid the racial upheavals of the early 1900's. A fascinating portriat that includes real life people and events. ( )
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 5, 2016 |
Enjoyable story a lot like Memiors of a Giesha. However, I felt I was dragging my heels sometimes because there is a lot of history and language thrown in especially towards the end of the book. At times I felt the plot and characters were written just so the history could be told. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |

"Honolulu" is the richly imagined story of Jin, a young "picture bride" who leaves her native Korea, and journeys to Hawaii in 1914 in search of a better life.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,135,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible