Simple Pleasures: Soothing Suggestions &…

Simple Pleasures: Soothing Suggestions & Small Comforts for Living Well… (1996)

by Robert Taylor

611194,696 (4)None

I love this book! it is packed with wonderful ideas on how to relax and get away from the hustle-and-bustle, whether you have a few minutes, hours, or days on your hands. There are also lots of delicious recipes. I can't wait to try "Nostalgic Brownies" and "Bread and Butter Pudding." The next time I go camping, I'm going to try "Bannock," (camping bread). There are ideas for the garden, such as putting in a fishpond and growing your own lavender. Ideas for the home include, livening up throw pillows with old scarves, making potpourri, and creating a tabletop waterfall.
I like the arrangement of the book. It is divided into four sections: Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. These are further divided into four sections each: "Home," "Garden and the Great Outdoors," "Body and Soul," and "Family and Friends."
Throughout the book are inspirational quotes, like this one from Laura Ingalls Wilder:
"I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." (p. 133) ( )
  GaylesStuff | May 20, 2008 |
I open the door. The gorgeous guest from afar sweeps in. In her hands are her gifts - the gifts of hours and farseeing moments, the gifts of mornings and evenings, the gift of spring and summer, the gift pf autumn and winter. She must have searched the heavens for boons so rare.
--Abbie Graham
There is a Zen story about a monk who was climbing a steep mountain.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,964,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible