Das Grab ist erst der Anfang: Roman by Kathy…

Das Grab ist erst der Anfang: Roman (edition 2011)

by Kathy Reichs, Klaus Berr (Übersetzer)

Member:hahehei
Title:Das Grab ist erst der Anfang: Roman
Authors:Kathy Reichs (Author)
Other authors:Klaus Berr (Übersetzer)
Info:Heyne (2011), Taschenbuch, 384 Seiten
Collections:Your library, Fiction, gelesen 2012
Tags:Krimi, USA, Illinois, Chicago, Kanada, Quebec, Montreal, 2012

206 Bones by Kathy Reichs

English (74)  German (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (81)
From Amazon:

There are 206 bones in the human body. Forensic anthropologists know them intimately, can use them to reconstruct every kind of violent end. When Tempe finds herself regaining consciousness in some kind of very small, very dark, very cold enclosed space—bound, hands to feet—Tempe begins slowly to reconstruct... Tempe and Lieutenant Ryan had accompanied the recently discovered remains of a missing heiress from Montreal to the Chicago morgue. Suddenly, Tempe was accused of mishandling the autopsy—and the case. Back in Montreal, the corpse of a second elderly woman was found in the woods, and then a third. Seamlessly weaving between Tempe’s present-tense terror as she’s held captive and her memory of the cases of these murdered women.

My Thoughts:

If you're a fan, you'll enjoy this one--a good mix of the familiar and the new. If you're a fan of the TV series, try not to think of the books as having any relation to the show--they're completely different in tone, style, and depth. The book loses a star for a blindingly obvious suspect that went unnoticed until the end and tangents that serve only to slow down the reader and show off the author's researching and/or trivia skills. Also, the very, very end devolves into what feels like a self-serving (although probably justifiable) tirade about qualifications to be a forensic anthropologist. While she may have a point, it was about a subtle as an anvil to the forehead and brought the book to a screeching halt. Granted, it was the last page so halting is to be expected, but the tone just didn't fit in with the overall book. But overall I enjoyed the book.
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I have to hand it to Ms. Reichs...keeping a character fresh and interesting after 12 books is a real accomplishment! There are a plethora of CSI/anthropology/coroner/pathologist characters in the literary world, but Temperance Brennan remains one of my favorite. She has life difficulties, but still has a decent life. She has friends, families (she is close to her ex-husbands family in Chicago as well as her own in NC), and on again, off again lovers. She has a cat named Birdie. She is smart, tough, and conscientious--everything you want in a person who is trying to discover the who, what, and hows of murder.

debs913 | Apr 2, 2016 |
Joyce Bean
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
I purchased this book simply because the television show ‘Bones’ is based on and inspired by Kathy Reichs. Early in the book I wished I had not wasted my money for several reasons which I will not detail here. However, at the two thirds mark I have found, that like fungus, it has grown on me. Instead of a one star rating it is now heading for a two or three star rating. The story line has improved and although I still keep thinking of Television's Bones and Booth at times, I find increasingly that I want to read the next chapter.

If ‘206 Bones’ is on your reading list do not give up in the early chapters. ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
Temperance wakes up and finds herself shut into a totally dark, cold, silent space - a tomb? As she tries to find a way out she remembers the events of the days leading up to her predicament.

She remembers studying bones and being called on mistakes she made - missing discoloration on a child's tooth which would indicate antibiotics and finger bones she was sure she saw but are now missing and are crucial to the identification of the body. Her prodigious talents help her solve the mystery and survive until help arrives to rescue her.

Reichs' style of writing has short sentences and terse language. The narrator made good use of a French accent when speaking for the Montreal natives of the story. ( )
  mamzel | Mar 14, 2015 |
Reichs isn’t above a bit of melodrama, and her heroine is metaphorically tied to the tracks at one awkward juncture — until the forensic procedures take center stage, as they always do in this cleverly plotted and expertly maintained series.

Kathy Reichsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, WillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my colleagues in the forensic sciences who have demonstrated their professional commitment and aptitude by applying for and obtaining legitimate board certification. The exam was a bear, but we did it! Bravo!
Cold.

Chicago forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan is accused of mishandling the autopsy and the case of a missing heiress from Montreal--an investigation that becomes more complicated when two more bodies of elderly women are found in Montreal and Tempe faces the very real possibility that a colleague has sabotaged work in the lab.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

206 Bones by Kathy Reichs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,106,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible