The Remarkable Farkle McBride by John…

The Remarkable Farkle McBride (2000)

by John Lithgow

Other authors: C. F. Payne (Illustrator)

Summary:
This is a picture book about a little boy who has a natural talent for music. He can play any instrument he wants, but every year or so he gets tired of it and throws it out. Everyone loves hearing him play! By the end of the book he decides he likes hearing all of the instruments together better than just one at a time. When he is 10 years old he gets the chance to be a conductor, and that's what he ends up loving more than anything.

Personal reaction:
I loved this book. The illustrations are great! I think this book is good for showing kids that they don't have to stick with one thing just because people say they're good at it. Kids might want to discover other things they're good at, but it does take time.

Classroom extension:
1. Kids could get in a circle and talk about what their talents are and if/why they like doing it. They could demonstrate it in a show and tell time.
2. The students could go see the band and learn about the instruments.
  Bretny | Feb 3, 2015 |
This about a musical prodigy that learns a new instrument every year, then he throws it out when he gets tired of it. In the end he discovers conducting and listening to all the instruments together.

Age:4-6
Source: pierce college library ( )
  larisharenee | Mar 13, 2014 |
Farkle McBride is a prodigy when it comes to musical instruments but he just can't seem to stick to one. Every other year he masters a new instrument and tires of it, getting bored of it's one lonely sound. But when at a concert, the conductor falls ill and they ask Farkle McBride to step in. He discovers that conducting is his passion and that he LOVES the way all of the instruments sound together. He is now satisfied. Appropriate for ages 3-6.
(Children's Museum of Tacoma library)
  EmilyDean | Feb 10, 2014 |
summary:
This book is about a music prodigy who could play at a very early age. He played the violin, the flute, and the trombone, but none of them made him happy. Finally, he became a conductor and found that this is what he enjoyed.

personal reaction:
This book is fun and easy to read. It would make a great read-a-loud. This book would also inspire children to get interested in music.

classroom extension ideas:
1. This book would be great for a musical lesson. This would be a perfect book to make instruments with.

2. Students could have a band week, and after we make our instruments we could write a short song, and perform it. ( )
  we3zmom | Mar 9, 2012 |
SUMMARY:
Farkle has an incredible musical talent, however after only a year of playing various instruments he becomes bored. He masters every instrument needed for an orchestra. Finally, he realizes his true love is not playing instruments, but conducting an entire orchestra on his own!
PERSONAL REACTION:
The illustrations for this book are tremendously wonderful. I absolutely loved the context, it is beautifully written. I was captured by the easy word flow, and dynamic plot.
EXTENSION IDEAS:
I believe this would be a great book to read before "music time." I think this could really inspire students to work hard at learning their instruments.
This book could also add to a lesson on never giving up. Keep working hard, never give up, and you will achieve your goals. ( )
  whitneyfarmer | Sep 19, 2011 |

John Lithgowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Payne, C. F.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Ian, Phoebe, and Nate, and, of course, Mary - JL
I dedicate this book to my family - CFP
Oh, pity the prodigy, Farkle McBride!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689835418, Paperback)

Star of 3rd Rock from the Sun, actor John Lithgow is less well known as a music enthusiast, but in his comical verse story The Remarkable Farkle McBride, he has created the musical prodigy he would perhaps like to have been. Farkle is a little boy with astounding talents (he's playing violin with the orchestra by the age of 3) but little perseverance. Each year he gets bored with his instrument, takes up and masters a new one, and then gets bored with that. Of his recently beloved trombone, he says, "The racket is more than my eardrums can bear! So return it or throw it away! I don't care!" In the end, Farkle realizes that the whole orchestra is his instrument: he finds satisfaction as a conductor, and the book ends with a gatefold of him triumphantly leading all the other musicians. C.F. Payne's illustrations combine a Norman Rockwell realism with a caricaturist's sense of humor. (Ages 5 and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:20 -0400)

The musical prodigy Farkle McBride tries a number of instruments before discovering that conducting the orchestra makes him happy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,137,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible