Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book…

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 1) (edition 2005)

by J.R. Ward

Member:nicola1178
Title:Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 1)
Authors:J.R. Ward
Info:Signet (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Paranormal Romance

Dark Lover by J. R. Ward

Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian (AngelLocke)
    AngelLocke: These are almost as good as The Black Dagger Brotherhood. I loved them.
    Jacob by Jacquelyn Frank (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Hot & Steamy with the same "mate"/obsessive type of relationships & hot male characters
    The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter (Mumugrrl, SunnySD)
    Mumugrrl: Similar in tone, plot and characterization.
    If Angels Burn by Lynn Viehl (The_Holy_Terror)
    Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione (Vonini)
    Vonini: Both books feature paranormal romance and an urban setting.
    Darkness Dawns by Dianne Duvall (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: Steamy romances between "damaged" alpha males and strong females, with an overarching plot connecting each book.
    Night Pleasures by Sherrilyn Kenyon (al.vick)
    My Wicked Enemy by Carolyn Jewel (TheBooknerd)
    When Twilight Burns by Colleen Gleason (The_Holy_Terror)

English (176)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Czech (1)  French (1)  All languages (182)
3.5/5 stars

After seeing these books on my update feed countless times and mentioned in a lot of topics, I thought it was about time to read them for myself.
I'm not going to write a very long review, since there already are so many reviews to choose from.

I didn't love this book as much as I hoped I would. I'm not sure why this book didn't do it for me, maybe it's just because I read the fever series before reading this one and it's hard to measure up to such a great series.

I liked wrath and I liked Beth and I really liked them both together. The parts about the lessers were less interesting to me and all the POV's made my head spin quite a bit. Sometimes I had to backtrack a bit if things didn't make sense and found out that somewhere in the middle of the chapter the POV had changed yet again. By the end of the book I was more used to it though.

It was a nice read, but it didn't blow me away. I'm glad I got an omnibus for book 1-4, so I decided to read on anyway. I'm not sure I would've if I had just bought this book. ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
*This is a re-read for me, but my first review of the books*

A stellar novel of angst, suspense, blood sucking and romance when you least expect!

J.R. Ward is a phenomenal story teller. She pulled me from page one, and held me captive with Wrath's angst and pain, and with Mary's confusion and love. These characters weren't just created....they were molded into beautiful creatures of the night, and woven into the story line in just the right way.

This story of pain, unexpected love, sorrow and confusion is one that will sit with the reader long after the last page is turn. The Brotherhood is family now, and I look forward to continuing the journeys of each Brother's love story.

Definitely recommended with the highest of 5 stars!

*This book was purchased by me, for my personal collection. All opinions, negative or positive are solely my own.* ( )
  cover2covercafe | Jan 16, 2019 |
One of my favorite BookTubers raves about this series. I had a free gift card and decided to give it a go. I was not really sure if it was going to be my thing or have too many sexual scenes, but I decided to try it anyway.

This started off really strong. It did take me a minute to sort through all of the characters. There are a ton introduced pretty quickly, and you get different aspects from several of them right after another. One thing I really enjoyed was hearing bits and pieces around their pasts. It was not really in detail, but the little information started to develop them individually. I can see why people love this series, as I really liked all of the characters and would like to read more about each.

I was not a huge fan of how Beth and Wraith meet. I was annoyed what happens when he breaks into her house. However; I ended up enjoying their relationship as the story continued.

This story had lots of romance and action all in one. I never lost my interest and it was really fast read. Overall, I enjoyed this. Some things I really liked and others I could have gone without. I am not sure if I will or will not continue on with the series at this point, but would definitely pick them up if I found them for a bargain. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Jan 3, 2019 |
This book started out very slow to me, and it took me a bit to get into it. Once I did though, oh man! Once this story picks up, it really takes off and before you know it your reaching for the next in the series! If your a lover of vampires (like myself) and you don't mind romance mixed with a TON of action, then check this book out for yourself! You won't be disappointed!! ( )
  Brandie_States | Nov 2, 2018 |
This book caught my attention right away as I began to read it. I had to make myself put it down. I love that the author breaks down the meaning of the words she used. Awesome book. Couldn't wait till the next book. ( )
  FredaCochran | Sep 27, 2018 |

Ward, J. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frangione, JimReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ahonen, Markesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Esener, Turhansecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lukács, Lászlónésecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richard, LaurenceTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to: / You, with awe and love. / Thank you for coming and finding me. / And for showing me the way. / It was the ride of a lifetime, / the best I've ever had.
Darius looked around the club, taking in the teeming, half-naked bodies on the dance floor. Screamer's was packed tonight, full of women wearing leather and men who looked like they had advanced degrees in violent crime.
"No one has ever spoken to me as you just did."

Shit.

"I'm really sorry. I just can't understand why --"

Wrath dragged her into his arms and hugged her hard, talking in that other language again. When he pulled back, he ended the monologue with something that sounded like leelan.

"Is that vampire talk for bitch?" she asked.

(p.248, chapter 31)
"Now tell me something. What's your word for husband?"

"Hellren, I suppose. The short version is just Hell."

She laughed softly. "Go figure."

(p.347, chapter 47)

Wrath, the leader of a Brotherhood of warrior vampires is entrusted with assisting the half-human daughter of one of his comrades with her "transition" -- the physical and sexual maturation of vampires, in which they need the blood of a fellow vampire of the opposite sex. He is prepared to do his duty and then send her away, but finds himself inexplicably drawn to her. The only problem is that he and his warrior brethren are fighting an army of undead slayers, who are aiming to turn up the heat on the brethren, and Beth isn't the only destiny he's been dodging.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451216954, Mass Market Paperback)

The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate-Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead-a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:52 -0400)

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,412,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible