Dark Lover: A Novel of the Black Dagger…

Dark Lover: A Novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood (Signet Eclipse) (edition 2005)

by J.R. Ward

Member:kperry
Title:Dark Lover: A Novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood (Signet Eclipse)
Authors:J.R. Ward
Info:Signet (2005), Paperback
Tags:vampires, series, paranormal

Dark Lover by J. R. Ward

Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian (AngelLocke)
    AngelLocke: These are almost as good as The Black Dagger Brotherhood. I loved them.
    Jacob by Jacquelyn Frank (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Hot & Steamy with the same "mate"/obsessive type of relationships & hot male characters
    The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter (Mumugrrl, SunnySD)
    Mumugrrl: Similar in tone, plot and characterization.
    If Angels Burn by Lynn Viehl (The_Holy_Terror)
    Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione (Vonini)
    Vonini: Both books feature paranormal romance and an urban setting.
    Darkness Dawns by Dianne Duvall (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: Steamy romances between "damaged" alpha males and strong females, with an overarching plot connecting each book.
    Night Pleasures by Sherrilyn Kenyon (al.vick)
    My Wicked Enemy by Carolyn Jewel (TheBooknerd)
    When Twilight Burns: The Gardella Vampire Chronicles by Colleen Gleason (The_Holy_Terror)

English (170)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Czech (1)  All (176)
As the only pure vampire left alive, Wrath believes it is his duty to protect the young half-breed, Beth Randall, from evil forces. As his feelings for her grow, how can he ever hope to give her up?
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jul 29, 2017 |
This is my favorite book series ever! JR Ward is a brilliant author who really knows how to develop likable characters readers want to learn more about. As much as I enjoy the romance aspect of the story, even if it was less of a focus I still would want to read it. I genuinely like her version of vampires and the war between their enemy. Warning: these Brothers are addictive! ( )
  Once.Upon.This.Hook | Jul 20, 2017 |
Oh my! Make sure you have a cool cloth on hand to pat your brow down when the book gets over heated! LOL

I'm not a romance novel kind of person. I usually hate them because the female characters always seem like damsels in distress and I've always been more of a Ripley Gonna Kick Some Alien Ass kind of chick. So when a friend suggested I read this I was hesitant.

I thought the universe of the vampires and the "lessers" was considered and written well. I think JR Ward did a pretty good job of creating a world of vampires, they're own history and spiritual paths outside of the human race. Yes, they're still not completely bad guys but they're not sparkling diamonds either.

If you want all the stuff that Twilight was missing, like sex and real vampires, this is the book for you. Oh yes, there is lots of sex in this book. It's not 50 Shades of Grey sex but it is hot and steamy nonetheless.

So yeah, if you want some literary lovin' and vampires and a pretty good worked out 'verse, this is good choice for you. I'm not sure if I'm going to continue reading the series or not. I liked the main characters in this novel and it seems that the second novel picks up with two different characters. I'd much rather read about the two characters from this novel. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
Review originally posted on Goodreads.

It took me the longest time to really get into this book because I could not get over what the author decided to name the brothers. Seriously? As soon as I was able to get past that (and some cheesy, cliched descriptions), I absorbed the book in one sitting and can't wait to read more! Another guilty pleasure added to the reading list~ ( )
  apollymipanthos | Feb 25, 2017 |
Wow. I was really surprised with the story between Wrath and Beth as well as the closeness of the "brotherhood." I don't read para normal or sci fi, because it is easier, for me, just to read contemporary. This was contemporary, romantic, sexy, and hot. The writing is flawless.

Will I continue to read more para normal and sci fi... Maybe... Probably... I know that i will continue reading the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I half way though #2... Lover Eternal ( )
  Sunshine22222 | Feb 19, 2017 |

Ward, J. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frangione, JimReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ahonen, Markesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Esener, Turhansecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lukács, Lászlónésecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richard, LaurenceTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to: / You, with awe and love. / Thank you for coming and finding me. / And for showing me the way. / It was the ride of a lifetime, / the best I've ever had.
Darius looked around the club, taking in the teeming, half-naked bodies on the dance floor. Screamer's was packed tonight, full of women wearing leather and men who looked like they had advanced degrees in violent crime.
"No one has ever spoken to me as you just did."

Shit.

"I'm really sorry. I just can't understand why --"

Wrath dragged her into his arms and hugged her hard, talking in that other language again. When he pulled back, he ended the monologue with something that sounded like leelan.

"Is that vampire talk for bitch?" she asked.

(p.248, chapter 31)
"Now tell me something. What's your word for husband?"

"Hellren, I suppose. The short version is just Hell."

She laughed softly. "Go figure."

(p.347, chapter 47)

Wrath, the leader of a Brotherhood of warrior vampires is entrusted with assisting the half-human daughter of one of his comrades with her "transition" -- the physical and sexual maturation of vampires, in which they need the blood of a fellow vampire of the opposite sex. He is prepared to do his duty and then send her away, but finds himself inexplicably drawn to her. The only problem is that he and his warrior brethren are fighting an army of undead slayers, who are aiming to turn up the heat on the brethren, and Beth isn't the only destiny he's been dodging.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451216954, Mass Market Paperback)

The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate-Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead-a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:52 -0400)

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,502,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible