Homeland by R.A. Salvatore
1,990None3,368 (3.94)39
Recently added bydschander, JDQ, Broc_Hervey, PawArmy, Jezalenko, private library, patsaintsfan, Jack_Saucer
adventure (8) Book 1 (6) D&D (36) Dark Elf (30) Dark Elf Trilogy (49) Drizzt (92) drow (27) ebook (18) elves (23) epic (6) epic fantasy (6) fantasy (439) fiction (124) Forgotten Realms (207) hardcover (6) high fantasy (7) Legend of Drizzt (12) magic (14) novel (11) own (14) paperback (15) R.A. Salvatore (15) read (25) Salvatore (10) series (23) sff (13) sword and sorcery (6) to-read (22) TSR (7) unread (8)

English (26)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (29)
Homeland by R.A. Salvatore.
The Legend of Drizzt #1

I read these books back in highschool. Lots of years ago. More than I like to admit to myself. For about the next month I want to read something that I don’t have to think about. These, along with the Dragonlance books, were my first introduction to fantasy novels. There’s a lot of nostalgic baggage that goes along with these books.

I would never recommend these books to someone who has sort of “matured’ in their fantasy reading. But for someone who just wants a good sword and magic vacation book, these are perfect.

When I read this series the first time I started with the Icewind Dale trilogy. These three dark elf books are prequels. But in most reading lists you see see them listed first. And it’s true, chronologically they come earlier.

But I would strongly disagree.

Reading these books first, it gives the impression that Salvatore is trying to create a gritty, dark and edgy storyline. But that’s just not what these books are.

Drizzt is a short skinny nimble Connan the Barbarian. Since the announcement for the next Drizzt book in 2014 just came out, I don’t think I’m spoiling anything by telling you that he always figures out a way to win out over the forces of evil. You know he’s going to win. You know he’s going to do the right thing. And you know he’s going to kick some ass along the way. He’ll protect his friends, and fight fiercely to protect the innocent.

This isn’t A Game Of Thrones where you get all anxious about your favorite character getting suddenly and violently offed in the next chapter. You’re safe to kick back and enjoy and know that the good guys are going to win.

But there’s the problem with reading the “Underdark” books first. They are meant to fill out the back story. To give Drizzt a bit of a troubled past. But if you start here, it’s his present, not his past. Sure, you get the story told in chronological order, but I would argue that it’s not as good as the Drizzt story where his Underdark days are more of a flashback.

For your enjoyment, start with the Icewind Dale trilogy.

These are just fun books, so I don’t know if it’s worth the deeper discussion. But, I wonder if the order you read them in doesn’t just change your enjoyment, but if there’s a less harmless change to the over all theme too. I read a harsh, but good, review of these book. A reader who was disturbed with the relentless and unredemptive darkness and violence in this book. The reviewer wasn’t wrong. And without the context of the moral beacon and defender of justice that Drizzt become, I’d have to agree with that assessment.

Flip it.

Start with Drizzt as a character always struggling with the “right thing”, and then step back into the dark past, and it makes his moral compass more remarkable.

Aaaaanyway…. Fun books. But start with the Icewind Dale trilogy. Take them on vacation. Or read them when you have to work stupid hours at work for a couple months and just want something to read while you’re going to sleep, or don’t want to think too much. Good action sequences. Swords, wizards, monsters, action galaore. Nothing too deep. ( )
  JohnnyPanic13 | Jan 12, 2014 |
Having read [b:The Crystal Shard|66693|The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)|R.A. Salvatore|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170653115s/66693.jpg|66280] back when it was first published I always remembered that I enjoyed the book but couldn't always remember too much about it. I finally picked up [b:Homeland|50027|Homeland (Forgotten Realms The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1)|R.A. Salvatore|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1288114416s/50027.jpg|2186426] to begin reading about Drizzt since I've always heard what a great character and set of stories he was in. Now I'm kicking myself for neglecting this great piece of Fantasy. [a:R.A. Salvatore|1023510|R.A. Salvatore|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1207159077p2/1023510.jpg] really distinguished this character among the world of Forgotten Realms and I can't wait to continue reading more. It may be possible that my procrastination was for the best since now I will enjoy the series even more than I would have back then. ( )
  capiam1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |
  smcamp1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |
[Homeland] by [[R.A. Salvatore]] tells the tale of a sensitive and intelligent child, Drizzt, who is a misfit in his violent, conscieneless society. Drizzt lives in Menzoberranzan, great city of the Drow (dark elves) in the vast under dark far below the surface of the planet. In this society hatred is accounted strength and friendship lasts only as long as it is advantageous. Yet Drizzt feels compassion, pity, honor - "weaknesses" that his unthinkingly heartless family cannot beat out of him. His one true friend, master swordsman Zaknifane, nurtures Drizzt's better side, but cannot break the trap in which he and his young protoge are caught. In the end, Drizzt must find his own way in the all-encompassing dark.

Although [Homeland] is chronologically the first tale in the saga of the drow (dark elf) Drizzt Do'Urden, it may not be the best place to start in that saga. I found the book violent, dull and unutterably dreary. Not till perhaps three quarters of the way through did it capture my interest. From that point on I was hooked and I have read all the subsequent volumes that are currently available from Audible. But I came very close to abandoning the book. It might be better to start with [The Cristal Shard] and then go back to [Homeland], [Exile] and [Sojourn] to understand what makes Drizzt tick before continuing with the second and third volumes of the Icewind Dale Trilogy. ( )
  Catreona | Jul 29, 2013 |
COMMENCE THE FANTASIZING! ( )
  morbusiff | May 9, 2013 |
To my best friend, my brother, Gary.
Never does a star grace this land with a poet's light of twinkling mysteries, nor does the sun send to here its rays of warmth and life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786939532, Mass Market Paperback)

The paperback edition of the first book in Salvatore’s classic dark elf tales.

This is the paperback version of the stunning new release of the classic R.A. Salvatore novel that begins the tale of his signature dark elf character, Drizzt Do-Urden™.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:31 -0400)

Drizzt Do'Urden, the honorable prince of a royal house in Menzoberranzan, must choose whether or not he can continue to live in his immoral homeland.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible