Homeland: The Dark Elf Trilogy, Part 1…

Homeland: The Dark Elf Trilogy, Part 1 (Forgotten Realms: The Legend of… (original 1990; edition 2005)

by R. A. Salvatore (Author)

Drizzt Do'Urden, the honorable prince of a royal house in Menzoberranzan, must choose whether or not he can continue to live in his immoral homeland.
Member:Falcon124
Title:Homeland: The Dark Elf Trilogy, Part 1 (Forgotten Realms: The Legend of Drizzt, Book I) (Bk. 1)
Authors:R. A. Salvatore (Author)
Info:Wizards of the Coast (2005), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages

Homeland by R. A. Salvatore (1990)

English (42)  Finnish (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (46)
Recommended by my husband who is a huge fan. This is an excellent example of good vs evil. However, it is very dark and violent. I will probably read the rest of the trilogy at some point. ( )
  abthompson | Jun 28, 2019 |
I am really attached to the character of Drizzt, but I grew tired of life in Menzoberranzan. I am looking forward to Exile, because being anywhere else has to be better!

Here's hoping! ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
The first of a long and enthralling epic, I can't say enough about how fun this book is. Drizzt is one of the best protagonists I've ever read about and the story crafting and world creation by Salvatore is truly remarkable. ( )
  Westbrookton | Apr 15, 2019 |
Having gotten into D&D a little with my kids, reading this was an attempt to see some game-specific story dynamics in action. I'd also seen it listed among favorite fantasy series. This book probably suffers from some of the problems common to pilot episodes, but it did give flavor to the game (useful to get running examples of the timing of magic use) and did a little unique world-building. There was little that was original, but a few fun twists on old themes. I haven't read Elric, but some of the dark elf love seems to originate from that classic.

Drizzt is an aggravating name. It's hard for me not to pronounce like the sound from a bug zapper.

I was hoping for some more original storytelling. For as many classic elements as it uses, there is still a feeling like it is a plot from an old He-Man episode, with the shoddy animation, reused backgrounds on loop, and cut scenes of villains pontificating in their throne rooms. I'll have to read more if I'm to get what is most loved about the series, but I'm not sure the invitation is tempting enough. ( )
  Ron18 | Feb 17, 2019 |
Summery: This book is about how a growing noble house of drow with their ambition for power try to make their way up taking any means necessary. When a male drow is born the night of a raid against house Devir. Drittz Do'Urden is born to be sacrificed that night. He only lives when the youngest prince before Drittz kills his older brother making Drittz the 3rd prince and not legible to be sacrificed. AS the book continues we see Drittz grow up but unlike the other drow he has compassion for others and does not want to follow The Spider queen, their deity. In the end we see him not fall into the evil grasps of drow society but, see him escape outside their city of Menzoberranzan and into the underdark.

Opinion: This book is a great book. Its the first book of a long series and is a good read. I like the idea of a person grown up to only believe in one thing try to escape and find himself. It has good story arks that makes the book enjoyable. It also has great fight scenes and you can clearly imagine where they live. Over all this is a good read. ( )
  AbagailC.B3 | Jun 5, 2018 |

R. A. Salvatoreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my best friend, my brother, Gary.
Never does a star grace this land with a poet's light of twinkling mysteries, nor does the sun send to here its rays of warmth and life.

Drizzt is a dark elf whose life is always in danger. Especially in a matriarchal society where males have very little value. He is abused and mistreated by his mother and sisters are out to get him. At long last he escapes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,314,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible