Homeland: The Dark Elf Trilogy, Part 1…

Homeland: The Dark Elf Trilogy, Part 1 (Forgotten Realms: The Legend of… (original 1990; edition 2005)

by R.A. Salvatore

Member:CosmicPariah
Title:Homeland: The Dark Elf Trilogy, Part 1 (Forgotten Realms: The Legend of Drizzt, Book I) (Bk. 1)
Authors:R.A. Salvatore
Info:Wizards of the Coast (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Homeland by R. A. Salvatore (1990)

English (31)  Finnish (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (35)
A fascinating world. Honestly, I think the cover is what kept me from enjoying to book more, the sickly colors painted the world and pushed me out of the pages. ( )
  LaPhenix | Mar 8, 2016 |
This was a fun read. The writing is sometimes forced, eg "as a drow, he had an innate racial ability to..." rather than descriptive, but overall I liked the character building and the story. ( )
  kparr | Dec 31, 2015 |
I'm still not sure how I feel about the fact that all the female characters are basically "evil" (at least from Drizzt's perspective, though they certainly don't seem very likable from my perspective either!)

On the one hand, I like the idea of "equal opportunity villains." Who says women can't be the bad guys? And how often do you see men as the subjugated group instead of women?

But on the other hand, the only two characters with any hint of virtue (at least by our standards) are both men, and it's not at all clear where they got this virtue, as it seems conspicuously absent from the women who dominate the dark elf society of the underworld. So I can't help but wonder: how did the men come by their "moral superiority," and will Drizzt ever encounter a woman with similar virtues? ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
Homeland is the origin of Drizzt DoUrden and the primer for Drow culture. The Drow have a Spartan-like society that glorifies war but there is no honor among them. Day to day life is filled with deceit, treachery, and lies. I've often thought if Robert E Howard and L Sprague de Camp had a love child, it would be Salvatore. He is a master of adventure! Read further to see how Drizzt transcends the Drow culture. ( )
  revslick | Jul 4, 2014 |
I loved this book, it is an amazing example of a great fantasy novel. I had serious trouble putting it down. Drizzt is such an awesome character and his story is completely engaging. The depth and complexity of the character makes for a wonderful connection and a great read. I truely cannot wait to read the next book in the series.I would recommend this to anyone. ( )
  sffstorm | Jun 9, 2014 |

R. A. Salvatoreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my best friend, my brother, Gary.
Never does a star grace this land with a poet's light of twinkling mysteries, nor does the sun send to here its rays of warmth and life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786939532, Mass Market Paperback)

The paperback edition of the first book in Salvatore’s classic dark elf tales.

This is the paperback version of the stunning new release of the classic R.A. Salvatore novel that begins the tale of his signature dark elf character, Drizzt Do-Urden™.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:59 -0400)

Drizzt Do'Urden, the honorable prince of a royal house in Menzoberranzan, must choose whether or not he can continue to live in his immoral homeland.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,198,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible