Homeland: The Dark Elf Trilogy, Part 1…

Homeland: The Dark Elf Trilogy, Part 1 (Forgotten Realms: The Legend of… (original 1990; edition 2005)

by R.A. Salvatore

Member:CosmicPariah
Title:Homeland: The Dark Elf Trilogy, Part 1 (Forgotten Realms: The Legend of Drizzt, Book I) (Bk. 1)
Authors:R.A. Salvatore
Info:Wizards of the Coast (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Homeland by R. A. Salvatore (1990)

English (32)  Finnish (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (36)
The story of friendship is alright, but the writing is not very good. References to the first book are extremely blatant and pull the reader out of the current flow. Constantly referring to the main character, Drizzt, as "the hunter" didn't make sense because the reader rarely see the character outright hunting, instead this is the 'role' that the character would play in a game where there are only so many 'roles' with specific names and actions. This doesn't make sense for a story. Similarly the 'racial abilities' were not described in a way that flowed with the actions but rather as a description from some fantasy encyclopedia.

Okay. ( )
  kparr | Dec 31, 2015 |
This was a fun read. The writing is sometimes forced, eg "as a drow, he had an innate racial ability to..." rather than descriptive, but overall I liked the character building and the story. ( )
  kparr | Dec 31, 2015 |
I'm still not sure how I feel about the fact that all the female characters are basically "evil" (at least from Drizzt's perspective, though they certainly don't seem very likable from my perspective either!)

On the one hand, I like the idea of "equal opportunity villains." Who says women can't be the bad guys? And how often do you see men as the subjugated group instead of women?

But on the other hand, the only two characters with any hint of virtue (at least by our standards) are both men, and it's not at all clear where they got this virtue, as it seems conspicuously absent from the women who dominate the dark elf society of the underworld. So I can't help but wonder: how did the men come by their "moral superiority," and will Drizzt ever encounter a woman with similar virtues? ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
The legend of Drizzt continues. I don't want to give anything away except go buy Homeland and then pick up Exile then hang on for a fun ride. ( )
  revslick | Aug 26, 2015 |
Homeland is the origin of Drizzt DoUrden and the primer for Drow culture. The Drow have a Spartan-like society that glorifies war but there is no honor among them. Day to day life is filled with deceit, treachery, and lies. I've often thought if Robert E Howard and L Sprague de Camp had a love child, it would be Salvatore. He is a master of adventure! Read further to see how Drizzt transcends the Drow culture. ( )
  revslick | Jul 4, 2014 |
To my best friend, my brother, Gary.
Never does a star grace this land with a poet's light of twinkling mysteries, nor does the sun send to here its rays of warmth and life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786939532, Mass Market Paperback)

The paperback edition of the first book in Salvatore’s classic dark elf tales.

This is the paperback version of the stunning new release of the classic R.A. Salvatore novel that begins the tale of his signature dark elf character, Drizzt Do-Urden™.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:59 -0400)

Drizzt Do'Urden, the honorable prince of a royal house in Menzoberranzan, must choose whether or not he can continue to live in his immoral homeland.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,188,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible