If Angels Burn by Lynn Viehl

If Angels Burn

by Lynn Viehl

Series: Darkyn (1)

Dark Lover by J. R. Ward (The_Holy_Terror)
    Dark Prince by Christine Feehan (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: I don't mean to suggest either of these books are good (they are not) but if you do like Viehl's book (series), you'll like this one of Feehan's too. Both are dark and detailed and cheesy vampire stories.

English (19)  German (1)  All languages (20)
This book really didn't impress me. I read it for the 2nd time recently. The series over all is awesome. This first book didn't really have the romance that the other books have. Maybe because the author had to give so much back story. It really is a great series. Gabriel's book (book 4) is my fave. ( )
  msphotogirl | Oct 19, 2015 |
Viehl's take on vampires. Interesting but not compelling. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |
Chicago plastic surgeon Alexandra Keller has a soft spot for victims, and no respect for pushy billionaires, so when a wealthy prospective client offers her a cool four million to come to New Orleans and operate in his home, she turns him down... repeatedly.

Unfortunately for Alexandra, Michael Cyprien isn't a man to take no for an answer. Kidnapped and threatened, Alex is still determined to resist - but Michael's injuries and amazing ability to heal present a challenge she can't resist. But Michael has a deadly secret, one that will cost Alex everything - but might end up bringing her more than she ever dreamed.

Not the most unique storyline, but likable characters and lots of action. ( )
  SunnySD | Aug 10, 2011 |
Well...

The bad points:
1) the "romance" component is essentially a rape (repeated) though the female character ends up not treating it like a rape (it's not really the 'women like being raped' theme, more like it's 'not really rape because he didn't intend to hurt her' theme).
2) too many bad guys thrown into the story (Brethren, John, Darkyn kicked out of Ireland for some reason, Angel... the king... oh the list goes on). I don't think I've met as many bad guys in one story before.
3) the author likes to 'tell' how people are feeling via dialogue rather than, I dunno, showing the reader through her writing skills.

The good points. Well, the world is very interesting. It's a slightly different take on vampirism than usual. Alexandra is interesting and sometimes a bit funny. The story is self-contained but there is a bit of a hook at the end that might induce me to read the next in the series.

Fundamentally I like the story but not the writing. I don't understand why so many authors think to develop angst they have to make rape read like 'romance'. Go check out Moning's Fever series where there's some sex (in the later books) TONS of angst and yet... no "rape as romance".

You can also check out my blog at http://the-shit-that-goes-on-in-my-head.com/ ( )
  crazybatcow | Apr 16, 2011 |
This series has sat on my tbr shelf for a long time, finally in the mood to read some new series. I did find it easy to get into this book, I did find some parts of the charachters annoying, the romance was a bit of a short fizzle. However I liked the angle it was coming from. Very much an interesting idea and will see me finish this series. I'm not sure it's a series that I would keep hold of though. ( )
  viciouslittlething | Jul 7, 2010 |

A renowned plastic surgeon is kidnapped by a mysterious millionaire who needs reconstructive work. Little does she know, her dubious patient is a vampire and he doesn't plan on letting her go.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451214773, Mass Market Paperback)

Alexandra Keller is Chicago's most brilliant reconstructive surgeon.  Michael Cyprien is New Orleans' most reclusive millionaire—and in desperate need of Dr. Keller's skills.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:19 -0400)

"Dr. Alexandra Keller is Chicago's most brilliant reconstructive surgeon. Michael Cyprien is New Orlean's most reclusive millionaire--and in desperate need of Dr. Keller's skills. Beneath the foundation of a mansion in the heart of the Garden District, Alexandra will perform an illegal surgery. Her patient's disfigurement is beyond medical repair. But his body's ability to recuperate from his wounds borders on the miraculous. Alexandra knows Michael Cyprien is no ordinary patient. Intrigued by how his remarkable physiology might benefit medical science, she is even more compelled by his presence--and the mystery surrounding him and his associates, a cadre of immortals who call themselves the Darkyn..."--Cover, P. [4].… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,738,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible