Killshot by Elmore Leonard

Killshot (1989)

by Elmore Leonard

English (11)  Swedish (1)  All languages (12)
This is a downloaded from my library & was my first by this author, so I gave it an extra star for being a good introduction. I don't know who narrated this - the info isn't even on the audio. He was good, though.

The story was fast paced & fairly well put together. There were a few times I wondered why the characters acted as they did, but not one of them was particularly normal. The bad guys were psychos, the authorities stuffed bureaucrats, & the victims were - great. Not exactly normal, but I liked them. They played well within a simple framework.

If you want a shot of fast action without a lot of thought required, Elmore provides a great ride. I'll definitely look for more audio books by this author. I doubt I'll bother buying any of his books, though. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
The first Leonard novel I've read. He is yet another author I had meant to get around to but who never made it to the top of the pile. Upon his death, and seeing various 'best of Leonard' lists, I picked this one up.

Unsurprisingly, it's quite good. I've known of his rules for writers and he certainly practiced what he preached. There's nothing superfluous here. He paints a vivid picture of his characters without making you conscious that he's painting that picture.

Armand Degas, a French-Canadian-Indian hitman, is almost, but not quite, a sympathetic character. Richie Nix is a two-bit sociopath, and yet Leonard is so subtle that you don't realize how awful he truly is until well into the novel.

I found the resolution surprising. The story feels like it's going one way, and then takes a few twists. It's good to not see everything coming.

Highly recommended. ( )
  wjohnston | Aug 31, 2013 |
This is my first Elmore Leonard book. The pace was fast, and I can see it play out like a movie - just a lot of action. It didn't have as much psychological intrigue as I wanted (I really had no expectation), and it reminded me a lot of "No Country for Old Men," or perhaps I wanted it to be more like it. I felt the main antagonist was a bit confusing, I couldn't tell if he was cold and intelligent, or just cold. There was definitely elements of intellect in Armand's behavior, but he was no Anton Chigurh - who's coldness was something to investigate and both fear and admire.

It's an entertaining story, though some of the character arcs seemed imbalanced. I couldn't tell who the protagonist was for much of the story, and the behavior of one of the federal agents (Ferris) seemed a bit too much. But otherwise a fun read - but not an excellent one. ( )
  deadseasquirrels | Apr 2, 2013 |
Last time I was ill I spent two days flat on my back without the strength to do much more than hold a book. Which author did I /know/ would come through for me – make the symptoms fade, even put a grin on my face? Elmore Leonard. The only reason I haven’t picked a book of his to recommend here until now is I was having trouble choosing a perfect one to start with. Now I’ve found it.
Killshot is about two killers and what happens when an unlucky coincidence puts a sweet married couple on their hitlist. Leonard’s famous for his dialogue and characterisation; Killshot‘s a beacon for both. But unlike some of his other books – and this was my difficulty picking one: to me Leonard on a tangent still leaves most other authors looking like they’re going backwards, but your mileage may vary – Killshot has one of the tightest, smartest, most satisfying /plots/ of his entire and near-inhumanly awesome output.
Elmore Leonard’s writing has been a standby source of delight and solace for most of my adult life. If you haven’t yet discovered it for yourself, try Killshot. It’s better than medicine. ( )
  othersam | Oct 25, 2012 |
Great character depth. Told in a very matter-of-fact style that made the story seem real. Will definitely look for more from Mr.Leonard. ( )
  5hrdrive | Jul 19, 2012 |
FOR GREGG SUTTER
The Blackbird told himself he was drinking too much because he lived in this hotel and the Silver Dollar was close by, right downstairs.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061563862, Mass Market Paperback)

Ironworker Wayne Colson and his spirited wife Carmen are witnesses to a shakedown scam -- witnesses who must be eliminated -- in one of Elmore Leonard's all-time great novels. Abridged. 3 CDs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:53 -0400)

Carmen saw the scam. And now she and Wayne, her ironworker husband, have to pay. Because Blackbird kills smart and deadly. Richie kills stupid and crazy. Both are out to erase any living evidence -- and when these lethal partners take up the chase, a safe place from killing is awfully hard to find.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,434,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible