Swords Against Wizardry by Fritz Leiber

Swords Against Wizardry (original 1968; edition 2014)

by Fritz Leiber (Author)

Member:Kythe42
Title:Swords Against Wizardry
Authors:Fritz Leiber (Author)
Info:Open Road Media Sci-Fi & Fantasy (2014), 224 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, Own

Swords Against Wizardry by Fritz Leiber (1968)

Recently added byScottLaz, cmc, private library, 123stephane, eloquinn, Kythe42, weemadarthur, caess, EdJWebb

English (13)  Polish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (16)
I thought this was an underwhelming entry in the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser saga. It's an interesting conceit - first climbing a tall mountain near Fafhrd's homeland, and then descending into a war fought in an underground kingdom - but the stories didn't grab my attention like earlier entries. I still appreciate his approach to S&S, and I'm hoping I'll enjoy the next volume. ( )
  wjohnston | Apr 15, 2016 |
This set of stories was good, but I was a little let down on the greatest thieves. I didn't think the ending was consistent with the characters. Fafhrd and Mouser are still an excellent mix of sword & sorcery, humor, and good writing. If you like the others, continue reading. If you haven't read them yet, what are you waiting for? ( )
  wvlibrarydude | Sep 6, 2015 |
A really cool novel about the heroes embarking in a quest based on a riddled message, that later on transforms into a very different novel when the two of them part ways and go underground. The difference in textures and situations makes it a very entertaining mountain and cavern novel. ( )
  gedece | Jul 27, 2015 |
The time has come for sorcery and swords.

After a somewhat disappointing third volume in the LANKHMAR series, Fritz Leiber is back to form in Swords Against Wizardry. This book contains four stories about Fafhrd the big red-headed barbarian, and The Gray Mouser, the small wily magician-thief. Three of the stories come from the pulp magazine Fantastic and the first story was created for this volume as an introduction. The stories fit so well together that they almost feel like a novel.

“In the Witch’s Tent” is a very short introductory story in which Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser visit a witch who prophesies about the events to come in the next story.

http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/swords-against-wizardry/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

The time has come for sorcery and swords.

After a somewhat disappointing third volume in the Lankhmar series, Fritz Leiber is back to form in Swords Against Wizardry. This book contains four stories about Fafhrd the big red-headed barbarian, and The Gray Mouser, the small wily magician-thief. Three of the stories come from the pulp magazine Fantastic and the first story was created for this volume as an introduction. The stories fit so well together that they almost feel like a novel.

In the novella “Stardock” (1965, Fantastic), our heroes and an ice-cat companion climb the forbidding mountain Stardock where they hope to find “a pouch of stars.” This story is slow in the beginning when the boys are climbing, but once they conquer Stardock, things get pretty exciting and, after leaving some incubating DNA behind, they leave the mountain with a bag of jewels that can only be seen at night. All of Fritz Leiber’s stories are gorgeously written, but “Stardock” has some of my favorite lines:

Fafhrd said dreamily, “They say the gods once dwelt and had their smithies on Stardock and from thence, amid jetting fire and showering sparks, launched all the stars; hence her name. They say diamonds, rubies, smaragds — all great gems — are the tiny pilot models the gods made of the stars... and then threw carelessly away across the world when their great work was done.”

I wish I could play those lines for you from the audio version read by Jonathan Davis. It’s beautiful.

“The Two Best Thieves in Lankhmar” (1968, Fantastic) is a fun short story that takes place after the boys return to the city after their conquest of Stardock. Apparently they got sick of each other on the way home (that happens occasionally and is a clue to the type of story that comes next), so they split up the jewels and went their separate ways. Both are trying to sell their share of the jewels, which is a problem because these gems can only be seen at night. When the story begins, the reader assumes that “The Two Best Thieves in Lankhmar” refers to Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, but we all learn soon enough that what the Mouser says is true: Deal with a woman — surest route to disaster.

“The Lords of Quarmall" (1964, Fantastic) is one of my favorite Leiber novellas. Having split up for a time, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser have, unbeknownst to them, each been hired to be the champion of two horrible brothers who hate each other and who want their father’s throne. The brother who hired the Mouser lives in subterranean caves underneath the brother who hired Fafhrd. Even though we can guess how the story will end, this is a creative tale with a grand setting. Fritz Leiber’s fantastic imagination is on full display in this story, and it beautifully highlights the sweet relationship these two rogues have with each other.

I can’t heap enough praise on the audio version of the Lankhmar books. Jonathan Davis is one of the best voice performers and these are some of his best performances. If you listen to audiobooks, don’t miss this series. If you don’t listen to audiobooks, listen to these and you’ll be converted. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Fritz Leiberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jeff JonesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojtekCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ce livre est dédié à Harry Otto Fischer qui fut le premier à explorer quarmall et qui, sur ce royaume souterrain, écrivit dix mille mots qui sont encore ici, dans ce récit, inchangés.
Additionnellement, la deuxième nouvelle, Le quai des étoiles est dédié à deux alpinistes audacieux : Poul Andreson et Paul Turner.
F.L.
La vieille sorcière se pencha sur le brasier dont les volutes de fumée grise se mêlaient à ses mèches noires tombant en désordre.

Fahrd and the Gray Mouser, master swordsmen, are determined to climb to the summit of Stardock, a dangerously steep mountain, in search of treasure.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,580,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible