It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a…

It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much… (2009)

by Heather Armstrong

Very funny book. I laughed out loud in many parts, then calmed down, re-read the sentence, and laughed again. It was entertaining and enjoyable. I must admit, as a single woman, this book was better than birth control: Armstrong talks openly about her pregnancy and giving birth, including bodily functions, episiotomies, and the pain of rock-hard breasts and cracked nipples. However, I thought the book would focus more on Armstrong's post-partum depression, how she suffered through it, and the treatment she received. That was not quite a chapter at the end. The majority of the book was cheerful and loving, and her depression was touched on in such a light manner it seemed like merely a day she lived through without candy. So while it was a good book, it wasn't what I was expecting, nor why I was reading it. I'm passing it along to my friends with kids. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
this is a funny book by a talented writer. i am impressed that she was able to so perfectly put into words the experience of taking care of an infant. whenever i try to describe it, words fail me and all i can come up with is, "it is so hard". but she manages to explain why it's hard with great honesty, feeling, and wit. it was an added bonus that i laughed out loud at least once per chapter. highly recommended for parents, though i have a feeling that many non-parents would enjoy it too. ( )
  julierh | Apr 7, 2013 |
Definitely hilarious. A little one-dimensional. It read pretty much the same way her blog reads, and despite the structure (nine months of pregnancy, the first nine months after the baby's birth), it doesn't really have a story arc. Worth reading for the laughs, and for a heads-up about the things they (apparently) don't tell you... ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
Screamingly funny, heartbreakingly honest... Heather Armstrong has a remarkable way with words and a willingness to let it all hang out in the interest of both entertaining and letting us know that we are not alone. Everyone who has ever been in love, been pregnant, become a parent, suffered from depression will recognizeherself in Heather. I have seldom laughed so hard or empathized with suffering so much. A thoroughly engrossing and entertaining book. ( )
  lhtouchton | Feb 11, 2012 |
Funny at times but a bit disjointed. ( )
  mtrumbo | Nov 28, 2011 |
For Mary Krause Fowler, the teacher who encouraged me to rhyme
Many years ago, I started a personal website so that I could share my thoughts on pop culture with a few of my friends scattered around the country.

From the creator of one of the most popular personal blogs on the Web comes an irreverent and captivating parenting memoir covering the joys and indignities of pregnancy, childbirth, and all the unexpected emotions that come with having a baby.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,764,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible