The Lost Gate (Mither Mages) by Orson Scott…

The Lost Gate (Mither Mages) (edition 2011)

by Orson Scott Card (Author)

1,194759,785 (3.69)60
Member:bobtheskull
Title:The Lost Gate (Mither Mages)
Authors:Orson Scott Card (Author)
Info:Tor Fantasy (2011), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages

The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (lyrrael)
    Black Blade Blues by J. A. Pitts (kqueue)
    kqueue: Also a contemporary urban fantasy featuring Norse mythology in the modern world and a protagonist who struggles with unknown power.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (bclanphere)
    bclanphere: Similar plot of a young adult with inexplicable powers, that does not realize the full extent of her powers until the end. Both characters struggle with authority.
    Eye For Eye/The Tunesmith by Orson Scott Card (KilroyWasHere)
    Stargate by Pauline Gedge (amarie)
    The Silent Strength of Stones by Nina Kiriki Hoffman (infiniteletters)
    Jumper by Steven Gould (infiniteletters)
    Magician by Raymond E. Feist (johnnyapollo)
    johnnyapollo: There are some common elements - magic, youth finding inexplicable powers, epic scale.

The binding on this book made it really difficult to read. I don't know if all copies had such tight inner margins, but this one did and it drove me nuts. If I ever stumble across another copy, that is properly spaced, and the typeset doesn't go clear into the fold, I'll resume reading.
  bookczuk | Apr 3, 2018 |
Card has an interesting way of writing dialog that is funny but at the same time slightly unrealistic.
The Lost Gate started great, with a boy who thought he had been born magicless in a family of mages. The middle started to lose me, with the search for the boy's power dragging out for most of the book. By the last hundred pages I thought there was no way the story would wrap up, and although it did, it left enough dangly edges that a sequel is inevitable. I probably won't read it.
I mostly picked this up because the release of the Ender's Game movie reminded me how much I loved that book. The Lost Gate wasn't on the same level for me. ( )
  SoubhiKiewiet | Mar 20, 2018 |
I look forward to the next book in this series. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
The boyfriend and I were talking science fiction/fantasy novels one evening, and he suggested I read this series that he had recently read, "about mages by Orson Scott Card." Not much of a description to go on, but I thought why not. I loved the Ender's Game series so this was probably pretty good. If not, I didn't have to finish it.

Long story, short: I loved it! I gobbled it up in just a few days, and immediately purchased the next two books in the series.

The main character, Danny, is a little shit, but he really can't help it -- it's just his nature. Plus, his family is just awful! Trust me on this. Awful.

The story blends together a modern setting, Scandinavian gods like Odin and Thor, and inter-dimensional travel into a wonderful tale of coming-of-age and good and evil. I highly recommend it. ( )
  Raeleigh | Feb 23, 2018 |
I think this might be my favorite of all his works ( )
  DelightedLibrarian | Jan 2, 2018 |

Card, Orson Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blumen, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Phillip and Erin Absher
After all we've shared over the years,
From California to Kansas,
From Provence to Myrtle Beach,
With all the magics along the way:
This book is for you.
Danny North grew up surrounded by fairies, ghosts, talking animals, living stones, walking trees, and gods who called up wind and brought down rain, made fire from air and drew iron out of the depth of the earth as easily as ordinary people might draw up water from a well.

In the ancient world, pantheons of gods ruled over every society of man, until the trickster, Loki, sealed off the source of their power. Ever since they have been forced to live with greatly diminished power amongst the humans they used to rule.

Danny North has discovered that he has the powers of a gate mage, making him one of the most powerful members of his family of former gods. Unfortunately this earns him a death sentence. Ever since their fall, the former gods have made a pact that anyone who shows the same power as Loki, the power of a gate mage, must be killed immediately lest one pantheon be the only one to return to its former greatness. Danny must flee from his family and fend for himself in the society of normal humans while he learns to use his power and recover the greatness for all mages that Loki stole so long ago.

Meanwhile in the world of Westil, the home world of the gods, a boy has been released from his ancient imprisonment inside a tree. He has no recollection of who he is or how he became imprisoned. All he knows is that he too has the great powers of a gate mage and that he has forgotten something very important.
Ye gods! Teenager

Learns about himself and his

Dangerous powers.

(legallypuzzled)

Danny grew up in a family compound in Virginia, believing that he alone of his family had no magical power. But he was wrong. Kidnapped from his high school by a rival family, he learns that he has the power to reopen the gates between Earth and the world of Westil.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Orson Scott Card's book The Lost Gate was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,984,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible