The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card

The Lost Gate (edition 2011)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:legallypuzzled
Title:The Lost Gate
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Books (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:fantasy, read in 2013, LT Haiku

The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (lyrrael)
    Black Blade Blues by J. A. Pitts (kqueue)
    kqueue: Also a contemporary urban fantasy featuring Norse mythology in the modern world and a protagonist who struggles with unknown power.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (bclanphere)
    bclanphere: Similar plot of a young adult with inexplicable powers, that does not realize the full extent of her powers until the end. Both characters struggle with authority.
    Eye For Eye/The Tunesmith by Orson Scott Card (KilroyWasHere)
    Stargate by Pauline Gedge (amarie)
    The Silent Strength of Stones by Nina Kiriki Hoffman (infiniteletters)
    Jumper by Steven Gould (infiniteletters)
    Magician by Raymond E. Feist (johnnyapollo)
    johnnyapollo: There are some common elements - magic, youth finding inexplicable powers, epic scale.

Orson Scott Card definitely still has very interesting ideas, but his storytelling is not quite as good as it once was, still good, but not great. The main characters are never in any real danger here and none of the characters are very well-rounded (the good people are completely good and there really aren't any bad people). If all you want is a good story, and don't care too much about the characters, this is a good read. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
Good, but not wonderful. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have never been so excited to have a book show up on my doorstep as I was with this book. I opened the package, read the first few words, and was so hooked that it was next to impossible to put it down. I had to absolutely force myself to not read it in a single night, to make it last, because I knew I wasn't going to get another book like this for a very, very long time.

Leading the book is a benevolent trickster, one who grew up as a misfit with no power, and finds out accidently that he is actually one of the most powerful (and most feared) kinds of mages - a gatemage. When he was almost discovered, he ran away from home with absolutely no idea of how the world actually works, and somehow, one way or another, ends up alright, despite having to worry about the threat of the Gate Thief.

Card gently and skillfully explores the pain and uncertainty of adolescence, and that of being rejected by those you love, and forming your own way out of the ashes out of that rejection. He spends some time on the need for inclusion, to fit in, and it's a big part of the lead character's psyche to really find out how other people live, despite being raised to disdain regular peoples' lives. I think Card's understanding of the psychology of his characters really made the book more real to me.

Even as the The Lost Gate left me with unanswered questions and curiosity about the future, it did it gently. I'm not going to be ravenous for the next book like I am for the next book in GRRM's series, but quite content to wait -- and if there isn't one, I'll live. I think that's actually a marker of Card's strength as a writer -- he could have left the book on some absolutely painful cliffhangers quite easily.

Reading this book absolutely reminded me of reading Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman, and this book is absolutely one of Card's best. Very much worth a read, and thank you for the opportunity to read it early. ( )
  lyrrael | May 19, 2014 |
Card's style is distinctive. Sometimes I'm not too crazy about his characters. Unfortunately, the main character of this book, Danny, was not one of my favorites. The novel had two storylines going; the secondary storyline was, by far, the more interesting and more believable, even though it was more "fantastical." I'd have preferred much more about the "other" world and less about the rather unlikeable Danny. ( )
  marti.booker | Dec 2, 2013 |
Sometimes I can look past an artist (whether they are a singer, writer, screenwriter, producer, etc) and their personal opinions. In this case I can't.
  kerrikins | Sep 25, 2013 |

Card, Orson Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blumen, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Phillip and Erin Absher
After all we've shared over the years,
From California to Kansas,
From Provence to Myrtle Beach,
With all the magics along the way:
This book is for you.
Danny North grew up surrounded by fairies, ghosts, talking animals, living stones, walking trees, and gods who called up wind and brought down rain, made fire from air and drew iron out of the depth of the earth as easily as ordinary people might draw up water from a well.

In the ancient world, pantheons of gods ruled over every society of man, until the trickster, Loki, sealed off the source of their power. Ever since they have been forced to live with greatly diminished power amongst the humans they used to rule.

Danny North has discovered that he has the powers of a gate mage, making him one of the most powerful members of his family of former gods. Unfortunately this earns him a death sentence. Ever since their fall, the former gods have made a pact that anyone who shows the same power as Loki, the power of a gate mage, must be killed immediately lest one pantheon be the only one to return to its former greatness. Danny must flee from his family and fend for himself in the society of normal humans while he learns to use his power and recover the greatness for all mages that Loki stole so long ago.

Meanwhile in the world of Westil, the home world of the gods, a boy has been released from his ancient imprisonment inside a tree. He has no recollection of who he is or how he became imprisoned. All he knows is that he too has the great powers of a gate mage and that he has forgotten something very important.
Ye gods! Teenager

Learns about himself and his

Dangerous powers.

(legallypuzzled)

Danny grew up in a family compound in Virginia, believing that he alone of his family had no magical power. But he was wrong. Kidnapped from his high school by a rival family, he learns that he has the power to reopen the gates between Earth and the world of Westil.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,318,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible