The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card

The Lost Gate (edition 2011)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:legallypuzzled
Title:The Lost Gate
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Books (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:fantasy, read in 2013, LT Haiku

The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (lyrrael)
    Black Blade Blues by J. A. Pitts (kqueue)
    kqueue: Also a contemporary urban fantasy featuring Norse mythology in the modern world and a protagonist who struggles with unknown power.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (bclanphere)
    bclanphere: Similar plot of a young adult with inexplicable powers, that does not realize the full extent of her powers until the end. Both characters struggle with authority.
    Eye For Eye/The Tunesmith by Orson Scott Card (KilroyWasHere)
    Stargate by Pauline Gedge (amarie)
    The Silent Strength of Stones by Nina Kiriki Hoffman (infiniteletters)
    Jumper by Steven Gould (infiniteletters)
    Magician by Raymond E. Feist (johnnyapollo)
    johnnyapollo: There are some common elements - magic, youth finding inexplicable powers, epic scale.

It's a little bit Percy Jackson meets American Gods. For me things just seemed to flow along too easy for Danny even if that perfectly fits the characters magical gifts. Danny just seems to float along without any real consequences, and while its a coming of age story there doesn't seem to be any character development for him.

The Wad story line was just plain depressing to me, and even though it all ties together nicely in the end it was just not a lot of fun. I do really like the magic system and i'd like to see how more of the different powers work. I'm hoping my complaints with this book are just about this book being the set up book for the rest of the series.

GSB68 | May 19, 2015 |
Just once, JUST ONCE, I would like to read an engrossing fantasy novel that is something other than a set up for a series. I enjoyed this about 5/6ths of the way through, until it became clear that the questions raised were not going to be resolved within the book. We all know that fans of the fantasy genre like to read series. Heck, even I like a good series. But I would also really enjoy a book that manages to answer the (intriguing! thrilling! Mind-boggling!) questions and plot points raised within the novel that raises them.

Now that the rant is over...

I picked this up after my husband praised it to the skies. It was interesting to me that it coincided so nicely with the Percy Jackson YA work that I've been reading. Another twist on the children of the gods theme, with a little of the flavor or Neil Gaiman's American Gods, this is a really nice entry into the gods-in-modern-life mini-genre. While I confess that I was lost a bit on the explanations of making a gate, which is why I generally prefer fantasy to sci-fi, Danny's slow realization and exploration of his powers really resonated. The concepts and characters were believable and incredibly intriguing, though I did find the main character of Danny to be flattest of them all. He is described as a trickster, and does perform many trickster-like moves, but his point-of-view narration is straightforward and undercuts the personality Card tries to build. That, and the abrupt ending that solves nothing, were what kept it from five stars for me. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
Fun read! Explains how gods like the Northern gods Thor, and Odin, Loki, along with the Greek gods, Zues, Hermès, and all other gods the Earth has seen since creation ended up here. Tells the story of a boy who has been born with the one power that is a death sentence if any of the other gods find out. Plus it's Orson Scott Card so you know it's good. ( )
  Kyle.Rose | Jan 5, 2015 |
Orson Scott Card definitely still has very interesting ideas, but his storytelling is not quite as good as it once was, still good, but not great. The main characters are never in any real danger here and none of the characters are very well-rounded (the good people are completely good and there really aren't any bad people). If all you want is a good story, and don't care too much about the characters, this is a good read. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
Good, but not wonderful. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |

Card, Orson Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blumen, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Phillip and Erin Absher
After all we've shared over the years,
From California to Kansas,
From Provence to Myrtle Beach,
With all the magics along the way:
This book is for you.
Danny North grew up surrounded by fairies, ghosts, talking animals, living stones, walking trees, and gods who called up wind and brought down rain, made fire from air and drew iron out of the depth of the earth as easily as ordinary people might draw up water from a well.

In the ancient world, pantheons of gods ruled over every society of man, until the trickster, Loki, sealed off the source of their power. Ever since they have been forced to live with greatly diminished power amongst the humans they used to rule.

Danny North has discovered that he has the powers of a gate mage, making him one of the most powerful members of his family of former gods. Unfortunately this earns him a death sentence. Ever since their fall, the former gods have made a pact that anyone who shows the same power as Loki, the power of a gate mage, must be killed immediately lest one pantheon be the only one to return to its former greatness. Danny must flee from his family and fend for himself in the society of normal humans while he learns to use his power and recover the greatness for all mages that Loki stole so long ago.

Meanwhile in the world of Westil, the home world of the gods, a boy has been released from his ancient imprisonment inside a tree. He has no recollection of who he is or how he became imprisoned. All he knows is that he too has the great powers of a gate mage and that he has forgotten something very important.
Ye gods! Teenager

Learns about himself and his

Dangerous powers.

(legallypuzzled)

Danny grew up in a family compound in Virginia, believing that he alone of his family had no magical power. But he was wrong. Kidnapped from his high school by a rival family, he learns that he has the power to reopen the gates between Earth and the world of Westil.… (more)

73 wanted1 pay5 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,852,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible