Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman

Blueberry Girl (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Neil Gaiman, Charles Vess (Illustrator)

Member:bnlmoore
Title:Blueberry Girl
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Charles Vess (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:womanhood

Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman (2009)

Recently added byyukonjane, ohdrat, beserene, Boggs_School, SixSeasons, private library, mcghol, Clare_M, kelpi_b, maribou

This is such a sweet book...has a new age feel. Written for a pregnant mama. Contains the hopes and dreams anyone could feel for their children.

Reminds me of the email chain that was a letter from a grandparent to a grandchild. This book is similar in that is doesn't wish for all to be well and sweet and tidy all the time...but that life will hand challenges to you and may you do well with them.

The tone and some of the illustrations (not the style but the theme) reminded me of the book On The Day You Were Born by Debra Frasier. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
Pretty illustrations and a sense of hopefulness mark this book. It's lighter than other Neil Gaiman books I've read. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
"O wonderful, wonderful, and most wonderful wonderful! and yet again wonderful, and after that, out of all whooping!" This is a lovely invocation, a hopeful incantation, a blessing and a beautiful wish. I've just fallen in love with Gaiman all over again. The words are exquisite and the illustrations extraordinary. It's a book I will buy for every girl baby born into my life from here on. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Gaiman's children's novels are extremely hit or miss with me. I didn't particularly care for this but I'm not the intended audience either. I only read this because the librarians were taking forever and a day to get a book from the closed stacks for me.

Not creepy at all. (I'm not rating this, since I'd hate to drag the rating down when it wasn't written for my age group.)
  Melanti | Mar 30, 2013 |
This is a sweet little rhyme of a prayer more suitable for a one-on-one read-aloud at home, rather than school. Vess' illustrations are superb and detailed. Appropriate as a gift for a newborn little girl, a girl going off to college, or any time.
  hcurrey | Jan 30, 2013 |
If you can read this without smiling or tearing up, you're made of sterner stuff than me.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Apr 20, 2009)

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
I wrote this for Tori, and for Tash, when she was only a bump and a due date. With love, Neil.

This one is for my mom, who was always there for me, my first admirer and critic. All my love from your son, Charles.
Ladies of light and ladies of darkness and ladies of never-you-mind, this is a prayer for a blueberry girl.

My son, Liam, said
"It's not about anything!"
And, boy, was he right.
(timspalding)

Rhyming text expresses a prayer for a girl to be protected from such dangers as nightmares at age three or false friends at fifteen, and to be granted clearness of sight and other favors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,695,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible