Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman

Blueberry Girl (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Neil Gaiman, Charles Vess (Illustrator)

Member:bnlmoore
Title:Blueberry Girl
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Charles Vess (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:womanhood

Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman (2009)

Summary: This book is a prayer told in poetry form for a young girl from her journal from a baby to being an adult. It is a life a parent wishes for their daughter to have. It is also what every girl wishes for herself. In the prayer it talks about keeping her from sleep at sixteen, and granting her clearness of sight. It also says to, "Grant her the wisdom to choose her path right'" (pg.14). It also mentions to, "Teach her were only as big as our dreams," (pg.22).

Critique: This is a sweet book to dedicate to your daughter, but I don't think children in elementary will understand it in my opinion. I had a hard time understanding it at first. I had to reread it to really understand it.

Prompts: Have white paper on the board and while reading write down some of the things mentioned in the book. Then have students tell you what they think it means.

Craft Element:
Reading- Shows students an example of poetry (Shows students that it doesn't have to rhyme in order to be poetry.
Writing- Have students write their own poetry (Have students think of someone special in their lives and write something poetic for them)
  Kim_Brewer2017 | Sep 6, 2016 |
I like this in principle--he wants the girl to be a blazing heart and strong, live live live and be unburdened by losers, etc.--and the art is full of animals and luminous beings, yes, a bit like a kid's Sandman--but I felt it was a bit disjointed for me, and I think Emmett agreed somewhat: there's the girl, whoa, who are those three norns or erinyes, oh phew they're gone, now some animals, the owl is still with her but the others are just hanging, but these whales are awesome I want some more whales, where are the whales, oh her mum looks nice, but where are the whales, hmmm here is a highly abstract representation of the circle of life and a wall that may have powerful symbolism or may be just a wall, I'm not sure I am keeping up completely with this astral journey, oh well, at least there were some more whales before the end, I think was kind of his process. But it's pretty and has a good message. ( )
1 vote MeditationesMartini | May 19, 2016 |
I got this as a gift for a very special little girl. It is an amazing little poem and beautifully illustrated. She adores it. Every little girl needs this book! ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |
Not so much a book for children as it is for the parents who hold hopes and dreams for their little ones. ("Nightmares at three or bad husbands at thirty, these will not trouble her eyes" isn't exactly what you expect to hear at storytime!) An inspirational gift book for parents of girls. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I love Neil Gaiman's writing in all its forms, be it novels, comics or picture books. This is no exception. However,the text seems to really be written from an adult perspective, as it has an element of time that could be hard to grasp for young children. Nevertheless, this book represents all my hope and dreams for my future daughter. The pages are filled with love and the words ring sincere. It is a poetic ode to little girls everywhere and I can't wait to read it to my niece. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Feb 25, 2015 |
If you can read this without smiling or tearing up, you're made of sterner stuff than me.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Apr 20, 2009)

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
I wrote this for Tori, and for Tash, when she was only a bump and a due date. With love, Neil.

This one is for my mom, who was always there for me, my first admirer and critic. All my love from your son, Charles.
Ladies of light and ladies of darkness and ladies of never-you-mind, this is a prayer for a blueberry girl.

My son, Liam, said
"It's not about anything!"
And, boy, was he right.
(timspalding)

Rhyming text expresses a prayer for a girl to be protected from such dangers as nightmares at age three or false friends at fifteen, and to be granted clearness of sight and other favors.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,136,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible