Devoured by Amanda Marrone

Devoured (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Amanda Marrone

Member:readingdate
Title:Devoured
Authors:Amanda Marrone
Info:Simon Pulse (2009), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:to-read

Devoured by Amanda Marrone (2009)

English (8)  Italian (1)  All languages (9)
this book is about how Megan’s twin sister Remy died in an accident nine years ago, Remy been haunting her for 9 years. Megan kept this to herself even though she is scared, the reason she kept it to herself is because her own mother doesn’t believe her she thinks it is her fault that her sister is dead. Everything was change when she gets a new summer job at Land of Enchantment to keep an eye on her new boyfriend. Megan always come her with her sister when she was little. While she was working at Land of Enchantment, she meat Luke, the guy who can see REMY (her dead sister). Megan was really happy to find someone who can see Remy. Megan mad a new friend named Ari. Ari was kind and she had a crash on Luke. But everything got twisted around when Megan starts to fall in love with Luke. Megan keeps having a vision that isn’t making any sense to her! So Luke and she went in these great avengers. But Ari was really joules!! What is Ari going to do next????
  swonnacott | Nov 3, 2011 |
Megan has been haunted by her twin sister Remy, since the family was in an accident and Dad and Remy drowned. When Megan decides to get a job at the local amusement park to keep an eye on her boyfriend, she meets Luke, the only other person who can see and hear Remy. Lately the visions Remy shows Megan are increasingly disturbing, and reveal a gruesome murder.
I liked this non-typical spin on Sleeping Beauty, and the fact that it is a stand alone story. The characters are pretty interesting. There is a little romance to enjoy in this story, also. ( )
  readingbeader | Jun 23, 2011 |
Ever since a horrific car accident nine years ago, Megan has been haunted by the ghost of her dead twin sister, Remy. Megan, in an attempt to keep an eye of her boyfriend and his perky best friend, takes up a summer job at the amusement park, Land of Enchantment. On her first day there, Remy comes and gives Megan a horrifying vision. Megan isn't the only one who saw Remy this time, however. Luke, a cute guy who works at the park, is determined to help Megan and get her twin sister to move on. But Remy is becoming more and more insistent and much more terrifying, bringing violent visions of whats to come.

I would not call this book a retelling of Snow White. It's more of a continuation of "what-if". After the prologue, the only references to Snow White come much later in the novel. So I don't really recommend this book if you are looking for a good fairytale.

I didn't enjoy this book too much, but it was different. For me it fluctuated between original, weird, and just plain stupid. The writing is nothing to give a hoot about. Plot-wise, things were uneven. I think the book jumped into the story too fast, took a break, and then finished in a rush.

The characters were thinly developed, but some did manage to surprise me at the end. I didn't like Megan though. She devoted more time to fussing about relationships than in mourning when something horrific happened. She just wasn't very smart. Luke was of the typical love interest fare. He was cute, yet understanding. And terribly, terribly cliched.

I would have to say the tone was overall light, even though there were some pretty gruesome scenes. Not that the reader was given any time to make an emotional connection to the event.

The book wasn't good, but wasn't horrible. I know some people will like it. I wouldn't discourage anyone from picking this up, especially if they were looking for a book to go in between heavier reads. ( )
1 vote Awesomeness1 | Jul 30, 2010 |
I love fairy tale retellings, so I was excited to read this modern day retelling of Snow White. This ended up being an okay book but definitely didn't blow me away. The book was fairly engaging but not all that fairy tale like; I found the interpretation of the fairy tale to be a bit bizarre.

Megan's life changed as a result of a horrible car crash. Her father is in a coma, her mom is obsessed with doing dancing routines with their dog, and Megan is haunted by the ghost of her twin sister Remy. When Megan's boyfriend Ryan gets a job with his best friend Samantha to work at The Land of Enchantment (a fairy tale themed amusement park); Megan decides to get a job there too in order to keep on eye on Ryan and his supposed "friendship" with Samantha. Once Megan accepts the job things start getting bizarre. Remy's ghost really starts cranking up the heat and showing Megan gory and bizarre images; then Megan meets Luke who can also see Remy's ghost. Megan also meets the overly jealous Ari. Now it is up to Megan to figure out what Remy wants before things get out of hand and people start dying.

The premise of this novel is a bit bizarre. Just the fact that Megan gets a job with her boyfriend because she doesn't trust him doesn't make her a very likable character. The whole point of this book is to show how jealousy can destroy a person and it does that in spades. Oh and also supposedly there is a curse that involves a magic mirror that has been influencing Ari's family.

The writing is pretty average and the book itself is fairly engaging. I never really got bored with it but the plot is a bit confused. First Megan is trying to figure out what Remy is trying to tell her, then she is convinced that letting her dad die is the way to get Remy of her case. Somehow this all leads up to a serial killer being on the loose. Woven into all this is a lot of teenage angsting about how Megan should be faithful to Ryan even though she has the hots for Luke and Ryan obviously wants to get with Samantha anyway. I personally don't get into all the teenage relationship blather, but that is probably because I am not a teenager anymore...actually I don't think I got into when I was a teenager either...

The characterization is okay, I liked Luke a lot but the rest of the characters are pretty grey in tone.

Overall the book was okay. It was a fairly engaging read and was interesting. It was not at all fairy-tale like but was done more like a ghost/serial killer murder mystery kind of thing. It was actually pretty creepy at parts. It loosely ties into the Snow White story. Everything about this book was just okay. If you are into murder mysteries and fairy tale retellings you might really enjoy this book. I personally didn't love it and won't be reading anything else by Marrone. I would recommend Beastly by Alex Flinn or Briar Rose by Jane Yolen if you are into modern day fairy tale retellings that actually stick with the fairy tale and have some depth of meaning to them. ( )
  krau0098 | Jun 27, 2010 |
Interesting premise, but ultimately nothing more than an ineffective horror. ( )
  lemuralley | May 27, 2010 |
it is a fact that amanda morrone never dissapoints. I have read all her books and have thought of them as some what interesting, diffrent than all the other boring books ive read, and exciting. Devoured was a great book that i found pleasure in reading. It was quite the transitiion writing this book since amandas books usually had to to vampires and witches. I liked this book becuz not only did it have a lot of imagination in it but yet it also had a fairy tale twist in it. Ive never read a book that was completely hooked and based on another story. Twisiting it with the story snow white rather intruiged me. This book was a good quick read that was entertaining yet not life changing. another thing that i loved was the cover. The best ive seen yet! not only can i put a face to the character but they picked a very good person to take the part. Wen i was reading this book the person on the cover deffinatly seemed and looked like the character i was reading...This was a very good book that got better reviews later than i expected and as long as amanda keeps writing i'll keep reading. :D
added by hannahbanana16 | editlos angeles times, hannahs

Ever since the car accident nine years ago, life for 16-year-old Megan has never been the same. Her father lies in a coma at the nursing home; her twin sister, Remy, who died in the accident, continues to haunt her; and her mom only seems to care about winning dog competitions with their purebred Fergus. Events become even more complicated when Megan decides to take a job working at the Land of Enchantment in order to keep an eye on her boyfriend, Ryan, and his "best friend," Samantha. There she meets Luke, who is psychic and, to Megan's relief, can also see and communicate with Remy. Megan is concerned because Remy's behavior is becoming violent. The natural attraction between Megan and Luke quickly becomes a problem for Ari Roy, whose family owns the Land of Enchantment. Ari feels that Luke is hers, and she will stop at nothing to get what she wants. Devoured is a murder mystery and a ghost story with a modern-day "Snow White" twist. The plot is fast-paced and full of suspense, gripping readers right from the start. Megan and Luke are well developed, but the ending, in which everything happens too quickly, can be a bit confusing. Still, the book will be devoured by fans of the supernatural.—

Rising high school senior Megan has been haunted by her twin for ten years, but now Remy is trying to warn her about terrible danger surrounding Megan's summer job at an amusement park called the Land of Enchantment.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,464,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible