Gemeinsames Leben by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Gemeinsames Leben (original 1938; edition 2006)

by Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Eberhard Bethge (Herausgeber), Gerhard Ludwig Müller (Herausgeber), Albrecht Schönherr (Herausgeber)

Member:paulstalder
Title:Gemeinsames Leben
Authors:Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Other authors:Eberhard Bethge (Herausgeber), Gerhard Ludwig Müller (Herausgeber), Albrecht Schönherr (Herausgeber)
Info:Gütersloh : Gütersloher Verlagshaus (2006), : 28. A., Broschiert, 120 S.
Tags:Christsein, Nachfolge, Gemeindeleben

Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Faith in Community by Dietrich Bonhoeffer (1938)

This is definitely in my re-read list. It's one that needs to be gone over again and again, to chew on. ( )
  CandaJaen | Oct 26, 2016 |
In this book Bonhoeffer challenges the idea of true Christian community. He talks of how we should put others in the community above ourselves and we should learn to listen. He really challenged me with the portion about being a sinner and how in christian communities we try to act like there are no sinners among us when in reality we are all sinners and need to confess our sins to each other in the small group so we aren't fighting the battle alone. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Incredibly convicting book by a true hero of the faith. As I live in community I find this book a resource that should not be shelved prematurely. If you are thinking about living in community, or are in one I recommend this book highly. ( )
  JGadbaugh | Dec 21, 2015 |

Dietrich Bonhoefferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Doberstein, John W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! (Ps. 133:1)
'Not,' as his friend Bethge says, 'that he believed that everybody must act as he did, but from where he was standing, he could see no possibility of retreat into any sinless, righteous, pious refuge. The sin of respectable people reveals itself in flight from responsibility. He saw that sin falling upon him and he took his stand.' (11)
"Such was the life and death of Dietrich Bonhoeffer - a teacher of the Church in the highest sense of the word, a writer of profound theological and Biblical insight and yet close to the contemporary life and sensitive to reality, a witness who saw the way of discipleship and walked it to the end." (18)
"'I will sow them among the people: and they shall remember me in far countries' (Zech. 10:9). According to God's will Christendom is a scattered people, scattered like seed 'into all the kingdoms of the earth' (Deut. 28:25). That is its curse and its promise. God's people must dwell in far countries among the unbelievers, but it will be the seed of the Kingdom of God in all the world." (18)
WC: "Seminarians before their ordination receive the gift of common life with their brethren for a definite period." (21)
"He knows that God's Word in Jesus Christ pronounces him guilty, even when he does not feel his guilt, and God's Word in Jesus Christ pronounces him not guilty and righteous, even when he does not feel that he is righteous at all. The Christian no longer lives of himself, by his own claims and his own justification, but by God's claims and God's justification. He lives wholly by God's word pronounced upon him, whether that Word declares him guilty or innocent." (22)

After his martyrdom at the hands of the Gestapo in 1945, Dietrich Bonhoeffer continued his witness in the hearts of Christians around the world. His Letters and Papers from Prison became a prized testimony to Christian faith and courage, read by thousands. Now in Life Together we have Pastor Bonhoeffer's experience of Christian community. This story of a unique fellowship in an underground seminary during the Nazi years reads like one of Paul's letters. It gives practical advice on how life together in Christ can be sustained in families and groups. The role of personal prayer, worship in common, everyday work, and Christian service is treated in simple, almost biblical, words. Life Together is bread for all who are hungry for the real life of Christian fellowship.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:20 -0400)

"Martyred by the Gestapo near the end of world war II for plotting to assassinate Hitler, Dietrich Bonhoeffer left a legacy of writings that has become a prized testimony of faith and courage for Christians around the world. 'Life Together' is Bonyhoeffer's inspiring account of a unique fellowship in an underground seminary during the Nazi years in Germany. it reads like one of Paul's letters, giving practical advice on how life together in Christ can be sustained in families and groups. The role of personal prayer, worship in common, everyday work, and Christian service is treated in simple, almost biblical, words. 'Life Together' is bread for all who are hungry for the real life of Christian fellowship"--Cover, p. 4.… (more)

136 wanted1 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,639,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible