The expendable man by Dorothy B. Hughes

The expendable man (original 1963; edition 1963)

by Dorothy B. Hughes

Member:DieFledermaus
Title:The expendable man
Authors:Dorothy B. Hughes
Info:New York : New York Review Books, 2012.
Collections:Your library, Ebooks, Read but unowned
Tags:American, 20th Century, Mystery, NYRB

The Expendable Man by Dorothy B. Hughes (1963)

Pick-Up by Charles Willeford (sturlington)
    sturlington: The conceit of these two books is similar, although the Hughes novel is a better read.

If you could change one decision you made in your life, what would it be? I suspect we all could come up with a ‘Oh, if I only knew then what I know now!’ Well, Dorothy B. Hughes 1962 noir/crime novel ‘The Expendable Man' features one Dr. Hugh Densmore who knows exactly what decision he would change. Driving from the UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles where he is a resident physician across the desert to Phoenix for a family wedding, Dr. Hugh, playing the part of mister nice guy, takes pity on a young girl hitchhiking way out in the desert, 15 miles away from the nearest small town.

In spite of knowing he shouldn’t risk it, aware of all the potential dangers, in his own mind at the time, Hugh did the right thing. We read, “He realized that this was a young girl. From the glimpse, a teen-age girl. Even as he slowed his car, he was against doing it. But her possible peril if left here alone forced his hand. He simply could not in conscience go on, leaving her abandoned, with twilight fallen and night quick to come. He had sisters as young as this. It chilled him to think what might happen if one of them were abandoned on the lonesome highway, the type of man with whom, in desperation, she might accept a lift.” Oh, Hugh, if you only knew then what was to follow.

However, ‘The Expendable Man’ is much more than a crime story. The early 1960s, when this novel was published, was a time of great change and transition in the United States, particularly in three areas: race, class and gender, especially race. Dorothy B. Hughes writes with exceptional skill in setting the scene, drawing her characters and orchestrating the action, and all with keen insight into the prevailing racial, social, cultural tensions and prejudices of the time. I wouldn’t want to say anything further about the actual story so as to spoil. But I will say that, for me, reading this novel sets my all-time personal reading record: 245 pages in one day. ‘I couldn’t put the book down until I finished’, sounds like a cliché, but with ‘The Expendable Man’, this is exactly what happened.

This New York Review Book (NYRB) classic includes a most insightful Afterward by Walter Mosely. Mr. Mosley not only speaks to the novel’s themes but also his own and his family’s experience dealing with issues of race in the United States. A novel and an essay not to be missed.
  GlennRussell | Feb 16, 2017 |
Hugh Densmore is driving from L.A. to Phoenix for his niece's wedding when he picks up a hitchhiker. The girl is on her way to Phoenix to meet her aunt. Hugh suspects she is a runaway. Then the Phoenix papers report that a girl has been found dead in a canal, and it sounds a lot like the hitchhiker. And it seems as though Hugh is being stitched up for a role in her death.

This was one of those highly suspenseful books where you can't put it down, because you want to find out what happens, but at the same time you have to put it down in order to breathe. Both the plot and the setting contribute to the sense of breathlessness; Phoenix in the summer is captured vividly, with the intense, seething heat that builds early in the morning and doesn't let up until well after sundown.

There were a few moments where Hugh makes plans to do some investigating on his own to clear his name, and you want to shout at the book "Don't do it!" as if it were a horror movie with a character planning to go down to the basement.

Although this book was written in the early 1960s, it talks about issues that are still highly relevant today (sadly). The afterword in the Persephone Books edition is worth reading in that regard. Dorothy B. Hughes is an excellent suspense writer and deserves to be (re)discovered and appreciated. ( )
1 vote rabbitprincess | Jan 7, 2017 |
A young doctor driving from California to a family wedding in Phoenix, Arizona, sees a teenage girl hitchhiking on a desert road and stops to pick her up, setting in motion a chain of events that will have him suspected of murder when her body turns up a few days later.

The "expendable man" of the title refers of course to the protagonist, who becomes the wrong man conveniently accused of murder for reasons that the reader is not let in on until about 50 pages into the book. The suspense comes in following the doctor as he tries desperately to clear his name before he is arrested, which would ruin his burgeoning career even if he did avoid prison. This is a taut, cleanly written thriller that moves relentlessly forward and allows readers a glimpse into a world that is usually not explored in crime noir. I suspect it would have been even more exotic and galvanizing for readers in Hughes' day than it is now. Hughes also creates a wonderful sense of place with her Phoenix setting, a desert town on the verge of becoming urban. This was an interesting read, if a little dated, although I felt it could have been a bit more subtle and multilayered, not quite so straightforward in terms of good guys and bad. I expect for its time, though, it needed to be. ( )
  sturlington | Jan 9, 2016 |
A very smart, cleverly written and well paced noir. Hughes places an interesting spin on the wrong man noir genre here, with a soaring critique and indictment of societal prejudices and injustices. ( )
  proustitute | Jul 17, 2014 |
Dr. Hugh Densmore, a U.C.L.A. medical intern is on his way to his nieces wedding, when against his better judgement (and his creepy paranoia) he picks up a young girl hitch hiking in the dessert. It's not going to go well is it?

It may have been a trope even then, the innocent(?) man fighting to clear his name, but Hughes twists it then imbues it with quiet menace that simply and insidiously oozes of the page. You may see the girls fate but what Densmore actually fears, his paranoia and his nods to his past are kept hidden and then hook you in before.. well that would a spoiler. This tenseness is kept up pretty much throughout the entirety of the book. It’s gripping because you care and because of the stakes. It’s not a why or whodunit it’s a subversion of thought and touched with social commentary and excitement as the best crime novels are.

The trap might be sprung by his picking up the girl; they might swing about and come after him. Only when the car had disappeared from sight, did he relax and immediately feel the fool. It was surprising what old experiences remembered could do to a presumably educated, civilized man.

It's a shame I am not going to discuss that spoiler because this is where Hughes writing really shines. This is why you want to read the book, this tenacious look at a different very real kind of evil. Still if a review or intro does spoil it is still worth seeking out, certainly not a one trick pony.

I can't really fault it. Or rather its faults don't matter to me. Sometimes heavy handed; a repetitive under current of jealously say or slightly too much goodness to shadow the dark. Also the bad elements only occasional break out of stock character but I suspect this is probably intentional, the relentless repetitiveness of crimes is just one theme of the book.

Highly recommended to crime lovers. Hughes is an author I am going collect; I liked the patriotic [The Blackbirder] and I really enjoyed this! ( )
  clfisha | Aug 9, 2013 |

Dorothy B. Hughesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moseley, WalterAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my friend, Charlesetta
Across the tracks there was a different world.

Hugh Denismore, a young doctor driving his mother's Cadillac from Los Angeles to Phoenix, reluctantly picks up a runaway teenage girl hitchhiking.  When she is found dead a few days later, he is, for reasons unknown -- or are they? -- the first suspect.

Hugh Densmore, a young intern, becomes obsessed with solving the murder of Iris, a young hitchhiker whom he turned away when she asked him for help.

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,481,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible