Alphabet Weekends: Love on the Road from A…

Alphabet Weekends: Love on the Road from A to Z (edition 2007)

by Elizabeth Noble

Member:violeteyes1313
Title:Alphabet Weekends: Love on the Road from A to Z
Authors:Elizabeth Noble
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2007), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 425 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:chick lit, romance

Alphabet Weekends: Love on the Road from A to Z by Elizabeth Noble

I found this a little slow to get into initially as it felt like too many characters were introduced too quickly for it to be possible to grasp who was who and care about what was going on. It actually wasn't really a problem though because as soon as the intros were out the way we got to know the characters more. The story is really about three different relationship - Natalie, who has just broken up with her long term boyfriend and her best friend Tom, her father and mother and Tom's brother Patrick and his wife Lucy. To be honest, 2 of the 3 storylines are really good. The main storyline of Tom trying to convince Natalie that really he's the one she should be with and using an 'alphabet weekend' system to convince her is a lot of fun. We watch him try to convince her and it's hard not to fall a little in love with him as well and you almost want to strangle Natalie for not realising how perfect he is sooner. The idea of readjusting how you see someone though is unique and not all stars and hearts and rainbows like some books. Moving someone out the 'friend', 'almost sibling' box and putting them into the 'significant other box' isn't easy, so maybe I shouldn't judge her too harshly. Regardless - Tom is adorable and awesome and I loved him so when Natalie upset him, I automatically sided with him even if, deep down, I could understand what was holding her back.

The storyline with Natalie's parents is smaller, but nicely handled as they deal with first her mother's growing depression and then her father's health deterioration. The only weak part I found was the depiction of Patrick and Lucy. Patrick loses his job and feels emasculated and Lucy sees that as a reasoning behind having an affair with her best friend's husband who is a friend of Patrick. I hate, loathe and detest cheating and the justifications behind it and although Lucy gets exactly what she deserves in the end, it annoys me that Patrick doesn't really get anything. I guess that's realistic but it annoyed me slightly that the victim ended up fearing he was going to lose the daughter he had raised, was left out the house and became, as he described, a weekend father when he was the one wronged and the one who deserved more. Lucy's warped justification and almost callous way of dismissing him just made me wish for once that the good guy came out on top.

It was a good book though, much better than I was expecting and actually kinda addictive once you got started. Worth a read if for no other reason than to see how the alphabet makes a good foundation for building a relationship and helping to see someone in a very different light. ( )
  sunnycouger | Sep 20, 2013 |
what was I thinking!: almost romance novel of three British couples, very much in the Bridget Jones mode
  FKarr | Apr 4, 2013 |
Another cute story by Noble ( )
  suefitz1 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Best friends since childhood, Tom gets Natalie to play a game with him to both cheer her up & see if what they have could be something more than just best friends. Playing a game of alphabet weekends, Tom & Natalie switch off each letter in the alphabet, picking something out of each others element. Will they make it to Z? Or will their relationship stumble and fall apart before they could finish the alphabet? While on their escapade of adventure, Tom's sister-in-law, Lucy, struggles with her marriage when her husband looses his job and she seeks passion and lust from her best friends husband. Natalie's mother has a marriage and life that's not up to her standards in what she wanted in life and finds herself falling deep into depression.

Okay, if my boyfriend told me "lets do the whole alphabet weekends thing", I'd be on board 100% I absolutely loved this book. Going through the letters with Nat & Tom, I got caught up in the story and couldn't put down the book. I always found myself waiting impatiently for the next letter to hurry up and get here. This book isn't all lovey gushy stuff, there are some deeper stuff as well. When I started reading the little bits about Natalie's mother, I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. But, I also felt really bad for Nat's dad as well. And then you get to Tom's sister-in-law Lucy, oh, my. I was praying and hoping that she wouldn't cheat on her husband.

I really liked the alphabet weekend idea in this book. I thought it was cute and fun. As for the parts I disliked, well... I disliked that Nat was so slow in figuring out her feelings for Tom. After the first few chapters, I was starting to love him! But, I think the timing and everything was really good between the two characters.

When I picked up this book, I picked it up because I read one of Nobles other novels and absolutely loved it and I'm going to say it now, I'm glad I picked up this book. I would definitely recommend this book! If you haven't read this book, you should read it now :) ( )
  bishhy | Jun 2, 2012 |
This was such a good book. I would highly recommend it to any married couple on a couple looking to get married. It is such an interesting concept regarding a relationship whether it be new or old. It is well worth a person's time to read and think about. ( )
  CandyH | Jul 15, 2011 |

Natalie and Tom have been best friends forever, but Tom wants them to be much more. When Natalie's longtime boyfriend walks out on her just when she thinks he's going to propose, Tom offers her a different and wildly romantic proposition. He suggests that they spend twenty-six weekends together, indulging in twenty-six different activities from A to Z, and at the end of that time Tom's convinced they'll be madly in love. Natalie, however, is not so sure.

As Natalie's touring the alphabet with Tom, her mother's going through her own romantic crisis—while Tom's unhappily married sister-in-law, Lucy, struggles with temptation. And over the course of six amazing months, three generations of passionate dreamers are going to discover that, no matter how clever they are, love—and life—is never as easy as A, B, C . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:55 -0400)

The friendship of Natalie and Tom is put to an ultimate test when Tom, believing they are perfect for each other, proposes that he and a relationship-wary Natalie engage in a series of alphabetically themed weekend getaways for the express purpose of falling in love.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,915,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible