Dead Watch by John Sandford

Dead Watch

by John Sandford

975None8,795 (3.53)25

Not my favourite Sanford, by any means, but this is a question of personal taste. The storyline, in itself, is a gripping, fast paced and well recounted tale. So what didn't I like? I did not like the main character, on Jake Winter. He was a snivelling combination of outrageous and conflicting personality and character traits. A sexually obsessed, Afghan war 'hero' with a limp from the over used roadside bomb blast victim model who walks with difficulty using a cane yet nonetheless offers to kick the ass of every opponent standing in his way. He is a pro-democratic left wing sort of guy, who wears his hair a tad long and knows all the ins and outs of Washington and has the intelligence and insight of two Robert Langdon's (Da Vinci code etc. The story also maintains its politically correct posture by including a a ring of elite Gay desperadoes, as though every second politician in DC is an undercover homosexual (well that might well be actually), but again, that appears to be but yet another anti conservative sear by the Liberal Sanford, who seems to have conveniently overlooked Hollywood and the democrats on that score. This book was really a fifty fifty balance, by that I mean it is a book you love to hate. While the story line is gripping and readable the peripherals are liberally infused rubbish. It is a shame because what I found as a promising tale was let down by Sandford's, liberal bias. This was a mix between a political slumming and and excellent murder mystery. Besides these shortcomings the names of the characters were trite and unimaginative, making it more difficult to "visualize" them; Johnnie, Black, Madison (tits and ass conservative)Jake Winter (the super stud, Howard Barber (Homosexual black stud), Arlo Goodman (the red-neck conservative); Lincoln Bowes (Of course Madison's homosexual husband, Lincoln and Madison anyone??). Then there is the explicit sex scene as if such in-depth detail were necessary, which drags it down to the level of pulp fiction. Of course every young girl is hot for his Winter's body,while the character considers bonking his est friend Billy's wife on a hunting trip. A Starbucks type of guy. A pretty wretched anti-hero and particularly good example of a worthy candidate for the type of loathing Sandford reserves for conservatives and republicans. At one point he (or John Camp's[Sandford's real name] stand in states: "...most recently a schoolteacher who claimed he had a dynamite belt and attempted to blow himself up on the committees front porch, in protest of Republican educational policies. A protest, in Jake's view that was fully justified." or how about: "Undoubtedly he thought, full of that fuckin' Anyn Rand and Newt Gingrich." and on and n it went, simplistic characterizations of the worst sort.

Ironically, this is the second time I've read this novel without noticing it until halfway through (always a bad sign. This means it failed to impress me the first time around. Still I was able to wade through in three days, a pretty good rate for me for a 400 page book. The book may be worth reading once, maybe, certainly not twice, definitely. This was not a novel form the Prey series, so maybe someone else had a hand in drafting this, whatever the case I am now leery of any of Sandfords newer work, this one put a damper on my previous enthusiasm. Finally I had been ready to pop it with 3 stars for the quality of the writing but after careful reviewing and considering the entire aspect I knocked it down even further. Vulgar,crude coarse and overly simplistic, it will pass your time and little else. This one was a loser in my opinion. ( )
  Phoenixangelfire | Apr 6, 2014 |
Political thriller, good as always by Sandford. ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 22, 2014 |
Listened to this as an audiobook. Read by a favorite: Richard Ferrone who seems to make a specialty of John Sandford's books.

A refreshing change from the increasingly redundant Lucas Davenport series. In this case we follow Jacob, "Jake," Winter, a "forensic bureaucracy specialist." He works for the president's chief of staff as a fixer who uses his knowledge of the bureaucracy to solve problems. He has one "Rule": who benefits? Answer that question and most every problem becomes easily solvable. Shades of Mike Lawson's Joe DeMarco, another very good series.

Madeline Bowe's husband, Lincoln, an ex-Senator has disappeared. He was becoming a thorn in the side of the "Watchman" a nebulous group reminiscent of the Brown Shirts and Ku Klux Klan all rolled into one. Jake's "research" soon uncovers a much larger plot related to the presidential election. To reveal any more might spoil it.

All that being said, my one complaint is that some of Jake's more extreme actions in the end of the book (endings are not a Sandford strong suit,) seem out of character and occur only because it gets the author off the hook. I much prefer conclusions that use the protagonist's intelligence to turn the evil-doer's actions back on themselves without the seemingly inevitable reliance on bullets, to my way of thinking, the dummies' way out. I suppose many authors feel the necessity to appeal to the large segment who complain if there's no "action." Action is cheap.

Great for traveling, mowing, doing chores.

P.S. I forgot to add one little entertaining tidbit. One of the fellows Flowers interviews mentions he had been arrested for defenestration at the New Prague Inn. If you know anything about Czech history that will bring a smile.

It's also totally depressing to have a Pontiac Tempest be described as an antique car.
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
A new character, semi-new-to-me author. After getting through a fairly choppy beginning, the story flowed well. Very interesting twists and turns in the plot. The adventure parts were good - a little bit Rambo-ish in one part, but I liked Rambo.

The dialogue was good, too, and there was more than one place that I laughed out loud.

Listening to the full-length, unabridged version of this book was not a chore.

I'll be reading more by this author. ( )
  FiberBabble | Mar 30, 2013 |
Jacob Winter is the guy that wrote the Rules of Washington politics. Former military intelligence, Winters is now a political writer. He's also the guy that "the guy" calls when things go wrong at the White House. Former Senator Lincoln Bowes has gone missing, presumed kidnapped, and his wife is making allegations that the Dems would find politically inconvenient. Jake's assignment - get to the bottom of things...

Packed with conspiracy, murder, sex and political corruption of all sorts, it's business as usual in D.C. ( )
  SunnySD | Mar 10, 2013 |

John Sandfordprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrone, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jansen in de Wal, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voormalig senator Lincoln Bowe is sinds enkele dagen spoorloos verdwenen. Niemand weet of hij is ontvoerd of vermoord.
Despite the mist, she spent an hour working Chica, and working herself, and she smelled of it, mare-sweat and woman-sweat, with a tinge of Chanel No. 5.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425215695, Mass Market Paperback)

Early morning, Virginia, and a woman is on the run. Her husband, a former US Senator, has been missing for days. Kidnapped? Murdered? She doesn't know, but she thinks she knows who's involved, and why. And that she's next. Hours later in Washington DC, a mobile phone rings. The White House chief of staff needs Jake Winter NOW. His chief investigator and an Army Intelligence veteran, Winter knows how to move quickly and decisively, but he's never faced a problem like this. The disappearances are bad, but when the blackened body shows up barb-wired to a tree, Winter knows there is much worse to come. Large forces are at work, determined to do whatever it takes to achieve their ends. Winter will have to use all his resources not only to prevail, but to survive. The safety of the nation depends on it ...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:47 -0400)

Early morning, Virginia, and a woman is on the run. Her husband, a former U.S. Senator, has been missing for days. Kidnapped? Murdered? She doesn't know, but she thinks she knows who's involved, and why. And that she's next. Hours later in Washington, D.C., a cell phone rings. The White House chief of staff needs Jacob Winter now. His chief investigator and an Army Intelligence veteran, Winter knows how to move quickly and decisively, but he's never faced a problem like this. The disappearances are bad, but when the blackened body shows up barbed-wired to a tree, Winter knows there is much worse to come. And soon enough, there is. Large forces are at work, determined to do whatever it takes to achieve their ends. Winter will have to use all his resources not only to prevail but also to survive. And so will the nation. . . .… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,505,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible