Lowside of the Road: A Life of Tom Waits by…

Lowside of the Road: A Life of Tom Waits

by Barney Hoskyns

The further I read in Hoskyns biography, the more I was reminded of A.J. Weberman, the guy who spent years digging through Bob Dylan's trash and analyzing it. I was surprised when, a few pages before the end of this Tom Waits biography, Hoskyns asks himself, and his readers, whether he isn't doing something like Weberman. My answer is yes, and it's not pretty. While Hoskyns cites Waits' clear statements about the need to keep some part of his life private, and the relationship between mystery and art, Hoskyns clearly holds it against Waits that he refused to authorize this biography and refused access to himself and his family, and then discouraged close friends from talking with Hoskyns. He opens the book with this gripe and includes an appendix of e-mails from friends of Waits who have turned down his requests for interviews. Sour grapes, and they sour the whole project. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
I love the music of Tom Wait and he is such a private person. This book was excellent in detailing his early years and his music inspirations . I now know why he keeps his past hidden.
I guess me myself coming from living with a musician in S.F and going on tour and being in all the seedy little nightclubs myself, the book took me to uncomfortable places I dont like to go in my head. SO on that note the writer did a good job. If you are a fan of Tom Waits I would suggest reading it. It gives you a rare glimpse,insight to the man that lyrics make you dream.
  mikomi6 | Jul 22, 2011 |
felt a bit tainted when i realised that this was unauthorised. go the impression that the author hadn't quite dealt with his version not getting the go ahead from waits also. ( )
  Bbec | Jan 5, 2010 |
Prologue: I'm guessing the woman was a Jewish-American Princess, though I've no idea how cold she was on her honeymoon.
Chapter 1: Tom Waits tends to bristle when interviewers probe him for the lowdown on his early years as a suburban oddball in the inland empire of Los Angeles.

A rock journalist delves into the life of the revered and critically acclaimed singer-songwriter, from the beginning of his career on the margins of the 1970s Los Angeles rock scene to his place among such greats as Bob Dylan and Neil Young.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible