No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:
Tags:248.4 Christian life and practice

The Discipline of Grace: God's Role and Our Role in the Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges

Recently added byGCBCJeff, emabbott, mcarter4, ThomasSDGSF, private library, Lisa_Ask, pastorjblack

Hand in hand with other books on the spiritual disciplines, this brings the balance of recognizing that our disciplines are meaningless without the work of Christ; they must bring us closer to God to have purpose in our spiritual growth. While the author acknowledges that we have a role in disciplining ourselves in study, prayer, etc., he reminds over and over to stop putting the pressure on ourselves to perform and look to God and seek to develop our relationship with Him. ( )
  Keith.Benjamin | Apr 16, 2014 |
Jerry "Bridges discusses how the same grace that brings us to faith in Christ also disciplines us in Christ, and how we learn to discipline ourselves in the areas of commitment, conviction, choices, watchfulness, and adversity.

If you’ve ever struggled with what your role is and what role God takes in your growth as a Christian, this book will comfort and challenge you as you learn to rest in Christ while vigorously pursuing a life of holiness." — Publisher's notes
  rbclibrary | Apr 13, 2014 |
Highly recommended. Jerry Bridges thoroughly explores the application of the gospel to the Christian believer. Pursuing holiness is neither a matter of passivity nor of gritting one's teeth and trying harder, but of daily preaching the gospel to oneself and, from the gracious knowledge of acceptance and of sin's broken dominion, pressing on in the joyful duty of discipleship. Bridges offers a number of practical helps for doing this.

I definitely had some "ouch" moments of realizing I do not take God's holiness, or my own conforming to Christ, anywhere near as seriously as I should. Convicting in the best way. Yet, it's wonderful to read a book like this that leaves me feeling energized and hungry rather than laden with guilt. ( )
  LudieGrace | Dec 4, 2013 |
6/2013
  bobbyemccoy | Jul 26, 2013 |
I give it 5 stars but I prefer the word awesome versus amazing. Awesome in that Jerry Bridges does a great teaching of God's grace, His discipline and the need to preach the gospel to ourselves, as in believers, daily.

Bridges writes in a manner that is easy to grasp and retain for those who like me can't easily grasp those deep thinking theologians. That is not to say Bridges is not a deep thinking theologian, he is and shows it by taking the deep to shallow waters for us who zone out when reading in deep waters.

This is only the second book I've read by Jerry Bridges (the other being 'Gospel for Real Life') but his ability to teach solid gospel in 'shallow waters' led me to use three of his books; The Gospel for Real Life: Turn to the liberating Power of the Cross, Growing Your FAith: How to Mature in Christ and Trusting God Even When Life Hurts as part of the curriculum in the Discipleship 101 program I teach in Soldiers of Christ Prison Ministries, the ministry God has called me to steward.

If you are like me and feel the challenge of reading books that go deep and comprehending was is written, give Jerry Bridges series of books a try.

As an FYI the reason it took 2.5 months to read is it was read as a weekly group study. ( )
  ScottKalas | Jun 10, 2013 |

Grace is every bit as important for growing as a Christian as it is for becoming a Christian. "The pursuit of holiness", writes Jerry Bridges", must be anchored in the grace of God; otherwise it is doomed to failure.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:17 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,793,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible