The Practice of Godliness by Jerry Bridges

The Practice of Godliness (1983)

by Jerry Bridges

1,41968,193 (4.11)None
Recently added byprivate library, krisestep, FBCFL, BWPavier, VintiqueBooks, Cincy.ECCLibrary, Steve.Puleo

Scripture tells us that God has given us “everything we need for life and godliness.” But what makes a Christian godly?

In this book, Navigator author Jerry Bridges examines what it means to grow in Christian character. Learn more about the character of God as you grow a deeper relationship with Him. Establish the foundation upon which godly character is built and continue by developing maturity and pursuing holiness.
  OCMCCP | Jan 9, 2018 |
I thought this might be a bit dry, but it was an inspiring and encouraging read. Explanations of godliness with two main aspects: deep devotion to God, and the building of godly character. Plenty to ponder. A little old-fashioned in places, and I didn't agree with every word, but overall well worth reading.

Re-reading two and a half years later, I had the same impressions. Rather dry at first and surprisingly dated in language, given that it was written as recently as 1983. But lots to ponder, and some good pointers to godly living. Recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
As always, Jerry Bridges gets right to the heart of the matter in this great book of his, a bit of sequel if you will to the Pursuit of Holiness.

He starts by taking us to scripture to show that Godliness is a pursuit, something we must train ourselves for as Paul told Timothy to do. He continues to go back and back and back to scriputre in a clear and concise manner that is accesseible to all and easily understood. I love this book for it clear insight and exposition of scripture, and reliance on the wisdom of God rather than the wisdom of men. He then lists about 15 character qualiites that will help us practice Godliness as we cultivate them in our life, including Gentleness, goodness, joy, holiness, patience, and others.

I recommend this book to all as a valuable tool in growing more like Christ and pursing a deep relationship with God. ( )
  laholmes | Dec 3, 2012 |
EXCELLENT book with very practical and specific advise on developing Godliness in the Christian life. ( )
  JSWeathers | Apr 3, 2012 |

Has as a student's study guide

There is no higher compliment that can be paid to a Christian than to call him a godly person.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:48 -0400)

What makes someone godly? Scripture tells us that God has given us "everything we need for life and godliness." But what makes a Christian godly? In The Practice of Godliness, Jerry Bridges examines what it means to grow in Christian character and helps us establish the foundation upon which that character is built. Bridges opens our eyes to see how character formation affects the way we relate to God, to ourselves, and to others. In this sequel to his best-selling The Pursuit of Holiness, Bridges explores such topics as: How our devotion to God springs from a balance of fear, love, and desire; Practical guidelines for training ourselves to be godly; How we can deepen our devotion to God; How we can take on God's character by seeking the Holy Spirit's action in developing his fruit in our lives. In order to live godly lives, we need an inward foundation of God-centeredness. This book will help you establish that foundation and then build an outward structure of Godlikeness. - Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,429,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible