Cardinals Blades by Pierre Pevel

Cardinals Blades (edition 2009)

by Pierre Pevel

Member:JR.Raluces
Title:Cardinals Blades
Authors:Pierre Pevel
Info:Gollancz (2009), Edition: First UK, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:**
Tags:Fantasy

The Cardinal's Blades by Pierre Pevel

Basically, this is The Three Muskeeters with dragons. The plot is done very well, the author has read his Dumas closely. There is political intrigue, as Richelieu tries to thwart a plot against France, swordfights, treason, courage, heroism, and everything else you need for a rousing swashbuckler. The writing style is less than perfect, with a curiously limited vocabulary for clothes and other physical things and a number of stock phrases (when people turn around, they always “tournent sur les talons”, no variations offered). There are disappointingly few dragons around, though.
Pevel started his career writing for role-playing games, and I think it shows in the way he assembles and describes his large cast of characters without letting you know how they relate to each other. He also needs a lot of time setting up the scene and putting events in motion. But things get gripping enough to continue with the next book. Oh, and there’s a surprise guest appearance from a “real” musketeer! ( )
  MissWatson | Jul 24, 2015 |
While not a perfectly composed book, I had a ridiculous amount of fun reading it. Alternate history, a dash of Three Musketeers, dragons... daring swordfights, and an elite squad of fighters loyal to Cardinal Richelieu and the crown, out to roust a secret organization set to take over the world.

If you love silly swashbuckling and 7th Sea, this is a perfect book for you. It starts a bit slow as we are introduced to our cast of characters, but picks up and dives headlong into the fun before too long.

My biggest complaint is the single major female protagonist. There are a few female side characters, but there could have been more ladies. What are swashbuckling adventures without witty, pretty ladies to spy and swordfight and flirt with? ( )
  PaperCrystals | Feb 26, 2015 |
One way to sumarize this one is ‘Imagine the kind of story that The Three Musketeers could have been in an alternate universe where dragons exist.’

This is the first book of a trilogy. The beginning is slow-paced as we meet all the protagonists then the action is taking off in the second part of the story but oh boy, when it starts, it’s so worth it. I’m looking forward the next one. ( )
  electrice | Feb 21, 2014 |
The Three Musketeers with dragons. Well, sort of dragons. Half-bloods. And the dragons, or some of them, want to gain a foothold in France. So Cardinal Richelieu reactivates his best group of spies, his Blades, who had been dismissed in disgrace 5 years ago.

But it’s clear Richelieu is holding back on the Blades, and they’re a bit less trusting after being betrayed by one of their own.

I really love the concept. The start is a bit slow, as there is too much getting the band back together, with cuts from one person to another as they all receive their summons back to the Blades.

Still, I’m eager to read the next book. ( )
  majkia | Feb 10, 2013 |
This book was a gift from my younger brother last Christmas, and is the first in a trilogy that my brother bought me based on the covers.....!

There has never been more truth to the old cliche of judging a book by its cover!

I really struggled with this book. It took way to long for me to get into. There was no flow to it, particularly at the beginning of the book. There were a lot of introductions to a lot of characters, without it connecting as such, and felt very matter of fact type style of writing rather than a story. The flow may have also been affected by the translation, as it was originally written in French.

I struggled to build any type of rapport, or associate with any character. I could not empathise or get on board with any of them initially.

The premise of the book is a good fantastic storyline, a twist on a classic of the musketeers which I have always enjoyed, however, Pierre Pevel fails in it's delivery for the majority of the book.

I gave this 2 and a half stars only for the last quarter of the book. I was willing to give it 1 star all the way through, until the last quarter finally entertained, things came together, characters developed and something actually happened. I was impressed by the end, which is somewhat annoying, as I was not going to read the second and third novels in the series, but the end left me intrigued and piquedmy interest in the follow on from the end of the first. I hope the second starts as the first finished!

The group the Cardinal Blades I could not help compare to other groups from other fantasy booksI have read, such as the series by James Barclay and the group the Raven, however, the Cardinal Blades do not compare to the Raven! The Cardinal Blades as a group I felt needed tobe further developed, the back story only coming to light towards the end, which offered a lot to the characters, which was missing from the majority of the book!

Now I've started the series, and the good ending, I'll continue with the series. I do hope they improve though!

Thanks ( )
  JR.Raluces | Nov 28, 2012 |

Pierre Pevelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clegg, TomTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cooke, Jacqueline NassoDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sullivan, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ce livre est dédié à Jean-Philippe, mon frère trop tôt enfui.
Long and high-ceilinged, the room was lined with elegantly gilded and bound books which shone with a russet gleam in the half-light of the candle flames.

The Cardinal's Blades is part historical novel, part old-fashioned swashbuckling high-action adventure, and part classic fantasy. Pierre Pevel has woven some of the best-loved fantasy tropes - musketeer-style adventuring, daring swordsmen, political intrigue, non-stop action and dragons - into a stunning new fantasy series. Paris, 1633. Louis XIII reigns over France ...and Cardinal Richelieu governs the country. One of the most dangerous and most powerful men in Europe, Richelieu keeps a constant, sharp eye on the enemies of the Crown to avoid their assassination attempts, thwart their spies and avert their warmongering. But he's up against people who will stop at nothing to achieve their goals, even going so far as to forge alliances with France's oldest and deadliest enemies. Spain, and the Court of Dragons. The nobility keep tiny dragonnets as pets; royal couriers ride tame wyverns, and lethal man-shaped scaled dracs ropam the country. But the power rising from the Court of Dragons is anything but mundane; the Black Claw sect draws on dragons as they once were: ancient, terrible, utterly merciless ...and poised to move against France. Faced with the growing threat from Spain, Richelieu summons Captain la Fargue, an exceptional swordsman, devoted officer and brilliant leader. If he's to turn aside the Black Claw's schemes, La Fargue and his legenday company of swashbucklers and rogues must be persuaded to once again risk their lives, fortunes and reputations for Richelieu, and for France. It's the biggest challenge yet for The Cardinal's Blades - and they'll need to be sharp ...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:50 -0400)

FANTASY. Paris, 1633. Louis XIII reigns over France ...and Cardinal Richelieu governs the country. One of the most dangerous and most powerful men in Europe, Richelieu keeps a constant, sharp eye on the enemies of the Crown to avoid their assassination attempts, thwart their spies and avert their warmongering. But he's up against people who will stop at nothing to achieve their goals, even going so far as to forge alliances with France's oldest and deadliest enemies. Spain, and the Court of Dragons. The nobility keep tiny dragonnets as pets; royal couriers ride tame wyverns, and lethal man-shaped scaled dracs ropam the country.The Black Claw sect draws on dragons as they once were: ancient, terrible, utterly merciless ...and poised to move against France. Faced with the growing threat from Spain, Richelieu summons Captain la Fargue, an exceptional swordsman, devoted officer and brilliant leader.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,149,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible