The Deed of Paksenarrion: A Novel by…

The Deed of Paksenarrion: A Novel (edition 1992)

by Elizabeth Moon

1,161None6,960 (4.25)90
Member:PBrant
Title:The Deed of Paksenarrion: A Novel
Authors:Elizabeth Moon
Info:Baen (1992), Paperback, 1040 pages
Tags:fantasy, traditional, military, series, paks

The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon

English (28)  Danish (1)  All languages (29)
I have read this a number of times. I reread it now in 2010 because of a new book from Moon following on to this.

Its brilliance is in the way in which it starts with the very ordinary sense of what all those people in the armies of fantasy novels were as real people with their own stories. From this is drawn a story of heroism, but with the underlying message that anyone can be extraordinary. It isn't just Paks, it is everyone, anyone who can be both brought low, endure, and go beyond it. ( )
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
  Ridley_ | Apr 1, 2013 |
This is feminist fantasy of a particular period, and it's a good example of the type. My only beef with an otherwise enjoyable adventure is the author's tendency to use one-syllable names that mostly sound alike - and in a couple of places, have two identically-named bit characters sprouting a chapter apart. Otherwise, good sword-swinging fun. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
This is an omnibus edition of three novels, conceived as one story, dealing with the paladin Paksenarrion: Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegiance and Oath of Gold. I loved this book on first read, one of my favorite works of fantasy, and one that read quickly despite the doorstopper length. Reading over the reviews, I've been told the books strictly follow Dungeons and Dragons rules, and that this step-by-step follows "the Heroes Journey." Maybe I'm lucky I've never played the game nor read Campbell's The Hero With a Thousand Faces, because this story didn't ever feel formulaic to me. I had heard Moon had a military background--she was a United States Marine--and I could well believe it reading this book. The military details and training come through with a credibility I rarely see, especially when involving a female heroine. Those parts of the book never bored me, but rather fascinated me with their verisimilitude.

It's true that Paks is almost too good and earnest and pretty asexual. But it should be remembered Moon is telling the story not of an ordinary knight, but a paladin: originally meaning one of the 12 peers in the court of Charlemagne, but used in the fantasy role playing sense of "holy knight" imbued with godly powers. And in fact, I've read Paks was indeed inspired by Moon wanting to work through how such a figure out of the Dungeons and Dragons role play would really act (and with more than a bit of inspiration from Joan of Arc.) I think Moon succeeded in her purpose--and gave us one of the great heroines in fantasy in the bargain. ( )
1 vote LisaMaria_C | Oct 25, 2012 |

Elizabeth Moonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parkinson, KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheepfarmer's Daughter
In a sheepfarmer's low stone house, high in the hills above Three Firs, two swords hang now above the mantelpiece.
Divided Allegiance
While all Siniava's troops had surrendered, Kieri Phelan's troops assumed they'd be going back to Valdaire -- even, perhaps, to the north again.
Oath of Gold
The village seemed faintly familiar, but most villages were much alike.

Paksenarrion wasn't planning to submit to an unwelcome marriage and a lifetime of poverty, so she left her village with a plan and her grandfather's sword. And a few weeks later, she was installed as Duke Phelan's newest recruit in a company of soldiers for hire, her arms training about to begin. But when Paks sees combat, she's stabbed with an ensorcelled knife and barely survives. Then the near-misses start mounting up, raising questions about this young fighter. Is she attracting evil because she is a danger to them all? Or is there another reason malignant forces seek her life? Paks will face the spider-minions of the Webmistress Achrya, orcs and the corrupted men who serve blood mage Liart, Master of Torments. She will also earn the gratitude of elves and of her Duke. And through conflict she will learn she has powers of her own and a destiny. To become a gods-chosen Paladin of Gird, and a target for the ultimate torture.

A compilation of the high heroic fantasy novels revolving around the female character Paksenarrion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,507,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible