Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Edward R. Murrow and the Birth of Broadcast Journalism

by Bob Edwards

205497,509 (3.55)2
?Most Americans living today never heard Ed Murrow in a live broadcast. This book is for them. I want them to know that broadcast journalism was established by someone with the highest standards. Tabloid crime stories, so much a part of the lust for ratings by today's news broadcasters, held no interest for Murrow. He did like Hollywood celebrities, but interviewed them for his entertainment programs; they had no place on his news programs. My book is focused on this life in journalism. I offer it in the hope that more people in and out to the news business will get to know Ed Murrow. Perhaps in time the descent from Murrow's principles can be reversed.? -Bob EdwardsLong before the era of the news anchor, the pundit, and the mini-cam, one man blazed a trail that thousands would follow. Edwards brings to life the great stories Murrow covered and brought into American living rooms for the first time - the rooftop reports of the London Blitz, bombing raids over Berlin, and the 1954 broadcast that helped bring down Senator Joe McCarthy - as well as the ups and downs of his career at CBS. Edwards reveals how Murrow dramatically impacted public opinion and how the high standards he lived by influenced an entire generation of broadcasters.… (more)

This is a deliberately short book addressing Murrow's influence on broadcast news and skimming over the details of his career and life, but it's a good, solid introduction to Murrow. It includes the text from some of his most famous broadcasts and speeches.

However, the most surprising, interesting, and gripping part of the book was Bob Edward's afterword. This scorching assessment of modern broadcast journalism and how Murrow would never have risen to the level of fame and influence he knew in the 1940s and 50s is the speech of an angry man, I think, one who is in intense agreement with Murrow's vision of television and radio's responsibility and power and its failure to use that power in upholding the responsibility. ( )
  Murphy-Jacobs | Mar 31, 2013 |
I listened to the audio version of this book during a road trip. I'd already seen Good Night and Good Luck, so I felt like I had an idea of what we'd be learning about Murrow in this book. I was wrong. This man led a full, rich, and amazing life. He achieved so many wonderful things, not the least of which was setting our expectations about what journalism could (and should) be. I think the one thing I took away from the book is that if I see good journalism, I should let the station know. Too often, I just send emails when I get all huffy about something and not when I see good, balanced reporting on issues important to the community and the country. ( )
1 vote kellyholmes | Dec 31, 2006 |
Read this book after seeing "Good Night, and Good Luck". Well written, but pretty thin. ( )
  bherner | Oct 1, 2006 |
Went to the WXXI interview with Bob Edwards and got the book signed. Enjoyed the book. Read this before I saw the movie Good Night and Good Luck. ( )
  SLuce | Jul 2, 2006 |

Belongs to Series

In memory of Ed and Lois Bliss

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,771,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible