Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A.…

Stranger in a Strange Land (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Member:herzogbr
Title:Stranger in a Strange Land
Authors:Robert A. Heinlein
Info:Ace Trade (1991), Paperback

Stranger in a Strange Land (Uncut Edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (1991)

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)
    The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (leahsimone)
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (StarryNightElf)
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (StarryNightElf)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (StarryNightElf)
    The Necessary Beggar by Susan Palwick (MyriadBooks)
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values by Robert M. Pirsig (emf1123)
    emf1123: If you're in your late teens, reading both of these books back to back (stranger in a strange land, zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance) is a good quality mindfuck. I doubt that either have the same influence as one ages, though.

English (111)  Bulgarian (1)  All (112)
Wow, I just can't do that level of preachy. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
I think I liked this book, but it was weird. I am still waiting to grok it in fullness.

....see what I did there? ( )
  hylandk | Nov 2, 2016 |
I think this is one of my all time favorite books. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
This is my second Heinlein. Picked this book up at a library sale and thought this would be a good one to get since is somewhat famous. I understand we have to categorize things, but I would hardly call this science fiction (at least not hard science fiction). My quick review would be a book of social commentary with a loose story running through it. Creative, but at times the book really dragged and I almost put it down completely as one character kept pontificating page after page about three-quarters of the way through the book. I struggle to give this three stars. ( )
  DCavin | Aug 16, 2016 |
Upon this re-read I wasn't as impressed as I have been in the past. I especially got tired of Harshaw's political rants. Still, I do recommend it for fans of Heinlein of course, but also for those interested in classic science fiction, influential classics, aliens, free love, atheism, and non-religious spirituality. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heinlein, VirginiaPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR
ROBERT CORNOG
FREDRIC BROWN
PHILLIP JOSE FARMER
Once upon a time when the world was young there was a Martian named Smith.
Please distinguish this "original, uncut" version of Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land (1991) from its edited first publication (1961). This would be ISBN #s 0-399-13586-3, 0-450-54267-X and 0-441-78838-6 and Science Fiction Book Club editions of 1991 (#17697 and a leather bound edition). There is a 60,000 word difference between the two. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441788386, Paperback)

Stranger in a Strange Land, winner of the 1962 Hugo Award, is the story of Valentine Michael Smith, born during, and the only survivor of, the first manned mission to Mars. Michael is raised by Martians, and he arrives on Earth as a true innocent: he has never seen a woman and has no knowledge of Earth's cultures or religions. But he brings turmoil with him, as he is the legal heir to an enormous financial empire, not to mention de facto owner of the planet Mars. With the irascible popular author Jubal Harshaw to protect him, Michael explores human morality and the meanings of love. He founds his own church, preaching free love and disseminating the psychic talents taught him by the Martians. Ultimately, he confronts the fate reserved for all messiahs.

The impact of Stranger in a Strange Land was considerable, leading many children of the 60's to set up households based on Michael's water-brother nests. Heinlein loved to pontificate through the mouths of his characters, so modern readers must be willing to overlook the occasional sour note ("Nine times out of ten, if a girl gets raped, it's partly her fault."). That aside, Stranger in a Strange Land is one of the master's best entertainments, provocative as he always loved to be. Can you grok it? --Brooks Peck

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:20 -0400)

A young man from Mars comes to Earth & must learn our strange ways. Annotation. One of the greatest science fiction novels ever published, Stranger in a Strange Land's original manuscript had 50,000 words cut. Now they have been reinstated for this special 30th anniversary trade edition. A Mars-born earthling arrives on this planet for the first time as an adult, and the sensation he creates teaches Earth some unforgettable lessons. "A brilliant mind-bender".--Kurt Vonnegut… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,749,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible