Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A.…

Stranger in a Strange Land (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Title:Stranger in a Strange Land
Authors:Robert A. Heinlein
Info:Ace Trade (1991), Edition: First Edition. first thus, Paperback, 528 pages
Tags:Own, Read, Pleasure

Stranger in a Strange Land (uncut edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (1991)

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)
    The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (leahsimone)
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (StarryNightElf)
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (StarryNightElf)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (StarryNightElf)
    The Necessary Beggar by Susan Palwick (MyriadBooks)
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values by Robert M. Pirsig (emf1123)
    emf1123: If you're in your late teens, reading both of these books back to back (stranger in a strange land, zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance) is a good quality mindfuck. I doubt that either have the same influence as one ages, though.

Masterpiece, has held up well... ( )
  clarkland | Nov 2, 2015 |
I found this to be a very interesting and confusing book. The story is loaded with social commentary. However, because its relative to the 1950s, its a bit difficult to understand the perspective of that commentary.

I did enjoy the quaintness of the language of the time (Gee!) and the allusions to sex, which were probably very racy for the time.

This is probably something i will re-read again to see if I can get more from it. ( )
  grandpahobo | Sep 24, 2015 |
The edition I read restored some 70,000 words cut by Heinlein's editor before the first edition was printed. I read that earlier version way back in the Sixties and as I read this one I wished I still had that old paperback to compare. The scenes set in-er-heaven, for lack of a better word, were not, in my memory, in the first version. They added nothing to my reading, and I would like to have been able to see what other portions of the story were restored and whether they added or subtracted to the book. One thing I reaffirmed, that I much preferred The Moon is a Harsh Mistress to this novel.

Overall, it's difficult for me to understand what all the fuss over this novel was about fifty years ago. ( )
  nmele | May 11, 2015 |
Upon this re-read I wasn't as impressed as I have been in the past. I especially got tired of Harshaw's political rants. Still, I do recommend it for fans of Heinlein of course, but also for those interested in classic science fiction, influential classics, aliens, free love, atheism, and non-religious spirituality. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
When you consider we have many other sci-fi writers who are not stuck in their own time and do not write all their male characters as sexist, sex-obsessed or sexy, you can clearly understand the view to give this book a very wide birth. The storyline was actually quite interesting, but I'm sure the is someone out there who had written something similar without the added bollocks "of the time". ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heinlein, VirginiaPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time when the world was young there was a Martian named Smith.
Please distinguish this "original, uncut" version of Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land (1991) from its edited first publication (1961). Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441788386, Paperback)

Stranger in a Strange Land, winner of the 1962 Hugo Award, is the story of Valentine Michael Smith, born during, and the only survivor of, the first manned mission to Mars. Michael is raised by Martians, and he arrives on Earth as a true innocent: he has never seen a woman and has no knowledge of Earth's cultures or religions. But he brings turmoil with him, as he is the legal heir to an enormous financial empire, not to mention de facto owner of the planet Mars. With the irascible popular author Jubal Harshaw to protect him, Michael explores human morality and the meanings of love. He founds his own church, preaching free love and disseminating the psychic talents taught him by the Martians. Ultimately, he confronts the fate reserved for all messiahs.

The impact of Stranger in a Strange Land was considerable, leading many children of the 60's to set up households based on Michael's water-brother nests. Heinlein loved to pontificate through the mouths of his characters, so modern readers must be willing to overlook the occasional sour note ("Nine times out of ten, if a girl gets raped, it's partly her fault."). That aside, Stranger in a Strange Land is one of the master's best entertainments, provocative as he always loved to be. Can you grok it? --Brooks Peck

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:20 -0400)

A young man from Mars comes to Earth & must learn our strange ways. Annotation. One of the greatest science fiction novels ever published, Stranger in a Strange Land's original manuscript had 50,000 words cut. Now they have been reinstated for this special 30th anniversary trade edition. A Mars-born earthling arrives on this planet for the first time as an adult, and the sensation he creates teaches Earth some unforgettable lessons. "A brilliant mind-bender".--Kurt Vonnegut… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,866,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible