Guardian by Angela Knight

I didn't love it, but I liked it much more than I expected to. Originally, I only picked this up because of how sexy and fun 'Jane's Warlord' was; I really didn't expect much from 'Guardian'. Still, I started reading and found myself caught up in the story. The general idea of the Time Hunters is a fun concept for a series, so there's that. In addition, the story proved to be a nice combination of romance and action. After finishing this book, I was committed to reading the rest of the series and bought 'Warrior', the book that actually came before this one. By the way, I liked that one, too. And, yes, you should probably read them in order. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Jul 15, 2010 |
I usually love Angela Knight and find her very hot. This book occurs in the same world as Jane's Warlord, which I loved. However somehow I just couldn't connect with this book. Riane and Nick are good enough H/H with requisite difficult pasts. It just felt oddly plot heavy, I didn't know all the internal Xeran politics and if this is a series, then maybe they aren't stand alone, because i felt like I needed more background than I had, and at the same time, that the background I was getting was too much like info dump and also confusing for me. Similarly the traitor was really obvious and there was no tension around that issue, so that part of the story didn't grip me at all. So sad to say that this one isn't a reread or a keeper for me. ( )
  amf0001 | Jul 17, 2009 |
"Guardian" is a wonderful addition to Angela Knight's 'Time Hunters' series which began with "Jane's Warlord". I can't tell you how many times I've read the the first few books in this series. I love the way Ms. Knight writes her heroes and heroines and this stuff is pure fantasy with the added bonus of really, really hot sex!

Riane is the daughter of the couple from "Jane's Warlord". She's had to deal with the prejudice of being neither aristocrat nor a bioengineered warfem like her father. She's happy working as a Temporal Enforcer -- preventing time travel crimes and chasing down those who manage to commit them if they aren't prevented. When she's offered the chance to go after the traitor who tried to kill her parents, she's ready to rock! But her suit malfunctions and strands her in the 21st century --with her enemy waiting...and a man who is either her savior or another traitorous Xeran.

Nick's been an orphan since the age of fourteen when his mother was apparently killed by the creatures the two of them had run from as long as he could remember. He didn't see his mother die. However, as soon as the green armband she'd always worn appeared magically on his arm, he just 'knew' she was gone. The glowing armband has saved his life more times than he can count as he's still on the run from the creatures. The armband somehow gives him access to enhanced knowledge and powers; so he's used these abilities to save innocent lives and stay one step ahead of the bad guys. Then one night, his armband leads him to HER. It's the grown-up version of the girl he 'saw' in a vision years ago. But how can he say that to her...she'll think he's nuts! Of course, the best thing to do would be to help her escape the creature trying to kill her before he tries to explain anything!

When I read Angela Knight, I can almost picture myself in her books. Her characters become friends I remember long after I finish their books and I'm always happy when 'old' friends get a scene (or more!) in later stories. While her characters don't waste much time before getting to the 'good stuff', there's always a plot reason for it that makes sense to me--not just sex for shock value. The plots are engaging; with enough twists, turns, and flips to ensure I can't get complacent since I can't predict where she'll head next.

I appreciate the fact that Ms. Knight doesn't overwhelm me with science, even though these stories have scenes in the far future. She gives me enough information to understand the technology used, without resorting to 'rocket science' I wouldn't understand. I'm not a scientist...and I honestly don't want to become one, so scientific jargon just jars me.

When I figured out who Raine's parents were, I was worried Angela Knight was going to end this series I enjoy so much. No worries, though; towards the end of the book it becomes obvious there's more stories to come set in this fascinating world. 'The Time Hunters' series is a cool mix of mystery, fantasy, science fiction, suspense, and really hot sex. It should come as no surprise that all these books sit on my keeper shelf -- "Guardian" is the latest to join the group and the only downside to having read it is that now I know I'll have to wait impatiently for the next one. ( )
  jjmachshev | May 14, 2009 |

Riane Arvid is a superhuman cop from the future, trapped in the year 2009 by group of murderous fanatics called the Xeran. Nick Wyatt is a handsome twentyfirst century warrior who has been a target of the Xeran his entire life. He's the only one Riane can turn to, but his intentions are as mysterious as his origins. In an attempt to discover the truth about each other, both Riane and Nick decide seduction is the best tactic.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,366,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible