How to Read the Bible for All It's…

How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth (original 1982; edition 2003)

by Gordon D. Fee, Douglas Stuart

2,773None2,105 (3.96)16
Member:chrisargo
Title:How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth
Authors:Gordon D. Fee
Other authors:Douglas Stuart
Info:Zondervan (2003), Edition: 3rd, Paperback, 288 pages

How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Gordon D. Fee (1982)

Recently added byohall, private library, DeanChris, the-turnbulls, exxodus7, PBCConnectGroups

This book, as it is stated in the beginning, does not so much reveal things about the Bible as it reveals how the Bible should be studied. I think that it is a very helpful guide that can and should be used frequently in Bible study. It was nicely split into sections/categories so that it can be used as a sort of reference book if one were to need to only know the guidelines set forth for understanding the Epistles, or the Gospels, etc.
While reading through I wrote down sections that I found to be particularly new or helpful so that in the future I can go back and reference this book. However, as they said in the beginning, most of the ideas presented in the book are actually common sense and the book more or less just organizes these common practices so as to make them more common and more concrete, or understandable.
The one thing that this book was a good reminder of was to think about what the text meant to the original recipient. Sometimes it is easy to just read the Bible and to forget that some of the expressions or illustrations might not mean the same thing now as they used to. Or it's easy to read a story and forget to think about what impact it would have had on people in that time period. Even though I already knew that it is important to look at these things it is always good to be reminded and to see them in a little different light. This may be a book that I get a copy of to use in years to come.
  NGood | Feb 19, 2014 |
...know that the basic theological framework of the entire NT is eschatological. ... The coming of the end also meant a new beginning--the beginning of God's new age, the messianic age. The new age was also referred to as the kingdom of God, which meant "the time of Gods rule." ... Jesus announced the coming kingdom as having arrived with his own coming. ... Very early, beginning with Peter's sermon in Acts 3, the early Christians came to realize that Jesus had not come to usher in the "final" end, but the "beginning"of the end, as it were. ...with the coming of the Spirit, the blessings and benefits of the future had already come. In a sense, therefore, the end had already come. But in another sense, the end had not yet fully come. Thus it was already, but not yet. The early believers, therefore, learned to be a truly eschatological people. They lived between the times--that is, between the beginning of the end and the consummation of the end. At The Lord's Table they celebrated their eschatological existence, by proclaiming "the Lord's death until He comes" (I Cor. 1:26). ... They knew [the future's] benefits, lived in light of its values, but they, as we , still had to live out these benefits and values in the present world. Precisely because the kingdom, the time of God's rule, has been inaugurated with Jesus' own coming we are called to life in the kingdom, which means life under his lordship, freely accepted and forgiven, but committed to the ethics of the new age, and to seeing them worked out in our own lives and world in this present age. Thus when we pray, "Thy kingdom come," we pray first of all for the consummation. But because the kingdom we long to see consummated has already begun to come, the same prayer is full of implications for the present.
  keithhamblen | Oct 19, 2013 |
GOSPELS (113-134): Jesus spoke in Aramaic and the authors wrote in Greek and that they wrote for different audiences (and as they were moved by the Holy Spirit), so they retold the stories and reworded the teachings (rather chose different words and different points of emphasis) to fit their (hermeneutical) purpose--this is what preachers are supposed to do.
...two levels of interest in Jesus: the historical facts and "the existential concern of retelling the story for the needs of later communities" 115
"In a certain sense, therefore, the Gospels are already functioning as hermeneutical models for us, insisting by their very nature that we, too, retell the same story in our own 20th -century contexts." 115
Exegesis of the Gospels, therefore, requires us to think both in terms of the historical setting of Jesus and in terms of the historical setting of the authors. ...know the historical context in general, but also [to] form a tentative, but informed, reconstruction of the situation that the author is addressing. 116
  keithhamblen | Oct 19, 2013 |
The authors provides suggestions on reading and studying the Bible, including chapters discussing how to approach the various genres of writing in the Bible. Their efforts, however, were a bit marred by the authors' own personal biases when it comes to matters such as Bible translations and even theological biases. Persons who disagree with specific parts of the faith of the authors will have issues with the authors' approach to certain things. Still, it is overall a good work on how to study the Bible that will be enjoyed by many persons wanting to improve their comprehension of Biblical texts. ( )
  thornton37814 | Aug 10, 2013 |
An excellent overview of how to read the Bible that is very readable. He also gives many recommendations of how to continue into deeper study. ( )
  aevaughn | May 20, 2013 |

and
Streeter and Merle Stuart
from whom we learned
our love for the Word

In our lighter moments we toyed with the idea of calling this book Not Just Another Book on How to Understand the Bible.

Understanding the Bible isn't for the few, the gifted, the scholarly. The Bible is accessible. It's meant to be read and comprehended by everyone from armchair readers to seminary students. A few essential insights into the Bible can clear up a lot of misconceptions and help you grasp the meaning of Scripture and its application to your 21st-century life.

More than half a million people have turned to How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth to inform their reading of the Bible. This third edition features substantial revisions that keep pace with current scholarship, resources, and culture. Changes include:

* Updated language
* A new authors' preface
* Several chapters rewritten for better readability
* Updated list of recommended commentaries and resources

Covering everything from translational concerns to different genres of biblical writing, How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth is used all around the world. In clear, simple language, it helps you accurately understand the different parts of the Bible---their meaning for ancient audiences and their implications for you today---so you can uncover the inexhaustible worth that is in God's Word.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:49 -0400)

Zondervan

An edition of this book was published by Zondervan.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible