Archaeology: Theories, Methods and Practice…

Archaeology: Theories, Methods and Practice

by Colin Renfrew

Had to read it for uni - well, we so far actually only had to read several chapters of it - but I liked it so much I finished the whole thing already. For obligatory reading, that's pretty great. ( )
  Merinde | Mar 31, 2013 |
Like most, this book was recommended reading on my undergrad degree. I used it many times as a reference work, both during uni and in the field. It is easy to read and accessible for anyone with an interest in archaeological practice. Highly recommended for anyone wishing to study archaeology. ( )
1 vote orak100 | Oct 7, 2009 |
Although I have never been formally trained in archaeology, I bought this book as a reference book many years ago in order to self-educate myself about the various facets of archaeology, how it is practiced, and the various methodologies used. I live in Alexandria, Egypt and am surrounded by archaeological sites and remains at every turn. I am also a diver and regularly dive on the remains of the Pharos Lighthouse, the Sunken Royal Quarters (aka "Cleopatra's Palace), and the shipwreck of Napoleon Bonaparte's flagship L'Orient. My interest in archaeology is in the underwater aspects (Underwater, Nautical, and Maritime Archaeology). This book has provided me with the foundation and fundamentals with which I approach each site that I visit, be it underwater or terrestrial. Great book which this "old Neophyte" highly recommends. This book is an easy read for non-academics as well as those which are doing formal study.

Shipwreckz,
www.shipwrecksofegypt.com ( )
  Shipwreckz | May 18, 2009 |
This was the book we were recommended to buy as a standard text for my undergrad course. It was never actually referred to over the course of my three years--typical of that university: you absolutely need to buy this very very expensive book, which is so essential we will never mention it again--but despite that, this is actually a comprehensive and interesting introduction to all facets of current archaeological practice. This is a slightly older edition now, but it's still a good intro to the field, particularly in terms of archaeological ethics. ( )
1 vote siriaeve | Oct 16, 2008 |
I know I bought this book with the grand scheme of reading it before I started grad school in Anthropology. I bought it in 1996, I am embarrassed to say, I have never read it.
  PammieJR | Sep 20, 2007 |

The third edition of this best-selling introduction to what archaeologists do and how they do it has been entirely revised and updated in the light of new views, discoveries, and data. Developments in the technology and scope of archaeology are reflected in an increased emphasis on aspects ranging from GIS (Geographic Information Systems) and information on the Internet to gender archaeology and the latest thinking on post-processualism and cognitive archaeology. The profound impact of advances in genetics and linguistics is assessed, and some sections of the book -- the dating of rock art, for example -- have been totally rewritten in the light of recent events.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:35 -0400)

Widely praised for its comprehensive coverage, excellent graphics and well-organized layout, this invaluable introduction for students and enthusiasts of archaeology has been expanded to incorporate all the latest developments.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,288,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible