Liverpool Street by Anne Voorhoeve

Liverpool Street (edition 2010)

by Anne Voorhoeve

Member:Baukis
Title:Liverpool Street
Authors:Anne Voorhoeve
Info:Leuven Davidsfonds 2010
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Jewish shoah

My Family for the War by Anne C. Voorhoeve

English (4)  Dutch (1)  All languages (5)
READ IN DUTCH

I actually took this book with me to give it to my mother, as she really likes to read children's books about the Second World War. She said I should read the book as well. And I'm really glad because I enjoyed reading it a lot and think I've learned quite a lot by reading it.

I had heard before of the trains that saved Jewish children to England. But to be honest, I never had given it that much thought. Mostly about how extremely hard it must have been. Some things seemed really harsh to me though, like how she wouldn't be allowed to return to England if she had once left it. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 23, 2014 |
This is a YA book, but adults will enjoy reading it as well. It takes place from 1939 through the end of World War II. The story is about a girl raised as a Christian, but who was declared a Jew according to Nazi German laws. She is put on a Kindertraansport to England just before World War II begins. The story is historically accurate and full of emotion. Even though this story is fictional, it is evident the author did an extensive amount of research to make the story as realistic as possible. The story also explores a topic not usually seen in books about the treatment of Jews by the Nazis; this family was second generation Christian, but due to hereditary laws of Nazi Germany, they were now considered Jewish. ( )
  WendyVanBeelen | Jul 5, 2013 |
Beautifully written with rich and colorful characters. This book covers the Jews' struggles in England rather than focusing just on Germany. It's the first account I've read about the kindertransport that led many children to "safety". What brave children they were as they left their parents behind! This family's story will tug at your heart strings. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 12, 2013 |
This is a sprawling book told from the perspective of Ziska, a young girl whose family is persecuted in Nazi Germany for their Jewish ancestors, though the family converted to Christianity a few generations back. As their friends make plans to emigrate, they stay, reasoning it will get better, until it's too late. When Ziska's father is detained, and their world closes in on them, Ziska's mother grasps at the one option available: the kindertransport that smuggled Jewish children out of Germany and to host families in England. Ziska is taken in by the Shepard family, observant Jews who are a bit disconcerted to find themselves fostering a Christian. Son Gary is delighted to have a sister, and warmly helps her assimilate. Ziska learns English, attends school (from which she sneaks away every day, knocking on doors to try to secure a position for her parents), and gradually embraces her Jewish heritage. The book takes place over the course of the war -- Ziska, now called Frances, is wrenched away from the Shepards to the safety of the countryside and another host family; her parents are deported to Holland, where their declining health and precarious circumstances strain and finally end their correspondence; Gary enlists to the dismay of his parents; the Shepards reclaim Frances and attempt to survive the blitz together in London. The war transforms everyone and everything, and at its conclusion Ziska/Frances must come to terms with her losses, and determine to whom she really belongs, and who she really is. This is far from a perfect read, with Frances's immature voice sometimes grating, and enough writing and/or translation issues to be a distraction (the book was published in Germany in 2007). Nevertheless, I was riveted and deeply moved.

Voorhoeve, A. (2012). My family for the war. New York: Dial Books.
1 vote AMQS | Aug 23, 2012 |

Before the start of World War II, ten-year-old Ziska Mangold, who has Jewish ancestors but has been raised as a Protestant, is taken out of Nazi Germany on one of the Kindertransport trains, to live in London with a Jewish family, where she learns about Judaism and endures the hardships of war while attempting to keep in touch with her parents, who are trying to survive in Holland.… (more)

7 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,480,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible