Liverpool Street by Anne Voorhoeve

Liverpool Street (edition 2010)

by Anne Voorhoeve

Title:Liverpool Street
Authors:Anne Voorhoeve
Info:Leuven Davidsfonds 2010
Tags:Jewish shoah

My Family for the War by Anne C. Voorhoeve

Recently added byprivate library, davidgn, shantedze, ScribblingSprite, stansteiner, Leselinchen, novewong

English (6)  Dutch (1)  All languages (7)
An excellent historical novel about the kindertransport. Translated from the German edition. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
Very well-written, but once Ziska/Frances ends up in England, I feel like the narrative can't choose whether she's more worried about her Jewishness or her attempts to have both her bio family and her adopted family take importance in her life. I still love this book as a whole, though, and I was in denial about a certain painful plot point until the very last page. ( )
  jwarbler | Mar 18, 2015 |

I actually took this book with me to give it to my mother, as she really likes to read children's books about the Second World War. She said I should read the book as well. And I'm really glad because I enjoyed reading it a lot and think I've learned quite a lot by reading it.

I had heard before of the trains that saved Jewish children to England. But to be honest, I never had given it that much thought. Mostly about how extremely hard it must have been. Some things seemed really harsh to me though, like how she wouldn't be allowed to return to England if she had once left it. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
This is a YA book, but adults will enjoy reading it as well. It takes place from 1939 through the end of World War II. The story is about a girl raised as a Christian, but who was declared a Jew according to Nazi German laws. She is put on a Kindertraansport to England just before World War II begins. The story is historically accurate and full of emotion. Even though this story is fictional, it is evident the author did an extensive amount of research to make the story as realistic as possible. The story also explores a topic not usually seen in books about the treatment of Jews by the Nazis; this family was second generation Christian, but due to hereditary laws of Nazi Germany, they were now considered Jewish. ( )
  WendyVanBeelen | Jul 5, 2013 |
Beautifully written with rich and colorful characters. This book covers the Jews' struggles in England rather than focusing just on Germany. It's the first account I've read about the kindertransport that led many children to "safety". What brave children they were as they left their parents behind! This family's story will tug at your heart strings. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 12, 2013 |
For my mother
I would never find another friend like Rebekka Liebich.

Before the start of World War II, ten-year-old Ziska Mangold, who has Jewish ancestors but has been raised as a Protestant, is taken out of Nazi Germany on one of the Kindertransport trains, to live in London with a Jewish family, where she learns about Judaism and endures the hardships of war while attempting to keep in touch with her parents, who are trying to survive in Holland.… (more)

20 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,854,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible