Luck: A Novel by Perseus

Luck: A Novel (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Perseus (Author)

One woman is an ex-beauty-queen, one is a recovering addict to virtue, and one is an artist. The man of the big old house on the hill, Philip Lawrence, is suddenly dead and his departure is bound to have dramatic effects. The abruptly widowed Nora, whose recent works of biblical art have caused a fundamentalist furor in their town, is unexpectedly confronted by solo life in a place she despises. Beth, her wispy, beautiful model, faces losing a haven from her own eerie history, while housekeeper Sophie, a former overseas aid volunteer shattered by trauma, will have to find new ways to resist old compulsions. Luck follows the three days after Philip's death as the women careen through circumstances none of them could ever have imagined. 3 days, 3 women. The big question is 'What's next?'… (more)
Member:jtietze
Title:Luck: A Novel
Authors:Perseus (Author)
Info:Carroll & Graf (2006), Edition: Advanced Reading Copy, 320 pages

Luck by Joan Barfoot (2005)

Not as enjoyable as Exit Lines, but enough that I'll look for another of her books ... I wonder if she always writes about death? ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
The subject matter of this book caught my interest which is why I picked it up. A woman wakes up to discover a corpse in the bed beside her; her husband has died his sleep. The rest of the book traces the fallout from his death and the complex relationships he had with the four women in his life.

Unfortunately, I found nothing to relate to in any of the characters. They all seemed petty, selfish, and cruel in different ways (even the dead man, whom we should've had the most empathy for). By the time I got to the end of the book. I had totally lost interest in what was happening and the characters it was happening to. ( )
  Gayle_C._Bull | Aug 26, 2013 |
I really loved the premise of Luck. It is tightly written and Barfoot gives us three very interesting main characters. My only issue with the novel is the structure of the time line. The first three sections are each one day in time. The fourth section jumps to one year later and I was let down by that plot device. I feel as though I missed out on some behind the scenes action/development. It is a minor complaint though. I think this would make for an excellent book group read. ( )
  Booktrovert | Apr 6, 2013 |
Fourty-six year old Philip Lawrence dies, unexpectedly, in his sleep. Upon waking, his wife, Nora, screams, which brings the two other women living in the house running. Beth is Nora's model -- beautiful, etheral and barely present. Sophie is the housekeeper/business manager -- large, vibrant and seemingly in control. As the story unfolds, we learn about the lives of these three women -- what brought them together and how they manage after the death of the man of the house.

The writing is excellent as Ms. Barfoot delves into the lives and feelings of her characters. Definitely a character-driven novel, and what strong, compelling characters she draws. I loved it. ( )
  LynnB | Jun 27, 2012 |
An interesting book about an unusual situation - three women and their relationships with each other and with a man who dies at the beginning of the book. I find myself wondering how to best describe the book, because there isn't a real focus. I reckon that Barfoot's strength is in the way she conveys the nature of everyday relationships, and this book is a good example of that. She has a way of pointing out the subtle, usually unspoken interactions which actually say so much more than the actual dialog. Her characters, both male and female, are real people whose lives make interesting reading. ( )
  oldblack | Nov 8, 2009 |
Joan Barfoot’s 10th novel, like her ninth, Critical Injuries, begins with a cataclysmic event: in this case, the death of a husband.

There is good luck, and there is bad luck, and then there's the ambiguous sort of luck that's a lot of this and some of the other. For instance:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,489,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible