The Thirteen Treasures by Michelle Harrison

The Thirteen Treasures

by Michelle Harrison

4482923,330 (4)24

English (27)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (29)
A thirteen year old girl is the protagonist in this mysterious fantasy book. She can see and talk to faeries, but they torment her. Her mother thinks she is going crazy and sends her live with her grandmother where the girl makes some discoveries about her family history. This book perfectly fits children on the cusp of young adulthood. Readers who enjoy fantasy and mystery will find this book especially appealing. ( )
  bouchk | Mar 17, 2014 |
Recommended Ages: Gr. 4-8

Plot Summary: Tanya's mom is getting sick of the strange things that keep happening to Tanya. Finally, she brings Tanya to Florence's house for the summer. None of the members involved are excited about that, and the change of scenery is not stopping the fairies from tormenting Tanya. All she wants is to be able to tell someone about what she sees, but the fairies torture her to try to persuade her to stop. No one would believe her anyways.

Florence and Fabian bond for the first time this summer. They both want to solve the mystery of what happened to Morwenna Bloom, who disappeared into the forest over 30 years ago, to clear Amos' name. Tanya also wants to help Red (who she found stealing food and living in the secret tunnels of the house) find her long lost brother. Will they be able to get into the forest at the right time to make everything right?

Setting: outside London, England

Characters:
Tanya - 13 y/o, doesn't get along with Fabian and wants to avoid him
Oberon - Tanya's dog
Florence - Tanya's maternal grandmother, bitter and unwelcoming
Warwick - groundskeeper for Florence's large estate, angry and gruff frequently but not violent, the hunter for the grounds
Amos - Warwick's father, was the groundkeeper, now lives on the second floor and shouts at people to help him, a little mad mentally
Fabian - 12 y/o, calls his father by his first name, afraid of his dad, really likes science
Morwenna Bloom - Florence's best friend when they were fourteen, disappeared into the forest, Amos is accused of murdering her but she went on her own accord, forever 14 y/o
Red - AKA Rowan Fox, 14 y/o, lost her younger brother when they were living in an orphanage and wants to get him back, also a changeling who is sour at first but eventually agrees to give Tanya information in exchange for the stuff she needs to hide a baby she stole from the hospital, steals babies frequently because they are changelings and she doesn't want them to end up in a hospital or science lab when weird things start happening
? Elvesden - Tamya's great-great grandmother, wore the charm bracelet in her painting, was sent to a madhouse when she was in her early 20s and she died there
Mad Morag - old woman who lives in the forest, everybody thinks she's a witch and she sells potions etc., but the community generally doesn't believe in magic
Brunswick - goblin that gets beaten up by the other two goblins, Tanya helps him so he repays the favor one time

Recurring Themes: fairies, changeling, friendship, another world, torment, unknown, family, discovering who you are

Controversial Issues:
pg 281 - "what the hell is that?"

Personal Thoughts: Again, I admit that I'm not a huge fan of fantasy, but I had issue with this beyond beyond "I don't understand the world." I didn't understand the explanation of the fairies, but more importantly, I didn't understand the plot of the book until almost two-thirds of the way through. And wouldn't that problem be solved if Florence moved? Or if someone told Tanya she couldn't come?

Everything was so ridiculously obvious and it took forever for the characters to realize the stuff I figured out a lot time ago. There were no plot twists in my eyes. It was so easy to figure out who the changeling was in the family, what the thirteen charms represented, why Amos held onto a lock of fair, etc. All of these things made the plot boring.

Lastly, I don't think the book had enough character development or action to keep it moving. There were not that many characters and yet I didn't really feel like I knew them, or that I was them.

not authentic: don't give any reason why Fabian is afraid of is dad

Genre: Fantasy (fairies)

Pacing: slow, problem and plot very slow to develop
Characters: not too many but not as well developed as they could be
Frame: difficult to understand this world the author created and the reason the fairies behave as they do
Storyline:

Activity: fairies ( )
  pigeonlover | Aug 9, 2013 |
I'm afraid I agree with phoebesmum. Pretty run of the mill. Nothing wrong with it, but for a fantasy it's not very fantastic or imaginative. Not badly written, but not very tightly crafted. Elements seem to appear when they are needed to move the plot along and disappear when the plot moves on. I was surprised that it merited a sequel. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Jun 8, 2013 |
a page-turner with good and bad fairies, gnomes, ghosts, an ancient ivy-covered mansion; great setting, characters and story ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
This book is about evil and good fairies fighting and a girl who is seconded sighted but she doesn't tell anyone and she doesn't think anyone else is second sighted but is there? ( )
  KatherineHaley | Jan 9, 2013 |
For Mum, and for my niece, Tanya
Even as a small child Tanya had known her grandmother's manor to be home to many secrets.
'Fairies lie and fairies steal, but humans think and humans feel'.

(Tanya)

Tanya is no ordinary girl. She can see fairies. But not the fairies we imagine. Evil fairies who cast spells on her, rousing her from her sleep and propelling her out of bed. At wit's end with her daughter's inexplicable behavior, Tanya's mother sends her away to live with her grandmother at Elvesden Manor, a secluded countryside mansion on the outskirts of a peculiar Essex town.

There is plenty to explore, as long as Tanya stays away from Hangman's Wood- a vast stretch of forest, full of catacombs and notorious for people losing their lives. Fifty years ago a girl vanished in the woods, a girl Tanya's grandmother will not speak of. As Tanya learns more about this girl, she finds herself dangerously close to vanishing into the fairy realm forever.

Debut author Michelle Harrison weaves an intricate mystery into a beautiful and haunting fantasy that captures a rich world of fairy lore where only the color red can offer protection.

Bedeviled by evil fairies that only she can see, thirteen-year-old Tanya is sent to stay with her cold and distant grandmother at Elvesden Manor, where she and the caretaker's son solve a disturbing mystery that leads them to the discovery that Tanya's life is in danger.… (more)

Michelle Harrison is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,353,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible