The Thirteen Treasures by Michelle Harrison

The Thirteen Treasures

by Michelle Harrison

English (31)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (33)
This book was recommended to me by a former student, she said I would "really like" it and I did! It isn't your typical story about sweet, little fairies. There is humor, mystery, adventure and lots of questions to try and answer.
Curricular Connections:
*Because it is a trilogy, it would make a great book study, book club book
*Books on fairies, fairy realm to learn more about the fairy world
  JulieBFEL | Feb 3, 2016 |
My daughter and I are reading this together. Well, sort of. She wanted me to read it first and tell her if she would like it or if it would be too scary for her and because she knows I love fairies. She's 10 and scared easily so I don't think she should read this yet. ( )
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
This was an interesting and fun read. The story is about Tanya a young girl who has an ability she wishes she didnt, she can see and talk to fairies and other little creatures. But the fairies she interacts with are vicious and vindictive, torturing her at night. Because of her odd behavior her mother decides to get rid of her for awhile and sends her to the overgrown home of her grandmother. She hates this home because of the creepy caretaker Warwick and his nasty son Fabian, and because no one wants her there, that is abundantly clear. The home is on the edge of Hangmans woods, a space she and Fabian are strictly forbidden to explore. The story continues in a mildly predictable fashion.

But, the part that really interests me about this story is how often descriptions and spells turn up in a variety of books. This happened over and over here. I was reminded of the Chestnut King. The fairies are much the same, and they both talk about the Seelie Court.

Anyway, I read this in an afternoon and would recommend it for those just getting started in fantasy worlds. ( )
  kebets | Sep 14, 2015 |
A thirteen year old girl is the protagonist in this mysterious fantasy book. She can see and talk to faeries, but they torment her. Her mother thinks she is going crazy and sends her live with her grandmother where the girl makes some discoveries about her family history. This book perfectly fits children on the cusp of young adulthood. Readers who enjoy fantasy and mystery will find this book especially appealing. ( )
  bouchk | Mar 17, 2014 |
For Mum, and for my niece, Tanya
Even as a small child Tanya had known her grandmother's manor to be home to many secrets.
'Fairies lie and fairies steal, but humans think and humans feel'.

(Tanya)

Tanya is no ordinary girl. She can see fairies. But not the fairies we imagine. Evil fairies who cast spells on her, rousing her from her sleep and propelling her out of bed. At wit's end with her daughter's inexplicable behavior, Tanya's mother sends her away to live with her grandmother at Elvesden Manor, a secluded countryside mansion on the outskirts of a peculiar Essex town.

There is plenty to explore, as long as Tanya stays away from Hangman's Wood- a vast stretch of forest, full of catacombs and notorious for people losing their lives. Fifty years ago a girl vanished in the woods, a girl Tanya's grandmother will not speak of. As Tanya learns more about this girl, she finds herself dangerously close to vanishing into the fairy realm forever.

Debut author Michelle Harrison weaves an intricate mystery into a beautiful and haunting fantasy that captures a rich world of fairy lore where only the color red can offer protection.

Bedeviled by evil fairies that only she can see, thirteen-year-old Tanya is sent to stay with her cold and distant grandmother at Elvesden Manor, where she and the caretaker's son solve a disturbing mystery that leads them to the discovery that Tanya's life is in danger.… (more)

Michelle Harrison is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,334,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible