The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the…

The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite

by David Kessler

795None11,509 (3.53)23
Recently added byBurch, chickalea, mamabi, Scottycooks, private library, simbajoy, hombredemaderas, ksimon, Asharcher
2009 (6) 2010 (7) 2012 (4) all (4) audiobook (4) cooking (6) diet (44) eating (13) fat (4) food (82) food industry (23) food writing (6) goodreads (4) health (61) Kindle (13) library (5) non-fiction (97) nutrition (53) obesity (29) overeating (20) psychology (21) read (14) read in 2009 (6) read in 2010 (4) science (19) self-help (10) to-read (15) weight control (6) weight loss (12) wishlist (10)

Very informational book about how the food industry puts additives in our food products to make them super palatable, therefore enticing us to eat more and contributing to the obesity of our country. A must read. ( )
  Mary6508 | Oct 28, 2013 |
This NY Times bestseller has been featured on several television and radio shows, partly because it is written by Dr. David Kessler, the former head of the Food and Drug Administration. Dr. Kessler spends a huge portion of the book discussing how food manufacturers and restaurants add fat, sugar and salt to make it more palatable and how our body reacts to these ingredients. He even dedicates whole chapters to chains like Cinnabon and goes over many of the tastier items on the Chili's menu. He discusses the biology of food addiction and he gives some suggestions (avoid contact with unhealthy foods), but after finishing the book, I didn't feel like I knew how to turn my penchant for sweets into a craving for celery. I did find myself craving a Cinnabon though. I admire Dr. Kessler for all that he has done in trying to get full disclosure in food labels and restaurant selections. His goal of ending childhood obesity is wonderful. But, his book is not going to end chubby thighs, at least for me. Hopefully his work will lead to healthier choices and a better overall awareness of the causes of obesity. So, if you are interested in how our food industry is contributing to obesity in our society or want to know how many teaspoons of sugar are in a Strawberry and Cream Frappuccino (18!!), then you will find this book interesting and informative. But, if you are looking for a diet book, then this is not it.
1 vote jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
This book helped me to think about eating in a different way. I especially enjoyed learning more about how chain restaurants prepare, serve and market their food. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
But fat, salt and sugar taste so good, Doctor... ( )
  KidSisyphus | Apr 5, 2013 |
I skimmed this book then listened to it on audio - the combination has imprinted a few hints for better eating - highly recommend this one ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
It's a quick read, partly because of the short chapters, and partly because it runs a little to repetition, but for all that, it's a fascinating read.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (May 7, 2009)

Most of us know what it feels like to fall under the spell of food--when a handful of chips leads to an empty bag. But it's harder to understand why we can't seem to stop eating, even when we know better. Dr. David Kessler, the dynamic former FDA commissioner who reinvented the food label and tackled the tobacco industry, now cracks the code of overeating by explaining how our bodies and minds are changed when we consume foods that contain sugar, fat, and salt. Food manufacturers create products by manipulating these ingredients to stimulate our appetites, setting in motion a cycle of desire and consumption that ends with a nation of overeaters. This book explains for the first time why it is exceptionally difficult to resist certain foods and why it's so easy to overindulge. Dr. Kessler's cutting-edge investigation offers new insights and helpful tools to help us find a solution.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible