Willow by Julia Hoban

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Gothic Fiction

Willow by Julia Hoban

I could not get past the first 50 pages. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
I read a few books lately involving teens who have experienced loss of family members. This one would seem to be the most tragic. Willow gets into a car accident while driving her parents home from a party (they had too much to drink). Willow survives the accident, but both of her parents die. Willow's older brother, David & his pregnant wife, Cathy take Willow in and become her guardians. Willow turns to cutting to help her avoid dealing with her emotional pain. When Willow meets Guy and he discovers her secret, she is forced to deal with all the feelings she has been trying so desperately to avoid. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Eight months ago Willow and her parents got into a horrible car crash. And, unfortunately because her parents decided to drink a little bit too much, Willow was the one behind the wheel and the only one who survived. She is forced to move in with her much older brother, his wife and their new baby girl. Consumed with grief, and worst of all, guilt Willow starts to cut herself. It is the only escape she knows until she meets Guy who helps her overcome her self harm.

I’m not going to lie, I cringed every single time she cut. The author describes it so vividly it almost felt like I was there with Willow whenever it happened. And although it was slightly uncomfortable at times, I really did like the vividness. It made the book seem real. I felt like the book progressed perfectly. Willow and Guy don’t automatically become best friends and fall in love, which seems to happen in quite a few books, nor does Willow stop cutting all of a sudden just because she meets Guy. It takes time for them to trust each other completely, but once they do it’s perfect.

Both Willow and Guy are great characters. Despite everything she’s been through, it doesn’t feel like Willow is complaining when she talks about her problems which is great since I can’t stand when all characters do is whine, whine, whine. As for Guy, he is fantastic. He is caring and sweet, but also tough. He doesn’t give up on Willow no matter how hard or how many times she tries to push him away.

I originally bought this for my friend as her Christmas present a while back. But instead of giving it to her I decided to give her the first book in the Pretty Little Liars series and keep this one for myself. Kind of bad, I know, but I’m so glad I did. ( )
  joanab951 | May 21, 2015 |
OK I gave up on this because I was tired of the teenage angst although if we ever have a cutter on campus I will have to tell Bon about it. "I killed my parents" every other chapter (she was driving a car during an accident)...I can't carry on a decent conversation with ANYONE and act like a ditz (as in a girl asks where the library in her school is and she starts to take her to a university one where she works rather than the one in her school) ....I need to cut myself constantly.....I realize that this is a problem with some girls and for them I am sure that this is a worthwhile book although it never really explains why she gets some much out of doing it, unless of course that happened in the 2nd half of the book. Seems the boyfriend got way to involved also so definitely not a book for us. ( )
  FaithLibrarian | Nov 6, 2014 |
When 16 year old Willow accidentally kills her parents in a car accident, her world turns upside down. Forced to live with her older brother, his new wife and baby, Willow finds condemned by his silence towards her. In order to cope with her losses, she turns to cutting. Cutting is the only way she can face each day, and drown out her former life. For 7 months, cutting is her way of life - until she meets Guy. Guy is unlike any boy she's ever met before and, despite herself, Willow finds herself drawn to him. Guy offers her hope, something she has not had in so long, but Willow doesn't feel she can't let go of the cutting which has become her life. She will have to choose, but Willow's choices have never turned out well... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
"Hoban takes readers on an intense journey that allows them to see a cutter's painful reality."
added by Awesomeness1 | editSLJ

"In this unusual sotry of first love and redemption, Hoban manages the difficult task of making the reader care about and root for a heroine with little initial self-worth and a nearly unthinkable way of dealing with her pain."
added by Awesomeness1 | editVOYA

"Lush and intense, tortured and romantic, this is a compelling story with some will-nigh irresistable...this is a turbulent and emotional tale as a girl as much wounded as wounding."
added by Awesomeness1 | editBCCB

"The stark clarity of the present tense, third-person narration echoes the numbing effect that Willow achieves through cutting...a credible depiction of a grieving girl's struggle toward self-forgiveness."
added by Awesomeness1 | editPublishers Weekly

For Henry Grayson and Charles Grodin: Two of eighteen
Maybe it's just a scratch
Published as both "Willow" and "Scarred"

Seven months ago, on a rainy March night, sixteen-year- old Willow's parents drank too much wine and asked her to drive them home. They never made it. Willow lost control of the car and her parents died in the accident. Now she has left behind her old home, friends, and school, and blocks the pain by secretly cutting herself. But when Willow meets Guy, a boy as sensitive and complicated as she is, she begins an intense, life-changing relationship that turns her world upside down.

Told in an arresting, fresh voice, Willow is an unforgettable novel about one girl's struggle to cope with tragedy, and one boy's refusal to give up on her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Willow, who was driving the car that killed both of her parents, copes with the pain and guilt by cutting herself, until she meets a smart and sensitive boy who is determined to help her stop.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,741,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible