Willow by Julia Hoban

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Gothic Fiction

Willow by Julia Hoban

Eight months ago Willow and her parents got into a horrible car crash. And, unfortunately because her parents decided to drink a little bit too much, Willow was the one behind the wheel and the only one who survived. She is forced to move in with her much older brother, his wife and their new baby girl. Consumed with grief, and worst of all, guilt Willow starts to cut herself. It is the only escape she knows until she meets Guy who helps her overcome her self harm.

I’m not going to lie, I cringed every single time she cut. The author describes it so vividly it almost felt like I was there with Willow whenever it happened. And although it was slightly uncomfortable at times, I really did like the vividness. It made the book seem real. I felt like the book progressed perfectly. Willow and Guy don’t automatically become best friends and fall in love, which seems to happen in quite a few books, nor does Willow stop cutting all of a sudden just because she meets Guy. It takes time for them to trust each other completely, but once they do it’s perfect.

Both Willow and Guy are great characters. Despite everything she’s been through, it doesn’t feel like Willow is complaining when she talks about her problems which is great since I can’t stand when all characters do is whine, whine, whine. As for Guy, he is fantastic. He is caring and sweet, but also tough. He doesn’t give up on Willow no matter how hard or how many times she tries to push him away.

I originally bought this for my friend as her Christmas present a while back. But instead of giving it to her I decided to give her the first book in the Pretty Little Liars series and keep this one for myself. Kind of bad, I know, but I’m so glad I did. ( )
  joanab951 | May 21, 2015 |
OK I gave up on this because I was tired of the teenage angst although if we ever have a cutter on campus I will have to tell Bon about it. "I killed my parents" every other chapter (she was driving a car during an accident)...I can't carry on a decent conversation with ANYONE and act like a ditz (as in a girl asks where the library in her school is and she starts to take her to a university one where she works rather than the one in her school) ....I need to cut myself constantly.....I realize that this is a problem with some girls and for them I am sure that this is a worthwhile book although it never really explains why she gets some much out of doing it, unless of course that happened in the 2nd half of the book. Seems the boyfriend got way to involved also so definitely not a book for us. ( )
  FaithLibrarian | Nov 6, 2014 |
When 16 year old Willow accidentally kills her parents in a car accident, her world turns upside down. Forced to live with her older brother, his new wife and baby, Willow finds condemned by his silence towards her. In order to cope with her losses, she turns to cutting. Cutting is the only way she can face each day, and drown out her former life. For 7 months, cutting is her way of life - until she meets Guy. Guy is unlike any boy she's ever met before and, despite herself, Willow finds herself drawn to him. Guy offers her hope, something she has not had in so long, but Willow doesn't feel she can't let go of the cutting which has become her life. She will have to choose, but Willow's choices have never turned out well... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Not an absolutely horrible book, but one I had to give up on slightly past page 200. It was just the same thing over and over. I think it would ring strongly with someone that the problem of cutting strikes a little more closely. I'm not sure how the book ended, but a few possibilities all seem very likely. One interesting thing Hoban did was limit her physical descriptions of characters (or so it seemed to me), which I think was brilliant so readers did not have preconceived notions of the characters and the real life people they represent. ( )
  rdwhitenack | Aug 2, 2014 |
This was a "free read" for me, it used to belong to Sarah I believe, came across it in a pile in the garage. Willow is a 17 year old girl who's parents died in a horrific car accident with her behind the wheel on the night of the worst storm system to have gone through in years. Willow believes that SHE killed her parents, & has caused her older brother, who is 15 years older than she is, to hate her. Her own pain has caused her to turn to pain that she can control, & she cuts.

This is Willow's journey through the pain, to finally reconnecting with her brother, facing her fears, her grief, & with the help & love of a boy named Guy, overcoming the need to self mutilate.

It's eye opening, heart breaking, & ultimately sweet all at the same time. ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 11, 2014 |
"Hoban takes readers on an intense journey that allows them to see a cutter's painful reality."
added by Awesomeness1 | editSLJ

"In this unusual sotry of first love and redemption, Hoban manages the difficult task of making the reader care about and root for a heroine with little initial self-worth and a nearly unthinkable way of dealing with her pain."
added by Awesomeness1 | editVOYA

"Lush and intense, tortured and romantic, this is a compelling story with some will-nigh irresistable...this is a turbulent and emotional tale as a girl as much wounded as wounding."
added by Awesomeness1 | editBCCB

"The stark clarity of the present tense, third-person narration echoes the numbing effect that Willow achieves through cutting...a credible depiction of a grieving girl's struggle toward self-forgiveness."
added by Awesomeness1 | editPublishers Weekly

For Henry Grayson and Charles Grodin: Two of eighteen
Maybe it's just a scratch
Published as both "Willow" and "Scarred"

Seven months ago, on a rainy March night, sixteen-year- old Willow's parents drank too much wine and asked her to drive them home. They never made it. Willow lost control of the car and her parents died in the accident. Now she has left behind her old home, friends, and school, and blocks the pain by secretly cutting herself. But when Willow meets Guy, a boy as sensitive and complicated as she is, she begins an intense, life-changing relationship that turns her world upside down.

Told in an arresting, fresh voice, Willow is an unforgettable novel about one girl's struggle to cope with tragedy, and one boy's refusal to give up on her.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:04 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Willow, who was driving the car that killed both of her parents, copes with the pain and guilt by cutting herself, until she meets a smart and sensitive boy who is determined to help her stop.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,176,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible