Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank…

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (edition 1997)

by Frank Miller, Klaus Janson (Illustrator), Lynn Varley (Colorist)

Title:Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Authors:Frank Miller
Other authors:Klaus Janson (Illustrator), Lynn Varley (Colorist)
Info:DC Comics (1997), Edition: 10 Anv, Paperback, 224 pages

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (Writer/Penciller)

English (72)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (77)
Coming soon... ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
This book is said to be one of the best batman stories that has ever been written, and I tend to agree, a dark look at Batman before Nolan took the title of making Batman dark. This is an almost perfect piece of Batman's mythos that a lot of people think is the best comic ever written, and it might be... While the artwork might not appeal to some graphic novel book fans, the story is gripping and its fun to see Batman kick Superman's ass. ( )
  Arkrayder | Apr 22, 2016 |
A fantastic book. Some of Miller's artisitc choices felt unnecessarily exagerated to me, but then, I suppose that was the point, and really, they do little to detract from the story, which remains classic Miller in terms of its plotting and his visual style. The arrangement of his panels is inspiring, and the sparseness of his narrative style works extremely well for this story, which reads almost like a Dashielle Hammett novel. The ending (which reportedly gave Miller some trouble) is excellent, particularly in what it reveals about the characters of Bruce Wayne and Alfred. Plus, Miller writes one of the most original Robins I've seen, and one of the very few I can abide. An engrossing read that I will look forward to rereading many times over. ( )
  Snoek-Brown | Feb 7, 2016 |
My first foray into Batman graphic novels.
Some more in depth knowledge of plotlines may have been beneficial but all in all a good story - sombre tales of the ageing Dark Knight. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
The classic Batman story, telling of Batman's forced retirement and return to crime fighting. This story seems to have started the trend of darker comics dealing with more psychological and sociological issues. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
"The stories are convoluted, difficult to follow and crammed with far too much text. The drawings offer a grotesquely muscle-bound Batman and Superman, not the lovable champions of old.... If this book is meant for kids, I doubt that they will be pleased. If it is aimed at adults, they are not the sort I want to drink with."

Miller, FrankWriter/Pencillerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Costanza, JohnLetterermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Janson, KlausInkermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Varley, LynnColouristmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, AlanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Will Jungkuntz 1955 - 1985
I've got the home stretch all to myself when the readings stop making sense.
The time has come. You know it in your soul. For I am your soul... you cannot escape me... you are puny, you are small—you are nothing—a hollow shell, a rusty trap that cannot hold me—smoldering, I burn you—burning you, I flare, hot and bright and fierce and beautiful—you cannot stop me—not with wine or vows or the weight of age—you cannot stop me but still you try—still you run—you try to drown me out... but your voice is weak...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 156389341X, Hardcover)

If any comic has a claim to have truly reinvigorated the genre, then The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller--known also for his excellent Sin City series and his superb rendering of the blind superhero Daredevil--is probably the top contender. Batman represented all that was wrong in comics and Miller set himself a tough task taking on the camp crusader and turning this laughable, innocuous children's cartoon character into a hero for our times. The great Alan Moore (V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing, the arguably peerless Watchmen) argued that only someone of Miller's stature could have done this. Batman is a character known well beyond the confines of the comic world (as are his retinue) and so reinventing him, while keeping his limiting core essentials intact, was a huge task.

Miller went far beyond the call of duty. The Dark Knight is a success on every level. Firstly it does keep the core elements of the Batman myth intact, with Robin, Alfred the butler, Commissioner Gordon, and the old roster of villains, present yet brilliantly subverted. Secondly the artwork is fantastic--detailed, sometimes claustrophobic, psychotic. Lastly it's a great story: Gotham City is a hell on earth, street gangs roam but there are no heroes. Decay is ubiquitous. Where is a hero to save Gotham? It is 10 years since the last recorded sighting of the Batman. And things have got worse than ever. Bruce Wayne is close to being a broken man but something is keeping him sane: the need to see change and the belief that he can orchestrate some of that change. Batman is back. The Dark Knight has returned. Awesome. --Mark Thwaite

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:42 -0400)

After ten years away from the public eye, a wave of violence in Gotham City brings Batman back as a vigilante.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,789,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible