Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank…

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (edition 1997)

by Frank Miller (Writer/Penciller), Klaus Janson (Illustrator), Lynn Varley (Colorist)

Member:jldorn
Title:Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Authors:Frank Miller
Other authors:Klaus Janson (Illustrator), Lynn Varley (Colorist)
Info:DC Comics (1997), Edition: 10 Anv, Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:*****

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (Writer/Penciller)

English (80)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All (85)
Has to be the best graphic novel I've read. Great use of juxtaposition. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
Frank Miller's vision of an ageing Bruce Wayne once again taking up the mantle of Batman in the near future is one of the most well told and defining points in the Batman mythos. A must read for fans of Batman and comic lovers. ( )
  MerkabaZA | Jun 12, 2017 |
  nerdythor | May 30, 2017 |
The greatest Batman story ever told. Set against the world, with even Superman compromised and colluding with a corrupt government, Batman is undaunted and refuses to give in. This is the classic I'd heard it would be. ( )
  PastorBob | Apr 24, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot, Booklikes & Librarything by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission.

Title: Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Series: The Dark Knight Saga #1
Author: Frank Miller, et al
Rating: 2.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: Comic
Pages: 224
Format: Paperback

Synopsis: Spoilers

Batman has retired, all of the other superheroes have been forced into retirement by Superman, who is now a secret stooge of the United States Government.

But with Gotham getting worse and worse, Batman comes back. Lots of things happen, the Russians nuke a south american ally of the United States and Superman kills Batman, who has in turn killed the Joker. Except obviously Batman doesn't die but goes on to become the worlds biggest boyscout to a bunch of misfits. Oh the irony.

My Thoughts:

If you're not a fan of Reagan, you might like this more. If you're not a fan of Superman, you might like this more.

I own this and have read it before, but never logged it or reviewed it. I remembered up through part II where Batman takes down a gang leader to stop them from taking over Gotham. Everything else I did not remember.

There is a reason I blacked it out.

Superman being a collaborator to shut down super powered heroes. I didn't buy it for a minute. Superman being stupid enough to detonate a nuclear missile in the earth's atmosphere. I didn't buy that for a minute. If this had just been about an old Batman, I would have bought that a lot more. But screw Miller. You don't mess with my Superman.

I also apparently own the sequel, The Dark Knight Strikes Again. I'm already dreading it. If it's like this one, I'll be looking into giving these away somehow.

Also, this is the first comic where it is apparent that I'm getting old. I had to take OFF my glasses several times and bring the book close to read the bloody text. There were quite a few times where the text was very squiggly, cursive'y, irregular and it made it bloody hard to read. Goodness, I'm in fine fettle with this book.

I'm being very generous with my star rating here. If I was just judging this on enjoyment alone, it would have gotten a HALF star. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Feb 7, 2017 |
"The stories are convoluted, difficult to follow and crammed with far too much text. The drawings offer a grotesquely muscle-bound Batman and Superman, not the lovable champions of old.... If this book is meant for kids, I doubt that they will be pleased. If it is aimed at adults, they are not the sort I want to drink with."

Miller, FrankWriter/Pencillerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Costanza, JohnLetterermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Janson, KlausInkermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Varley, LynnColouristmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, AlanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the All Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Dedicated to Will Jungkuntz 1955 - 1985
I've got the home stretch all to myself when the readings stop making sense.
The time has come. You know it in your soul. For I am your soul... you cannot escape me... you are puny, you are small—you are nothing—a hollow shell, a rusty trap that cannot hold me—smoldering, I burn you—burning you, I flare, hot and bright and fierce and beautiful—you cannot stop me—not with wine or vows or the weight of age—you cannot stop me but still you try—still you run—you try to drown me out... but your voice is weak...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 156389341X, Hardcover)

If any comic has a claim to have truly reinvigorated the genre, then The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller--known also for his excellent Sin City series and his superb rendering of the blind superhero Daredevil--is probably the top contender. Batman represented all that was wrong in comics and Miller set himself a tough task taking on the camp crusader and turning this laughable, innocuous children's cartoon character into a hero for our times. The great Alan Moore (V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing, the arguably peerless Watchmen) argued that only someone of Miller's stature could have done this. Batman is a character known well beyond the confines of the comic world (as are his retinue) and so reinventing him, while keeping his limiting core essentials intact, was a huge task.

Miller went far beyond the call of duty. The Dark Knight is a success on every level. Firstly it does keep the core elements of the Batman myth intact, with Robin, Alfred the butler, Commissioner Gordon, and the old roster of villains, present yet brilliantly subverted. Secondly the artwork is fantastic--detailed, sometimes claustrophobic, psychotic. Lastly it's a great story: Gotham City is a hell on earth, street gangs roam but there are no heroes. Decay is ubiquitous. Where is a hero to save Gotham? It is 10 years since the last recorded sighting of the Batman. And things have got worse than ever. Bruce Wayne is close to being a broken man but something is keeping him sane: the need to see change and the belief that he can orchestrate some of that change. Batman is back. The Dark Knight has returned. Awesome. --Mark Thwaite

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:42 -0400)

After ten years away from the public eye, a wave of violence in Gotham City brings Batman back as a vigilante.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,093,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible