Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore

Batman: The Killing Joke

by Alan Moore, Brian Bolland (Illustrator)

Series: Batman

DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore by Alan Moore (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: DC UNIVERSE contains THE KILLING JOKE in its entirety, along with a bunch of other great DC stories by Alan Moore. It's also only about 2 bucks more than the KILLING JOKE hardcover.
    Cover Story: The DC Comics Art of Brian Bolland by Brian Bolland (apokoliptian)
    Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told (DC Comics) by Mike Gold (FFortuna)
    Batman: The Man Who Laughs by Ed Brubaker (FFortuna)
    Batman: Cacophony by Kevin Smith (FFortuna)

English (72)  French (1)  All languages (73)
I'm familiar with the basics of all the Batman storylines and characters, although I haven't read too many comics to say I know details of each. This graphic novel caught my eye on the shelf while I was at work and I decided to flip through it during my break. The art is incredible, as my first impression: The lines are crisp, the details are very intricate, and the colors he chose are so fitting with every mood of every scene. The story itself gives the reader another look at the troubling relationship between the Batman and the Joker, as well as a more official version of the Joker's backstory. Again, I haven't read very many other Batman graphic novels (or comics in general) to give a great comparison, but I was pretty impressed with this story. Highly recommend for Batman/Joker fans. ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |
Here's the story where Barbara Gordon gets crippled by The Joker to drive her father, James Gordon insane. Everything was planned so that he could prove Batman that any man can go mad in a "one bad day". Much of this theme can be seen on the film Batman: The Dark Knight. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
A crazy tale of utmost importance in the Batman universe! The Joker's origin is revealed, to a certain extent. And Commissioner Gordon's daughter suffers mightily. But, as always, Batman toes the line. Though, I didn't understand the last panel. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
Very interesting back story of The Joker. Certainly helps to explain why The Joker became so crazy. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
A classic tale told by the brilliant Alan Moore, this story delves into the origin of the Joker. A must read for any fan. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |

Alan Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bolland, BrianIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sale, TimIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There were these two guys in a lunatic asylum . . .
"Hello. I came to talk."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0930289455, Paperback)

The Killing Joke, one of my favorite Batman stories ever, stirred a bit of controversy because the story involves the Joker brutally, pointlessly shooting Commissioner Gordon's daughter in the spine. This is a no-holds-barred take on a truly insane criminal mind, masterfully written by British comics writer Alan Moore. The art by Brian Bolland is so appealing that his depiction of the Joker became a standard and was imitated by many artists to follow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:53 -0400)

"One bad day. According to the grinning engine of madness and mayhem known as The Joker, that's all that separates the sane from the psychotic. Freed once again from the confines of Arkham Asylum, he's out to prove his deranged point. And he's going to use Gotham's top cop, Commissioner Jim Gordon, and his brilliant and beautiful daughter Barbara to do it. Now Batman must race to stop his archnemesis before his reign of terror claims two of the Dark Knight's closest friends. Can he finally put an end to the cycle of bloodlust and lunacy that links thes two iconic foes before it leads to a fatal conclusion? And as the horrifying origin of the Clown Prince of Crime is finally revealed, will the thin line that separates Batman's nobility and The Joker's insanity snap once and for all? '' -- dust jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,258,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible