Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore

Batman: The Killing Joke (edition 2008)

by Alan Moore

Member:ToxicMasquerade
Title:Batman: The Killing Joke
Authors:Alan Moore
Info:Panini Verlags GmbH (2008), Perfect Paperback, 96 pages
Collections:Your library, Manga-Graphic Novels
Rating:*****

Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore

DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore by Alan Moore (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: DC UNIVERSE contains THE KILLING JOKE in its entirety, along with a bunch of other great DC stories by Alan Moore. It's also only about 2 bucks more than the KILLING JOKE hardcover.
    Cover Story: The DC Comics Art of Brian Bolland by Brian Bolland (apokoliptian)
    Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told (DC Comics) by Mike Gold (FFortuna)
    Batman: The Man Who Laughs by Ed Brubaker (FFortuna)
    Batman: Cacophony by Kevin Smith (FFortuna)

English (56)  French (1)  All languages (57)
Very well done. Great graphics and coloring. I really liked the spotlight effect used in the flashback scenes. Good story and nice dialogue throughout. I personally could have done with less mistreatment of Barbara as I felt uncomfortable with the sexualized violence, but the rest of the graphic novel was well done. ( )
  CareBear36 | Jun 10, 2014 |
I do believe this is my favorite Joker story. My second favorite being the Batman: The Animated Series episode in which the guy owes the Joker a favor.

This is one of those tales that really shows exactly how mad the Joker is. His plan? Drive Commissioner Gordon mad. Why? To prove that any sane man can go crazy, all it takes is one bad day.

Alan Moore's powerhouse writing and Brian Bolland's iconic art make this one of the most memorable, most powerful stories in Batman history. ( )
  regularguy5mb | May 22, 2014 |
I really didn't like [b:Watchmen|472331|Watchmen|Alan Moore|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1238274511s/472331.jpg|4358649] (which I think I may be in the minority on) and didn't see what all the hype surrounding Alan Moore was all about. But my God, this book was jaw-droppingly excellent.

To this day, I have never really experienced a Joker origin story (well, unless you count Tim Burton's 1989 Batman) so this was pretty much all new to me. The fact that Alan Moore hammers it home time and time again that Joker is the way he is because of one bad day is pretty chilling. It also coincides with Heath Ledger's Joker and his big speech at the end of The Dark Knight - "Madness, as you know, is just like gravity. All it takes is a little... push".

Its hard to stretch this into a long review, the book itself is only 46 pages. Meaning, I can only go on about how much I love it for so long. If anything, it has one of the coolest endings I've seen in a Batman book - so, that alone is pretty awesome.

To quote Tim Sale with the graphic novel's introduction, "How cool is this!?" ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
The concept and story were really intriguing but the art ruined it. ( )
  Zabeth | Dec 9, 2013 |
Alan Moore is a genius when it comes to the graphic novel medium. I am hard-pressed to think of anyone who does it better. Batman has had his moments but both he and Joker shine in this story. Not only do they shine, they even seem plausible as real people, which rarely happens (for me anyway) in most Batman comics. Must read. ( )
  davadog13 | Nov 21, 2013 |

Alan Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bolland, BrianIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
There were these two guys in a lunatic asylum . . .
"Hello. I came to talk."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0930289455, Paperback)

The Killing Joke, one of my favorite Batman stories ever, stirred a bit of controversy because the story involves the Joker brutally, pointlessly shooting Commissioner Gordon's daughter in the spine. This is a no-holds-barred take on a truly insane criminal mind, masterfully written by British comics writer Alan Moore. The art by Brian Bolland is so appealing that his depiction of the Joker became a standard and was imitated by many artists to follow.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:55 -0400)

"One bad day. According to the grinning engine of madness and mayhem known as The Joker, that's all that separates the sane from the psychotic. Freed once again from the confines of Arkham Asylum, he's out to prove his deranged point. And he's going to use Gotham's top cop, Commissioner Jim Gordon, and his brilliant and beautiful daughter Barbara to do it. Now Batman must race to stop his archnemesis before his reign of terror claims two of the Dark Knight's closest friends. Can he finally put an end to the cycle of bloodlust and lunacy that links thes two iconic foes before it leads to a fatal conclusion? And as the horrifying origin of the Clown Prince of Crime is finally revealed, will the thin line that separates Batman's nobility and The Joker's insanity snap once and for all? '' -- dust jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,697,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible