Fancy Nancy: The Dazzling Book Report (I Can…

Fancy Nancy: The Dazzling Book Report (I Can Read Book 1) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Jane O'Connor, Robin Preiss Glasser (Illustrator)

Member:dstroy
Title:Fancy Nancy: The Dazzling Book Report (I Can Read Book 1)
Authors:Jane O'Connor
Other authors:Robin Preiss Glasser (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2009), Paperback, 32 pages

Fancy Nancy: The Dazzling Book Report by Jane O'Connor (2009)

Energetic illustrations are paired with new vocabulary words in this easy to read transitional book for young readers. Fancy Nancy experiences a bout of writers block as she writes her first book report and must get creative to finish her project.
  emmalune | Mar 13, 2014 |
The easy readers I'm reviewing today fall into another category; picture book to easy reader. Both follow up on popular and well-loved picture books.

Fancy Nancy is a hugely popular series, encompassing picture books, easy readers, and a variety of "novelty" books (I recommend the Fancy Nancy Tea Parties for libraries - cover the detachable cards with clear contact and it circs like crazy with no damages!)

Although in general I am somewhat blah about fancy/princesss/pink books, I do really like Fancy Nancy. I love her elaborate words and the way she enjoys ordinary things. I also love how ordinary her family is; fancy does not equal wealthy! Also, I appreciate the way Fancy Nancy's parents let her express herself in her own inimitable style. I hadn't thought about this until someone (I don't remember who) at my library commented on how weird/cool/fun it was that her parents let her wear what she wanted. Blink. It's times like these I appreciate my own childhood. Thanks Mom.

So, how does Fancy Nancy translate from picture book to easy reader? Fantastically! Most of the Fancy Nancy easy readers deal with the world outside home, specifically school. Sometimes being fancy is wonderful; but sometimes it gets in the way, as in this story. Fancy Nancy is delighted about doing a book report; she is an excellent reader and she is going to have the most beautiful binder in the whole class. Unfortunately, she gets carried away with decoration and doesn't get to the actual report part. What will she do when she has to present her report? Will her teacher, Mrs. Glass, understand?

The interior illustrations are drawn by Ted Enik, but he has carefully imitated Robin Preiss Glasser's curly and exuberant style. And come on, who doesn't want that marvelous book chair on the cover?

Verdict: Kids who loved Fancy Nancy and are read to read on their own will enjoy this series, as will emerging readers who like realistic stories about kids and school.

ISBN: 978-0061703690; Published March 2009 by HarperCollins; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Dec 31, 2011 |
Little Kid Reaction: Although this was too easy for our second grader, she loves Nancy and always likes to find out what she's up to. This one prompted her to pull out some of her other Fancy Nancy favorites.

Big Kid Reaction: This is a cute story and a good lesson. It will be a nice one to pull out again when its time to do book reports and similar projects. Nancy spent so much time on the fun part that she didn't get the important stuff done.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | May 12, 2011 |
This book features Fancy Nancy and her experience writing her first book report. Nancy gets so wrapped up in making the cover of her book report, an elaborate portrait of Sacajawea, that her book report ends up being only two sentences. She feels embarrassed when other students give lengthy reports on their books. Luckily Nancy's teacher, Ms. Glass, understands and lets Nancy orally share about her book. This story is an easy reader with eight "fancy" new words spread throughout. A list of the words and their definitions can be found at the end of the book. This book teaches children a good lesson about the importance of focusing on the assignment, not the fluff that is not required. Nancy was lucky that her teacher understood, but not all teachers are so lenient. I am a big fan of "Fancy Nancy" books and always enjoy how she teaches us new vocabulary words throughout the story. The illustrations are bright and cheerful and thoroughly illustrate the events of the story. ( )
  LisaBohman | Apr 19, 2011 |
Fancy Nancy is a excellent book for beginning readers. Nancy uses bigger words but she tells the meaning of the words in the following sentence after each word. Younger girls would really enjoy reading this book. It is about when Nancy's class goes to the Library and she pick out a biography for her book report. Nancy spends way to much time decorating the cover of her book and she does not leave any time to put words into her report. The next day at school, Nancy has to present her report. How will it turn out for her? Read and find out. ( )
  HeatherGabrich | Nov 30, 2010 |
For Owen Anastas, a dazzling reader
--J.O'C.

For my dazzling friend Sue Littman
--R.P.G.

For P.S. who saw the potential joy contained in a rainbow pack of construction paper
--T.E.
Monday is my favorite day.

Nancy is determined to make the cover of her very first book report as fancy as she can, but she spends so much time on it that she has no time to write about the book.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,117,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible