Rumor Has It: In a town this small, a secret…

Rumor Has It: In a town this small, a secret is hard to keep (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Jill Mansell

Member:Twink
Title:Rumor Has It: In a town this small, a secret is hard to keep
Authors:Jill Mansell
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2010), Paperback, 416 pages

Rumour Has It by Jill Mansell (2009)

Its a little slow in the middle but the writing is much better than most chick lit and I truly enjoyed listening to this story. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
I would give this 3.5 stars if I could: I enjoyed it, it kept me interested, and I empathized with the characters. But, I didn't quite see the main character moving from fancying the guy to being deeply in love with him, and I'm not sure at what point he really fell for her, either. If anything, the excellent cast of secondary characters stole the show just a little.

Also, after approximately half the book being very light-hearted, a seriously terrible thing happened to one character. This did change the mood abruptly. I don't have a problem with weighty issues in books like this, but it felt a bit like finding a shark in a swimming pool - nothing had signalled (to me) that we were getting into dangerous waters.

Nonetheless, if I could write like this, I'd be proud. Look forward to reading more by this author. ( )
1 vote paulinewiles | Jan 26, 2015 |
I loved Tilly in this story. She was funny and genuine and her storyline was the most fun. People get together for a lot of different reasons, but here Ms. Mansell looks at genuine love versus the counterfeits. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Sep 9, 2014 |
very light reading--disillusioned londoner moves to the english countryside and finds a new life among the quirky folk of a small town.
  mochap | Jan 1, 2011 |
Jill Mansell’s Rumor Has It departs somewhat from the romantic comedies she’s written previously in that it tackles tough issues of acceptance, compassion, and tragedy. Mansell has a writing style that will make readers stand up and pay attention as well as fall of their chairs in laughter.

“Normally she could shave her legs without incident in two minutes flat, but tonight — OK, probably because she’d given herself half a dozen razor cuts and the shower had ended up looking like the one in Psycho. Then, having stubbed her tow against the chest of drawers in the bedroom, she’d managed to drop the hairdryer on her other foot.” (page 67 of ARC)

“‘Bloody hell,’ complained Max, just home from a meeting with a client in Bristol. ‘You’d think I was threatening you with a night in a torture chamber having your ribs cracked without anesthetic.’” (page 133 of ARC)

Tilly Cole leaves London for Roxborough when her live-in boyfriend abandons their apartment when she’s at work. She becomes a “Girl Friday” for a suburban family led by an interior designer, Max Dineen. She’s thrilled to have an out and to be near her friend Erin.

To read more of this review, go here: http://savvyverseandwit.com/2010/05/rumor-has-it-by-jill-mansell.html ( )
  sagustocox | May 31, 2010 |
To Dad, with love.
How weird that you could push open your front door and know in an instant that something was wrong.

Londoner Tilly Cole discovers the perils of smalltown life in Mansell's perfectly executed exemplar of fluff. After her live-in boyfriend does a runner, Tilly ditches London for Roxborough and a job as assistant to interior designer Max Dineen. Much of the town's gossip centers on handsome ladies' man Jack Lucas, and despite his almost irresistible charm, Tilly resolves not to be the latest notch on his bedpost. Meanwhile, gossip threatens to wreck Tilly's friend Erin when she's targeted by a jealous former friend and gets Max's ex-wife, Hollywood soap-opera star Kaye Dineen, hounded back to England. At the center, Tilly and Jack get into tangles, literally and figuratively, as they bounce toward their happy ending.

Newly single, Tilly impulsively accepts a job in a small town. She soon finds herself in a hotbed of gossip, intrigue, and rampant rivalry for Jack, the town's most desirable bachelor. She decides to do the sensible thing, and avoid him at all costs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,790,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible