Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Anything But Typical (2009)

by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Rules by Cynthia Lord (foggidawn)
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Justin Case: School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters by Rachel Vail (kaledrina)
    The Thing About Georgie by Lisa Graff (kaledrina)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron (meggyweg)

It was not a page turner, yet I read it in 2 days. I loved the family relationships. Seems so many books where there is a "special" child, the parents have marital problems. It is the 3rd book I have read lately about a child with aspberger's or autism and the points of view are totally different but much the same. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Great book narrated by a boy with autism as he tries to navigate an online relationship via a writing site. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Dec 26, 2016 |
This book was very difficult to put down. Baskin's brings her readers into the mind of an autistic boy in a wonderful way. I would definitely suggest this book to be read for a class or group reading project for the older students (5/6th grade). ( )
  SydnieM | Nov 7, 2016 |
Too sad, too much emphasis on Jason's challenges and not enough on his talents and accomplishments. I wonder if the author read memoirs like [b:Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant|74812|Born on a Blue Day Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant|Daniel Tammet|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170864661s/74812.jpg|1461054] and [b:Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's|454856|Look Me in the Eye My Life with Asperger's|John Elder Robison|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1294932746s/454856.jpg|2119898]. But then again, each person diagnosed with Asperger's or Autism is, first of all, a person - an individual, unique, with their own perspective, their own family, their own core personality traits - apart from their diagnosis.

And I have to say I had trouble with the mom. She's an awfully slow learner. But if Jason can forgive her then I guess I can too. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Not really my cup of tea but I think helpful for kids to understand what it is like to be a lot different. Although the writing was crisp and I felt like I got to know the autistic boy Jason, the story really went nowhere for me. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |

Nora Raleigh Baskinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bromley, LizzyCover and book designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hancock, James GulliverCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Curriculum Connection:  AASL Std. 4 Pursue personal and aesthetic growth.

4.1.3 Respond to literature and creative expressions of ideas in various formats and genres.

Personal Connection:  to help students understand how autistic children think and react.

Jason, a twelve-year-old autistic boy who wants to become a writer, relates what his life is like as he tries to make sense of his world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,779,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible