Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Anything But Typical (2009)

by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Rules by Cynthia Lord (foggidawn)
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Justin Case: School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters by Rachel Vail (kaledrina)
    The Thing About Georgie by Lisa Graff (kaledrina)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron (meggyweg)

Loved this book, and recently book this for my young nephew who was recently put on the autistic spectrum and having a IEP in development for next years school year. I love the way Baskin respectfully writes about a young boy's journey through social interactions during an age that is already difficult to navigate. I hope my nephew likes the read as much as I did! ( )
  RuthFinnigan | Jun 8, 2015 |
Too sad, too much emphasis on Jason's challenges and not enough on his talents and accomplishments. I wonder if the author read memoirs like [b:Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant|74812|Born on a Blue Day Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant|Daniel Tammet|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170864661s/74812.jpg|1461054] and [b:Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's|454856|Look Me in the Eye My Life with Asperger's|John Elder Robison|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1294932746s/454856.jpg|2119898]. But then again, each person diagnosed with Asperger's or Autism is, first of all, a person - an individual, unique, with their own perspective, their own family, their own core personality traits - apart from their diagnosis.

And I have to say I had trouble with the mom. She's an awfully slow learner. But if Jason can forgive her then I guess I can too. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Wonderful story about a boy who happens to be autistic. Such a beutifully complex character, he's just like us...he just sees the world in a different way. ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
Anything But Typical is about a 12 year-old boy named Jason. Jason has autism. He starts middle school without a one-on-one aide, which leads to all kinds of difficult situations at school with teachers who don’t understand him and being bullied by other students. However, Jason makes it through everything just as long as he can keep writing and posting stories online. One of his followers, the enigmatic ”Phoenixbird”, is Jason’s only friend. They share stories, feedback, criticism, and also talk to each other about their real lives. Jason’s struggles with school, friendships, girls, family, and everyday life are pretty realistic portrayals of what the world is like for a boy with autism. The narrative is authentic and easy to read, and it really allows the reader to get inside Jason’s head. I would recommend Anything But Typical to any middle school reader, and high schoolers looking for a fiction book about autism. ( )
  ErlangerFactionless | Apr 5, 2014 |

Nora Raleigh Baskinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bromley, LizzyCover and book designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hancock, James GulliverCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Most people like to talk in their own language.

Curriculum Connection:  AASL Std. 4 Pursue personal and aesthetic growth.

4.1.3 Respond to literature and creative expressions of ideas in various formats and genres.

Personal Connection:  to help students understand how autistic children think and react.

Jason, a twelve-year-old autistic boy who wants to become a writer, relates what his life is like as he tries to make sense of his world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,009,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible