Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Anything But Typical (2009)

by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Rules by Cynthia Lord (foggidawn)
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Justin Case: School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters by Rachel Vail (kaledrina)
    The Thing About Georgie by Lisa Graff (kaledrina)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron (meggyweg)

I enjoyed reading this book for many different reasons. I enjoyed this book because the author wrote in a way a 12 year old autistic boy would write. The author included dialogue and sentence structure the way a child would speak. For example, “I tell Aaron Miller I have a girlfriend.” Most children would understand this book was taken from a child who had Autism. I also liked the plot because the author related it towards children’s lives. For example, the author used a scenario that Jason wanted to meet a girl that he liked, however he was nervous that she would not like him because of his disability. Many children are scared of what people will think of them. This book highlighted a story that showed about a character who was going through the same challenges. This Contemporary Realistic Fiction book was realistic to children. This book was enjoyable to read because the characters changed as the story was told providing hope for the readers. The big idea or message of this story was to accept who you are no matter how different. Many children feel “different” compared to others, however children should learn that everyone is different in their own way.
  katiebanaszak | Nov 3, 2015 |
This story was one that has probably become one of my favorite books. I think that it really taught me a lot about what a child with autism feels, because I have learned a lot about children with autism but this book has taught me so much more. I would recommend this book to almost everyone.
  ninaberger | Sep 9, 2015 |
this story was about an autistic boy and his point of view. he loves to write on this online website to get away from the people that are mean to him. it was an eye opening book to see how he felt through school and other life experiences. I would be interested in reading other stories and points of views with kids with other disabilities.
  taylortrost | Sep 8, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book and felt that it would be a good read for students individually. It may single out students with disabilities if read aloud to the entire class, but it is very relatable to students who may feel alone in their struggle. It is definitely one to keep in mind when teaching students with disabilities. ( )
  carolinebartlett | Sep 1, 2015 |
Loved this book, and recently book this for my young nephew who was recently put on the autistic spectrum and having a IEP in development for next years school year. I love the way Baskin respectfully writes about a young boy's journey through social interactions during an age that is already difficult to navigate. I hope my nephew likes the read as much as I did! ( )
  RuthFinnigan | Jun 8, 2015 |

Nora Raleigh Baskinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bromley, LizzyCover and book designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hancock, James GulliverCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Curriculum Connection:  AASL Std. 4 Pursue personal and aesthetic growth.

4.1.3 Respond to literature and creative expressions of ideas in various formats and genres.

Personal Connection:  to help students understand how autistic children think and react.

Jason, a twelve-year-old autistic boy who wants to become a writer, relates what his life is like as he tries to make sense of his world.

14 wanted3 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,887,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible