Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Anything But Typical (2009)

by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Rules by Cynthia Lord (foggidawn)
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Justin Case: School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters by Rachel Vail (kaledrina)
    The Thing About Georgie by Lisa Graff (kaledrina)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron (meggyweg)

Not really my cup of tea but I think helpful for kids to understand what it is like to be a lot different. Although the writing was crisp and I felt like I got to know the autistic boy Jason, the story really went nowhere for me. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Because I loved Francisco Stork’s "Marcelo in the Real World," I was really eager to get my hands on this book. Marcelo’s story was beautiful. It's the tale of a high-functioning autistic young man trying to find his place in the world. His insights and perspective were truly unique and a pleasure to read. In contrast, Jason seemed to be an over-indulged brat whose permissive parents had all but ruined him. I pitied him, but spent most of the book wanting to vigorously shake his parents and shout, "Wake up and put your feet down! Don't put up with this nonsense! Not in Jason or Jeremy!" Dennis Leary's right, this book is a great example of "Why We Suck." ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
Narrated by Tom Parks. I think I need to read the print edition. The audio ended so abruptly for me. But for young readers not familiar with autism, this book will help them see some of the issues and challenges that people with autism face daily. (Sensory overload, not recognizing faces, adherence to a routine, etc.)

Jason knows he's different from other kids at school and he knows that no matter what his parents say, his life will not have the big future they want so much for him. His refuge is his writing and the Storyboard website where he posts his stories. There he meets Rebecca and as his hopes soar for a new friend (maybe girlfriend?), he also dreads what she will think about him, especially when it turns out they are both attending the Storyboard conference.

9/19/09 Read the print version. The ending is still abrupt for me but to visually see the breaks in text and the homophonic words Jason switches between made the story more cohesive than in the audio version. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Jason Blake is a child with special needs, his autism makes suffer by others. his teacher, his parents and his clics want him to be normal. Jason refuges him self writing in the computer. He meets Phoenix bird, she likes his writing style. She starts appreciating the way e is. There is a conference comino up they have to meet each other. ( )
  gabbond | Dec 10, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this book for many different reasons. I enjoyed this book because the author wrote in a way a 12 year old autistic boy would write. The author included dialogue and sentence structure the way a child would speak. For example, “I tell Aaron Miller I have a girlfriend.” Most children would understand this book was taken from a child who had Autism. I also liked the plot because the author related it towards children’s lives. For example, the author used a scenario that Jason wanted to meet a girl that he liked, however he was nervous that she would not like him because of his disability. Many children are scared of what people will think of them. This book highlighted a story that showed about a character who was going through the same challenges. This Contemporary Realistic Fiction book was realistic to children. This book was enjoyable to read because the characters changed as the story was told providing hope for the readers. The big idea or message of this story was to accept who you are no matter how different. Many children feel “different” compared to others, however children should learn that everyone is different in their own way.
  katiebanaszak | Nov 3, 2015 |

Nora Raleigh Baskinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bromley, LizzyCover and book designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hancock, James GulliverCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Curriculum Connection:  AASL Std. 4 Pursue personal and aesthetic growth.

4.1.3 Respond to literature and creative expressions of ideas in various formats and genres.

Personal Connection:  to help students understand how autistic children think and react.

Jason, a twelve-year-old autistic boy who wants to become a writer, relates what his life is like as he tries to make sense of his world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible