Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Anything But Typical (2009)

by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Recently added byprivate library, davidgn, ninaberger, Aliceshah, AnthonyDeLeon
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (foggidawn)
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Justin Case: School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters by Rachel Vail (kaledrina)
    The Thing About Georgie by Lisa Graff (kaledrina)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron (meggyweg)

This is the story of a boy who is autistic and the entire story is told through his perspective. It is hard for him to communicate with others how he is feeling or what he wants to say and his difficulties are expressed during the book.
  ninaberger | Sep 9, 2015 |
this story was about an autistic boy and his point of view. he loves to write on this online website to get away from the people that are mean to him. it was an eye opening book to see how he felt through school and other life experiences. I would be interested in reading other stories and points of views with kids with other disabilities.
  taylortrost | Sep 8, 2015 |
Anything But Typical follows a twelve-year-old boy with autism. The Book is a great resource to really understand what a child with autism goes through on a day to day basis. Knowing that the future classroom will have kids with autism, we as teachers need to take the time and understand where our kids are coming from. This book is a wonderful tool for that insight, not only for the teacher but as well for parents. This is a short novel with some challenging words, so it needs to be read by students with better understanding of vocabulary words and not really meant for the younger groups(K-3). Anything but Typical brings awareness to autism, so reading this out aloud or with a group might hinder the main purpose since it might pick on someone that has autism. Great Read! Recommended to all teachers!! ( )
  AnthonyDeLeon | Sep 3, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book and felt that it would be a good read for students individually. It may single out students with disabilities if read aloud to the entire class, but it is very relatable to students who may feel alone in their struggle. It is definitely one to keep in mind when teaching students with disabilities. ( )
  carolinebartlett | Sep 1, 2015 |
Loved this book, and recently book this for my young nephew who was recently put on the autistic spectrum and having a IEP in development for next years school year. I love the way Baskin respectfully writes about a young boy's journey through social interactions during an age that is already difficult to navigate. I hope my nephew likes the read as much as I did! ( )
  RuthFinnigan | Jun 8, 2015 |

Nora Raleigh Baskinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bromley, LizzyCover and book designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hancock, James GulliverCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Curriculum Connection:  AASL Std. 4 Pursue personal and aesthetic growth.

4.1.3 Respond to literature and creative expressions of ideas in various formats and genres.

Personal Connection:  to help students understand how autistic children think and react.

Jason, a twelve-year-old autistic boy who wants to become a writer, relates what his life is like as he tries to make sense of his world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,721,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible