Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Anything But Typical (2009)

by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Rules by Cynthia Lord (foggidawn)
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Justin Case: School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters by Rachel Vail (kaledrina)
    The Thing About Georgie by Lisa Graff (kaledrina)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron (meggyweg)

Narrated by Tom Parks. I think I need to read the print edition. The audio ended so abruptly for me. But for young readers not familiar with autism, this book will help them see some of the issues and challenges that people with autism face daily. (Sensory overload, not recognizing faces, adherence to a routine, etc.)

Jason knows he's different from other kids at school and he knows that no matter what his parents say, his life will not have the big future they want so much for him. His refuge is his writing and the Storyboard website where he posts his stories. There he meets Rebecca and as his hopes soar for a new friend (maybe girlfriend?), he also dreads what she will think about him, especially when it turns out they are both attending the Storyboard conference.

9/19/09 Read the print version. The ending is still abrupt for me but to visually see the breaks in text and the homophonic words Jason switches between made the story more cohesive than in the audio version. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Jason Blake is a child with special needs, his autism makes suffer by others. his teacher, his parents and his clics want him to be normal. Jason refuges him self writing in the computer. He meets Phoenix bird, she likes his writing style. She starts appreciating the way e is. There is a conference comino up they have to meet each other. ( )
  gabbond | Dec 10, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this book for many different reasons. I enjoyed this book because the author wrote in a way a 12 year old autistic boy would write. The author included dialogue and sentence structure the way a child would speak. For example, “I tell Aaron Miller I have a girlfriend.” Most children would understand this book was taken from a child who had Autism. I also liked the plot because the author related it towards children’s lives. For example, the author used a scenario that Jason wanted to meet a girl that he liked, however he was nervous that she would not like him because of his disability. Many children are scared of what people will think of them. This book highlighted a story that showed about a character who was going through the same challenges. This Contemporary Realistic Fiction book was realistic to children. This book was enjoyable to read because the characters changed as the story was told providing hope for the readers. The big idea or message of this story was to accept who you are no matter how different. Many children feel “different” compared to others, however children should learn that everyone is different in their own way.
  katiebanaszak | Nov 3, 2015 |
This story was one that has probably become one of my favorite books. I think that it really taught me a lot about what a child with autism feels, because I have learned a lot about children with autism but this book has taught me so much more. I would recommend this book to almost everyone.
  ninaberger | Sep 9, 2015 |
this story was about an autistic boy and his point of view. he loves to write on this online website to get away from the people that are mean to him. it was an eye opening book to see how he felt through school and other life experiences. I would be interested in reading other stories and points of views with kids with other disabilities.
  taylortrost | Sep 8, 2015 |

Nora Raleigh Baskinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bromley, LizzyCover and book designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hancock, James GulliverCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Curriculum Connection:  AASL Std. 4 Pursue personal and aesthetic growth.

4.1.3 Respond to literature and creative expressions of ideas in various formats and genres.

Personal Connection:  to help students understand how autistic children think and react.

Jason, a twelve-year-old autistic boy who wants to become a writer, relates what his life is like as he tries to make sense of his world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,993,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible