Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Handling the Undead (original 2005; edition 2010)

by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Member:Haiku911
Title:Handling the Undead
Authors:John Ajvide Lindqvist
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 384 pages

Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2005)

World War Z by Max Brooks (sampe)
    sampe: Samma tema, och liknande perspektiv (men i större skala). Hur skulle stater och institutioner hantera att döda vaknar upp igen.
    The Returned by Jason Mott (michellebarton)
    michellebarton: Both stories about loved ones returned from the dead and the complicated relationships involved.
    Fjärilen från Tibet by C. J. Håkansson (Kolbkarlsson)
    Kolbkarlsson: Inte helt hundraprocentigt, men båda böckerna har ett förhållande till döden och kroppen som gör det roligt att ställa böckerna brevid varandra. Trots att Håkansson är mer osentimental, så är också skräcken rotad i den svenska vardagen.
    Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2810michael)
    War with the Newts by Karel Čapek (andejons)
    andejons: Liknande tema: mänskligheten stöter på intelligenta salamandrar, till en början utan möjlighet att föra egen talan, och hur dessa kommer att utnyttjas.
    The Rapture by Liz Jensen (bibliobeck)
    bibliobeck: Although they are very different books, similarities struck me throughout - the involvement of religion, signs of the end of days and preparing for armageddon.

English (40)  Swedish (4)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (47)
A different take on the zombie novel! About 2000 people, who have died recently, have mysteriously come back to life! They are Sweden's "unliving"! And the author treats this story with great emotion and tenderness! I could totally see myself doing what the grandfather does, after the initial revulsion to the state of the unliving. Poor guy. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Mar 3, 2014 |
A strange occurrence causes the corpses of those who recently died in Stockholm (this author is Swedish) to come back to life, so to speak. I found this book to be a refreshing (if it is possible to use this adjective given the subject) take on the current popularity of zombie fiction. The author manages to create the horror of this genre yet humanizes the story at the same time by emphasizing the relationships of the characters affected. Maybe he has started a whole new genre - lovely zombie fiction? ( )
  michellebarton | Aug 1, 2013 |
Rating: 4 of 5

1/17/2012: Whoa! I really liked this one. Review to come after I digest the story a bit. ( )
  flying_monkeys | Apr 14, 2013 |
"Handling The Undead" is a book about exactly that. It is not a traditional horror book (especially as is usually attached to zombies) by any stretch with only one really creepy scene to speak of and a few disturbing ones sprinkled in. Rather the horror lies in the examination of grief, loss, and the disintegration of family ties. In short, how would you "handle" if your loved ones came back to life? How would the government "handle" an influx of unliving? And how do the unliving "handle" being back?

Not a bad book, but not what I was expecting or wanting to read when I picked it up. As with Let The Right One In, I found the translation left the language a little flat for me. Liked it. Didn't love it. I would recommend it to people who like books that examine social, political and religious climate and consequence, but I doubt I will ever read it again. ( )
  erincathryn | Mar 31, 2013 |
VOTO: 9Dopo Lasciami Entrare, dove protagonista era un vampiro, Lindqvist sforna questo altrettanto meraviglioso romanzo che, se si può dire, è più "soprannaturale" del primo... Qua i protagonisti non sono zombie assetati di sangue e cervelli ma "morti viventi" (definizione politically-correct adottata da autorità e media) confusi e (quasi tutti) simili a "gusci vuoti", che non parlano e si muovono a malapena. Risvegliati da un "blackout al contrario" vengono prima ricoverati in ospedali e simili e poi internati in un quartiere della capitale.
Ci vengono raccontate le storie parallele di tre famiglie coinvolte nel casino, ognuna delle quali vive il dramma in maniera differente.
Mano a mano che si prosegue spuntano fuori anche visioni miracolose con annesse missioni da assegnare e visioni forse altrettanto miracolose che risolvono la situazione. Libro bellissimo! Lindqvist, forse più qua che in Lasciami Entrare, dà molto spazio a ragionamenti e pensieri.
E anche la fine, tutto sommato è bella! ( )
  Malla-kun | Sep 22, 2012 |

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

Solidarity is always directed at 'one of us' and 'us' cannot refer to everyone....For 'we' assumes someone who can be excluded, someone who belongs to others, and these others cannot be animals or machines, but people. Sven-Eric Liedman_To See Oneself in Others

All that we hope is, when we go Our skin and our blood and our bones Dont get in your way, making you ill The Way they did when we lived. Morrissey_There's a place in hell for me and my friends.
To Fritiof. Mah-fjou!
'Salud, Comandante.'

A power surge and heatwave in Stockholm leads to odd happenings, first signposted by all electrical items remaining switched on despite the power buttons being turned off. Then come headaches and feelings of illness and unease. Nothing too strange until the recently deceased start coming back to life and those around them, mostly medical and armed forces personel, discover that when the groups of the 'reliving' are large enough it is posible for the people near them to read minds. Journalist Gustav Mahler is among those trying to discover just what is happening.

Something very peculiar is happening in Stockholm. There's a heatwave on and people cannot turn their lights out or switch their appliances off. Then the terrible news breaks. In the city morgue, the dead are waking up .... What do they want? What everybody wants: to come home.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,546,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible