Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Handling the Undead (original 2005; edition 2010)

by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Member:Haiku911
Title:Handling the Undead
Authors:John Ajvide Lindqvist
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 384 pages

Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2005)

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (sampe)
    sampe: Samma tema, och liknande perspektiv (men i större skala). Hur skulle stater och institutioner hantera att döda vaknar upp igen.
    The Returned by Jason Mott (michellebarton)
    michellebarton: Both stories about loved ones returned from the dead and the complicated relationships involved.
    Fjärilen från Tibet by C. J. Håkansson (Kolbkarlsson)
    Kolbkarlsson: Inte helt hundraprocentigt, men båda böckerna har ett förhållande till döden och kroppen som gör det roligt att ställa böckerna brevid varandra. Trots att Håkansson är mer osentimental, så är också skräcken rotad i den svenska vardagen.
    Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2810michael)
    War with the Newts by Karel Čapek (andejons)
    andejons: Liknande tema: mänskligheten stöter på intelligenta salamandrar, till en början utan möjlighet att föra egen talan, och hur dessa kommer att utnyttjas.
    The Rapture by Liz Jensen (bibliobeck)
    bibliobeck: Although they are very different books, similarities struck me throughout - the involvement of religion, signs of the end of days and preparing for armageddon.

English (47)  Swedish (4)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  English (54)
For as long as I can remember I have enjoyed reading thrillers, I love horror from time to time, I have a solid stomach and things do not easily get too bloody or creepy with me. And, as an extra bonus, this is a Nordic writer :-)

Despite all that I didn't get past page 111 in this book. Zombies. Huh! They are really not my thing. Not in movies and, as it seems, neither in books.
Dragons, monsters of any kind, mythological creatures, I swallow lits and do enjoy, but really no zombies.
The living characters are okay, but the zombie part is so big, that I can't look past it any more. Too bad!
  BoekenTrol71 | Dec 2, 2016 |
I enjoyed this! A word of caution: These are not your traditional bloodthirsty zombies, though I find them equally as disturbing. If you're looking for strict gore and horror look elsewhere. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
Before you actually dive into this book expecting mad rabid zombies trying to get into your house, while the characters try to survive and scrounge whatever resources they can to make it out into a world turned upside down, you’re not going to find it here. Yes it was disappointing. Is it worth a try? Maybe...maybe not.

In this case, besides the fact that the dead have risen. They’re shells of their former self. Not rabid things we’re so used to seeing. They feed and react to the living’s feelings. (For example if you react with disgust, or hatred, they’ll lash out). Seems interesting. Certainly a different approach. Zombie purists out there probably wouldn’t give this book a second glance. I like trying out different things (just like food!) as there are times when you do come across a gem. Do I consider this one a gem? Not really.

Although it deals with several issues; such as the loss and acceptance of a loved one, or how far would someone go to protect the love one had for someone who was deceased. So in a sense, it’s a book that does make you think (well that mixed with zombies? Sacrilege!) so if you want something for the action fast paced plot, you’re not going to find it here. You want something to slowly digest (har!), read on character development and thinking, and for something to think about then maybe, just maybe this is for you.

My view on this book, take it or leave it. I found it all right. Not the best read, certainly but worth a try just to have a book that actually makes you think about what would really happen in scenarios such as this. Would you sacrifice everything? Or curl up and cry on the floor as the world burns? It’s worth to mull over. Those that want something with raging undead at your doorstep, skip this and go to the next one. ( )
1 vote sensitivemuse | Jun 26, 2016 |
Worst book I've read this year. The characters felt flat, the ending felt cobbled-together and the explanation for having to handle the undead in the first place was just goofy. Maybe this was more impressive in its original language or something. ( )
  grammarchick | May 31, 2016 |
  grammarchick | Jan 5, 2016 |
Algo muy extraño está ocurriendo en la capital de Suecia: en medio de una inusual ola de calor, la gente se da cuenta de que no puede apagar la luz ni los aparatos eléctricos. De repente, una noticia sacude a la nación: en la morgue los muertos están resucitando. ¿Qué es lo que quieren? Lógicamente, volver a casa...
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Solidarity is always directed at 'one of us' and 'us' cannot refer to everyone....For 'we' assumes someone who can be excluded, someone who belongs to others, and these others cannot be animals or machines, but people. Sven-Eric Liedman_To See Oneself in Others
All that we hope is, when we go Our skin and our blood and our bones Dont get in your way, making you ill The Way they did when we lived. Morrissey_There's a place in hell for me and my friends.
To Fritiof. Mah-fjou!
'Salud, Comandante.'

A power surge and heatwave in Stockholm leads to odd happenings, first signposted by all electrical items remaining switched on despite the power buttons being turned off. Then come headaches and feelings of illness and unease. Nothing too strange until the recently deceased start coming back to life and those around them, mostly medical and armed forces personel, discover that when the groups of the 'reliving' are large enough it is posible for the people near them to read minds. Journalist Gustav Mahler is among those trying to discover just what is happening.

Something very peculiar is happening in Stockholm. There's a heatwave on and people cannot turn their lights out or switch their appliances off. Then the terrible news breaks. In the city morgue, the dead are waking up .... What do they want? What everybody wants: to come home.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,656,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible