Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Handling the Undead (original 2005; edition 2010)

by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Member:Haiku911
Title:Handling the Undead
Authors:John Ajvide Lindqvist
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 384 pages

Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2005)

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (sampe)
    sampe: Samma tema, och liknande perspektiv (men i större skala). Hur skulle stater och institutioner hantera att döda vaknar upp igen.
    The Returned by Jason Mott (michellebarton)
    michellebarton: Both stories about loved ones returned from the dead and the complicated relationships involved.
    Fjärilen från Tibet by C. J. Håkansson (Kolbkarlsson)
    Kolbkarlsson: Inte helt hundraprocentigt, men båda böckerna har ett förhållande till döden och kroppen som gör det roligt att ställa böckerna brevid varandra. Trots att Håkansson är mer osentimental, så är också skräcken rotad i den svenska vardagen.
    Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2810michael)
    War with the Newts by Karel Čapek (andejons)
    andejons: Liknande tema: mänskligheten stöter på intelligenta salamandrar, till en början utan möjlighet att föra egen talan, och hur dessa kommer att utnyttjas.
    The Rapture by Liz Jensen (bibliobeck)
    bibliobeck: Although they are very different books, similarities struck me throughout - the involvement of religion, signs of the end of days and preparing for armageddon.

English (42)  Swedish (4)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (49)
I did not find this book very scary and I struggled to get through to the end. I was more disappointed than I normally would be because of the great reviews. ( )
  antrat1965 | Jun 28, 2015 |
One unusually warm night in Stockholm, Sweden, something very strange happens. Everyone in the city experiences a terrible headache. Electrical appliances refuse to turn off, even when they're unplugged. And the recent dead begin to rise...

It sounds like a bog-standard setup for a zombie story, but what John Ajvide Lindqvist gives us is something very different: a deconstruction of the zombie genre, or a subversion of it, or maybe just a very different take. Because these zombies do not rise up and immediately begin hungering for human flesh. They are merely your loved ones, dead and rotting, not what they were, but not entirely gone, either. And, ultimately, it's a novel that's more concerned with the people that once belonged in those shuffling corpses than in the bodies themselves.

It is kind of an odd book. If you go into it looking for plot, or even for big drama, you might well be disappointed. Ditto if you're hoping for simple, logical, scientific explanations for everything in the end. And the writing can feel a little awkward, in a hard-to-pin-down way that I'm inclined to blame on the translation. But there are lots of fascinating subtleties to it, things that invite you to contemplate the mysteries of life and death and to take a new look at a horror trope that's become so familiar that we no longer bother to consider too closely at what it's really made of. Plus, there were a surprising number of moments when I found myself thinking, "Wow, zombies that don't' eat people are a thousand times creepier than ones who do. Who would have thought?" ( )
1 vote bragan | Jan 23, 2015 |
A different take on the zombie novel! About 2000 people, who have died recently, have mysteriously come back to life! They are Sweden's "unliving"! And the author treats this story with great emotion and tenderness! I could totally see myself doing what the grandfather does, after the initial revulsion to the state of the unliving. Poor guy. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Mar 3, 2014 |
A strange occurrence causes the corpses of those who recently died in Stockholm (this author is Swedish) to come back to life, so to speak. I found this book to be a refreshing (if it is possible to use this adjective given the subject) take on the current popularity of zombie fiction. The author manages to create the horror of this genre yet humanizes the story at the same time by emphasizing the relationships of the characters affected. Maybe he has started a whole new genre - lovely zombie fiction? ( )
  michellebarton | Aug 1, 2013 |
Rating: 4 of 5

1/17/2012: Whoa! I really liked this one. Review to come after I digest the story a bit. ( )
  flying_monkeys | Apr 14, 2013 |
Algo muy extraño está ocurriendo en la capital de Suecia: en medio de una inusual ola de calor, la gente se da cuenta de que no puede apagar la luz ni los aparatos eléctricos. De repente, una noticia sacude a la nación: en la morgue los muertos están resucitando. ¿Qué es lo que quieren? Lógicamente, volver a casa...
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

Solidarity is always directed at 'one of us' and 'us' cannot refer to everyone....For 'we' assumes someone who can be excluded, someone who belongs to others, and these others cannot be animals or machines, but people. Sven-Eric Liedman_To See Oneself in Others

All that we hope is, when we go Our skin and our blood and our bones Dont get in your way, making you ill The Way they did when we lived. Morrissey_There's a place in hell for me and my friends.
To Fritiof. Mah-fjou!
'Salud, Comandante.'

A power surge and heatwave in Stockholm leads to odd happenings, first signposted by all electrical items remaining switched on despite the power buttons being turned off. Then come headaches and feelings of illness and unease. Nothing too strange until the recently deceased start coming back to life and those around them, mostly medical and armed forces personel, discover that when the groups of the 'reliving' are large enough it is posible for the people near them to read minds. Journalist Gustav Mahler is among those trying to discover just what is happening.

Something very peculiar is happening in Stockholm. There's a heatwave on and people cannot turn their lights out or switch their appliances off. Then the terrible news breaks. In the city morgue, the dead are waking up .... What do they want? What everybody wants: to come home.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,019,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible