Let The Right One In by John Ajvide…

Let The Right One In (2004)

by John Ajvide Lindqvist

3,6342061,451 (4.02)1 / 227

English (191)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (208)
Like reading Scandinavian crime mixed with fantasy horror ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
I chose to read this book because a few years ago I saw the movie. I remembered it as interesting but a bit confusing and wanted to see if I got a different impression from the book. I did, although I think the phrase “the movie was much better” has become a cliché. The movie was an adaptation set in the US. The book was written in a Swedish setting; I think the importance of this has been overlooked when evaluating the book.

Oskar is a kid without friends. The only attention he gets from his schoolmates is when they are torturing him. They like to make him squeal like a pig, put his head in the toilet and do things that we call bullying, but this seems to be before the popular internet. High technology in this story is an original, vs. clone, Rubik’s cube.

When Oskar goes home, it is to a single parent home and mom is usually working. Oskar has a lot of time alone. He meets a neighbor of approximately the same age, but is told by the neighbor that there will be no friendship, that is just the way it is and no reason will be given. Oskar will eventually learn that the apparent girl who will not be his friend is not actually a girl. And “she” has been 12 years old for a few hundred years.

Eli lives next door to Oskar and meets him on the playground after Oskar had supper with his mom. He thinks she is very strange, talks in a funny manner, and does not bathe often. His new friend also is in a single parent family, but it is a father and child rather than Oskar’s situation.

After Oskar and Eli meet, the story moves quickly into disturbing areas. Eli’s father, Hakan, is not a father, but a supplier of blood to the never aging Eli. Hakan is mortal and has a sexual fixation on Eli. So we come to the disturbing question of whether it is incest when one is a mortal and one is a vampire. The reader’s mind may be relieved to find that Haken is actually only a pedophile in that he likes young boys. But does a vampire have gender?

The overall setting of the book is a struggle that many teenagers have in growing up. Oskar and Eli have problems, but so do their schoolmates. Tommy runs a burglary gang and lives with his mother (single parent family) but mom has a boyfriend, a cop, who threatens Tommy’s business. Johnny, Tomas, and Micke are three primary torturers of Oskar, but Oskar will get even to some extent by starting a fire in the school desks of Johnny and Tomas. This will lead to all kinds of consequences for several characters, but I won’t supply the spoilers.

Many characters in the book act and talk in ways that I think are unique to a country that is a cradle-to-grave welfare state. I have experienced this in a book titled “A Man Called Ove” and earlier in the Millenium trilogy by Stieg Larssen. I cannot adequately describe the style. This book is a good introduction to the style. ( )
  ajarn7086 | Apr 16, 2016 |
The Horror Challenge for Feb 2016 was to read a horror book in translation. Something not originally written in English. This was one.

First words:
The Location
Blackeberg
It makes you think of coconut-frosted cookies, maybe drugs.

What did I think?
I did not know this author. It was a book, that was on a list, that I could get my hands on. I had read a few books by Swedish authors in the past and liked them very much – Shame by Karin Altvegan, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, and waaay back when, Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren. So I thought I would give it a try.

Did I like it?

I’m not sure.

It was creepy.

Violent.

Bloody.

Horrifying at times!

And yet, there was something about it.

I think what I did like was the portrayal of bullying and the challenge that it is for children to defend themselves. I really felt for Oskar. I was glad that he found a friend in Elli even thought it was a very strange friendship. After all, not everyone has a vampire for a friend.

Like other reviewers, I felt that a lot of the characters were extraneous and the multiple story lines distracted me from the one I was most interested in. If Lindqvist had focused more on Oskar and Elli’s relationship I think the book would have suited me more.

As it was, I had not thought of stopping it, but I wasn’t exactly thrilled with going on. It was a disturbing read but well written nonetheless. However, I don’t think I am going to be looking for anything else by this author.

According to my rating scale, 3.0 stars is “not quite good; not bad either” and 3.5 stars is “enjoyed it”

I think this one was more like 3.25 stars.
  ccookie | Mar 18, 2016 |
Is there any point at all in anything that happens in this horrible book?

EDIT: I think the best description I can come up with for it is it's like a crap Wasp Factory that's about four times as long. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Mar 13, 2016 |
Oskar is about 12 years old and is getting bullied at school. He is happy to meet and become friends with the strange girl next door, Eli. Meanwhile, people are being murdered in town. Really, Eli is very strange...

This was ok. I liked the Oskar/Eli storyline, but I lost focus for the myriad of other characters and mostly wasn't following when the focus was on others. I was listening to the audio, and it tends to be even harder to keep focus with an audio. ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 4, 2016 |
If you have time over, read this book. I will however not recommend that you sell your granny to be able to afford it, unless you really dislike your granny, of course.
added by camillahoel | editRead And Find Out, jh (Sep 7, 2009)

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Segerberg, EbbaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mia, My Mia
Till Mia, min Mia.
The Location
Blackeberg
It makes you think of coconut-frosted cookies, maybe drugs. 'A respectable life.' You think subway station, suburb. Probably nothing else comes to mind. People must live there, just like they do in other places. That was why it was built, after all, so that people would have somewhere to live.
Blackberg.

Man tänker kanske kokosbollar, tänker kanske knark. »Ett anständigt liv.« Tänker tunnelbanestation, förort. Sedan tänker man inte så mycket mer. Bor väl folk där, som på andra platser. Det var ju därför det byggdes; för att folk skulle ha någonstans att bo.
The earth shall drink his blood.

Let the Right One In Takes Top Honors at Tribeca Film Festival!

It is autumn 1981 when the inconceivable comes to Blackeberg, a suburb in Sweden. The body of a teenage boy is found, emptied of blood, the murder rumored to be part of a ritual killing. Twelve-year-old Oskar is personally hoping that revenge has come at long last---revenge for the bullying he endures at school, day after day.

But the murder is not the most important thing on his mind. A new girl has moved in next door---a girl who has never seen a Rubik’s Cube before, but who can solve it at once. There is something wrong with her, though, something odd. And she only comes out at night. . . .

Sweeping top honors at film festivals all over the globe, director Tomas Alfredsson’s film of Let the Right One In has received the same kind of spectacular raves that have been lavished on the book. American readers of vampire fiction will be thrilled!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:17 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Oskar is obsessed by the murder that's taken place in his neighborhood. Then he meets the new girl from next door. She's a bit weird, though. And she only comes out at night--Publisher's description.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,786,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible