. (2004)

4,7912461,690 (4)1 / 267
Twelve-year-old Oskar is obsessed by the murder that's taken place in his neighborhood. Then he meets the new girl from next door--she's a bit weird, though. And she only comes out at night.
Member:Colesa
Title:.
Authors:
Info:The Text Publishing Company

Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2004)

English (228)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (245)
A fabulous creepy-meets-campy gothic tale. The characters are all hideously flawed; a lonely preteen who still wets his pants, a group of drunkards each with their own brand of oddness to boot, an eternally 12-year-old child, and more.

I was on edge the whole story, unsure of what to expect, and on the edge of my seat towards the end as the story began to unfold.

A fantastic thriller. ( )
  TCLinrow | Mar 17, 2021 |

A fantastic thriller. ( )
  TCLinrow | Mar 17, 2021 |
I'd seen the movie a number of years ago and I had liked it but not loved it - and then I read somewhere that the original English subtitles were botched, and that the re-tooled subtitles did the movie better justice... but I never got around to seeing that version. So, when I saw a copy of the original novel for 25¢ in the bargain bin, I picked it up hoping to get a better handle on the substance of the movie.

It's been a while now since I've seen the movie, but it seems like there's a lot in the book that didn't make it in. Which is actually ok. There are a lot of parallel plots in the book, some of them more interesting than others, and one that is particularly unsavory... I was okay with it all until the last 50 pages or so when it became clear that none of them were going to either (a) resolve satisfactorily, nor (b) that they were going to integrate with each other in a significant way. Most troublesome was that even the main storyline didn't resolve satisfactorily. We are essentially cheated out of the final payoff. And there were a lot of transitions/decisions that didn't make a whole lot of sense, and/or weren't clearly explained. It was too bad, because it's rare that a popular fiction book can hold me longer than halfway, so there had to have been potential there.

This was the author's first novel as I understand, so maybe he bit off more than he could chew. It could have been a good short novel if he'd just focused on the main story and cut out some of the unnecessary extras, but it's bloated into a near-500-page tome (with relatively small type). Sadly, I can't recommend. But I will say I'm still interested in watching the movie again, to see a more coherent version of this story, and maybe get some of the payoffs I was missing from the book...? ( )
  exhypothesi | Mar 7, 2021 |
Every so often a writer comes along and challenges the perceived boundaries of "genre fiction", keeping some basic elements to keep the particular genre recognisable whilst fiddling around with the rest. This is exactly what Lindqvist does in "Let the Right One In". True to tradition, his Undead require an invitation to cross any threshold (hence the title), need a regular diet of fresh blood to survive and catch fire when exposed to sunlight. So far, so familiar. The novelty lies in the vampire character - no ageless bloodsucking count or sexy Twilight-style protagonist - but Eli, a seemingly vulnerable two-hundred year old girl whose development is frozen at the cusp of puberty and who finds a kindred spirit in bullied Oskar.

Similarly, the sitting is not your typical Gothic backdrop but a boringly normal Stockholm suburb in the early 80s. It is a newly-built area where, the author tells us, "there wasn't even a church. Nine thousand inhabitants and no church". It is, in other words, a settlement without a past, without a sense of community, without a moral compass.

Lindqvist manages to evoke this sense of dreariness - his novel is peopled by single mothers struggling to raise difficult children, youths who resort to drugs or bullying just to chase away their boredom, old people struggling to make sense of their final years. In this context, the vampire almost assumes a symbolic significance, its bloodsucking a metaphor for the spent life-force of these monotonous urban surroundings.

Given its richness of ideas and literary ambition, this novel could well have won over readers who are not generally keen on vampire tales. But this being "modern horror", psychologically-charged storytelling is not enough for Lindqvist. No, he must bludgeon our heards with a sledgehammer!

...and so his Undead child is aided and abetted by a homicidal paedophile (whom we get to see in action a couple of times), we get some acid throwing for good measure, Oskar is bullied by sadistic classmates (leading him to wet his pants with wearisome regularity) but discovers a surprisingly violent streak when he finally makes up his mind to fight back. In the concluding part of the book, as bodies pile up and the plot becomes increasingly OTT, we even skirt zombie territory and the novel's supposed "scariness" descends into grotesque black humour.

I can't say I didn't enjoy this novel. But I did find myself missing my old friends Bram Stoker, Sheridan Le Fanu and M R James. They're much subtler. And scarier. ( )
  JosephCamilleri | Mar 5, 2021 |
Horror di classe, "Lasciami Entrare" è sicuramente uno dei romanzi più duri e tristi che mi sia mai capitato di leggere. C'è una vampira dall'aspetto di una ragazzina dodicenne, c'è un suo coetaneo umano e, forse, c'è anche amore tra di loro, ma scordatevi le stronzatine neogotiche in stile twilight: quella roba è buona per teenager americani cerebrolesi. La materia che dà corpo al libro di Lindqvist, invece, è la vita, quella vera, grigia, squallida e dura che vediamo nelle periferie delle nostre città, e anche la sua controparte vampiresca non le è da meno. Niente fascino tenebroso, solo una sete inestinguibile che porta chi è affetto dall'infezione vampirica sempre sull'orlo di un'orribile morte per denutrizione e lo costringe ad uccidere per sopravvivere...
Un romanzo duro che, nonostante l'argomento di matrice fantastica, riesce ad essere reale e sincero, ma siete avvertiti: dopo la lettura sarà difficile scrollarvi di dosso il profondo pessimismo con cui l'autore delinea una realtà dalla qual si può solo scappare per essere felici....
  JoeProtagoras | Jan 28, 2021 |
If you have time over, read this book. I will however not recommend that you sell your granny to be able to afford it, unless you really dislike your granny, of course.
added by camillahoel | editRead And Find Out, jh (Sep 7, 2009)

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Segerberg, EbbaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mia, My Mia
Till Mia, min Mia.
The Location
Blackeberg
It makes you think of coconut-frosted cookies, maybe drugs. 'A respectable life.' You think subway station, suburb. Probably nothing else comes to mind. People must live there, just like they do in other places. That was why it was built, after all, so that people would have somewhere to live.
Blackberg.

Man tänker kanske kokosbollar, tänker kanske knark. »Ett anständigt liv.« Tänker tunnelbanestation, förort. Sedan tänker man inte så mycket mer. Bor väl folk där, som på andra platser. Det var ju därför det byggdes; för att folk skulle ha någonstans att bo.
The earth shall drink his blood.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

John Ajvide Lindqvist's book Let the Right One In was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,159,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible