Let the Right One In: A Novel by John Ajvide…

Let the Right One In: A Novel (original 2004; edition 2008)

by John Ajvide Lindqvist, Ebba Segerberg (Translator)

3,4891941,522 (4.03)1 / 209
Title:Let the Right One In: A Novel
Authors:John Ajvide Lindqvist
Other authors:Ebba Segerberg (Translator)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2008), Edition: Mti, Paperback, 480 pages
Tags:favourites, own, reviewed, 2009

Let Me In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2004)

English (181)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (196)
I have been interested in reading this book after reading a fascinating short story of his a few years ago. This book did not disappoint. It was eerie and consuming. It was also very gruesome, and it has some graphic child-sexual-abuse scenes, so beware. Luckily, I had read reviews of this book beforehand and already knew about the child abuse, so I was not quite as repulsed by it. However, this book lost an entire star because of the child-sexual-abuse, which didn't appear at all in the movies and wasn't absolutely necessary. The child abuse did help develop the character of Eli's father as a disgusting and pathetic failure, but I think both attributes could have been manged in other ways. Or, at least, without the graphic scenes.

In general, I am pleased with Lindqvist's style - it is mysterious and flows well. The characters were well-drawn and believable (in a there-be-vampires sort of way). There dark, dreary mood was set early in the book and retained steadily throughout. There was nothing particularly original about Lindqvist's vampire, though Eli had some original personality traits and circumstances. Also, I've seen this book described as a romance, and I don't agree with that. Yes, Oskar asked Eli to "go steady," but that was about it. I mean, he was 12, and those feelings were very naive and not pronounced. This was a book about friendship, not romance.

Overall, I was pleased with the book and would read another by Lindqvist, though I'll probably wait before I can get through another that has sexual abuse in it. The audiobook was well-read - the voices were distinguishable and the pacing was quite reasonable. ( )
  The_Hibernator | Oct 27, 2015 |
Another tough read. A Swedish vampire novel, it again ignores most of the conventions, instead going for the jugular with some profoundly disturbing sexuality combined with merciless social realism. Horrible, horrific and heartbreaking, redeemed only by the touching friendship at its core, this is probably the Iron Dragon’s Daughter of vampire novels. Unromantic, unsexy, uncomfortable and brilliant. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
Actually 4.5.

Such an amazing read. ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 20, 2015 |
Actually 4.5.

Such an amazing read. ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 20, 2015 |
I've had this book forever, and it finally took it being picked as a book club read for me to sit down and start it. But once I started it... whoa. Super fast read. I have about a 30 minute train ride in/out of the city every day to get to work. In that half hour, I got through a little over 60 pages at a time. It was a fast read. And it sucked me in.

First off, trigger warnings to the triggerable: pedophilia, murder, one scene of attempted rape, bullying, and a zombie.

I did not find this a very dark book, despite all the above. It was a coming of age story of an ostracized and bullied boy finding himself with the help of his best friend... who just happens to be a vampire.

It was much more philosophical and involved more soul-searching than American vampire novels (what does that say about Americans?), which I liked. And despite it having taken place in the 1981, the novel did not date itself much other than walkmans and Rubik cubes (and the lack of cell phones).

And I loved that the bad guys weren't the vampire, but the more mundane pedophile (well, he started off mundane) and bullies. ( )
  wisemetis | Aug 28, 2015 |
If you have time over, read this book. I will however not recommend that you sell your granny to be able to afford it, unless you really dislike your granny, of course.
added by camillahoel | editRead And Find Out, jh (Sep 7, 2009)

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Segerberg, EbbaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mia, My Mia
Till Mia, min Mia.
The Location
It makes you think of coconut-frosted cookies, maybe drugs. 'A respectable life.' You think subway station, suburb. Probably nothing else comes to mind. People must live there, just like they do in other places. That was why it was built, after all, so that people would have somewhere to live.

Man tänker kanske kokosbollar, tänker kanske knark. »Ett anständigt liv.« Tänker tunnelbanestation, förort. Sedan tänker man inte så mycket mer. Bor väl folk där, som på andra platser. Det var ju därför det byggdes; för att folk skulle ha någonstans att bo.
The earth shall drink his blood.

Let the Right One In Takes Top Honors at Tribeca Film Festival!

It is autumn 1981 when the inconceivable comes to Blackeberg, a suburb in Sweden. The body of a teenage boy is found, emptied of blood, the murder rumored to be part of a ritual killing. Twelve-year-old Oskar is personally hoping that revenge has come at long last---revenge for the bullying he endures at school, day after day.

But the murder is not the most important thing on his mind. A new girl has moved in next door---a girl who has never seen a Rubik’s Cube before, but who can solve it at once. There is something wrong with her, though, something odd. And she only comes out at night. . . .

Sweeping top honors at film festivals all over the globe, director Tomas Alfredsson’s film of Let the Right One In has received the same kind of spectacular raves that have been lavished on the book. American readers of vampire fiction will be thrilled!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:17 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Oskar is obsessed by the murder that's taken place in his neighborhood. Then he meets the new girl from next door. She's a bit weird, though. And she only comes out at night--Publisher's description.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible