Let the Right One In: A Novel by John Ajvide…

Let the Right One In: A Novel (original 2004; edition 2008)

by John Ajvide Lindqvist, Ebba Segerberg (Translator)

3,162None1,766 (4.04)1 / 191
Member:usagijihen
Title:Let the Right One In: A Novel
Authors:John Ajvide Lindqvist
Other authors:Ebba Segerberg (Translator)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2008), Edition: Mti, Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:favourites, own, reviewed, 2009

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2004)

1980s (22) 2009 (16) 2010 (15) 21st century (17) bullying (34) children (22) coming of age (20) ebook (27) fantasy (60) fiction (334) friendship (26) horror (415) Kindle (15) made into movie (20) novel (38) own (19) paranormal (17) read (38) read in 2009 (20) Stockholm (41) supernatural (28) Sweden (147) swedish (73) Swedish literature (34) thriller (31) to-read (113) translated (18) translation (20) unread (27) vampires (461)

English (151)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (165)
Mixed feelings with this one. Very suspenseful and dark, which was a nice to see after all the hoopla over "soft" vampire stories of late (ahem... Twilight). It was difficult to read in some parts, though. I look forward to watching the movie adaptation. ( )
  joyhclark | Mar 13, 2014 |
There was something about the tone of this book I didn't like. I usually don't shy away from creepy or scary, but this was something different...
I then read some reviews and saw mentions of graphic pedophilia among other things and knew it was time to give it up.

Odds are that I will not revisit.
  TracyRae | Feb 6, 2014 |
I agree with "wallflower's" review below (not the film comments, as I have not seen them). There was just so, oh so much to cut from this story. The Lanke(?)/Virginia/drinking buddies part moved with glacial speed and too much detail. Even though "Tommy's" climatic scene was horrifying, I really think all the detail of his mother and her police boyfriend was overly long and too detailed. Of course some of their background was needed to get us to Tommy's basement, but all of it? Like what did "spiking" the baptismal fount have to do with arriving to that dark basement scene? Basically, the book wore me out; I'm tired. ( )
  magnumpigg | Jan 6, 2014 |
Lindqvist has been compared to Stephen King which is a comparison not without merit as he matches King blow for blow with this story. In fact, Let the Right One In takes me back to my King reading youth which lies somewhere in the 1980's and not far from the year in which this book is set (1981) .

I haven't read a horror book for many years and, unusually for me, I bought this book after I had seen the Swedish film. I was taken by the simplicity, the atmosphere and horrific beauty of the film that I just had to get the book. I'd heard that the film had missed out much that was in the book (I am not surprised) and this left me curious. The book had been sitting on my shelf unread for the last couple of years and now, having read it within a week or so, I'm wondering why I had left it for so long.

Oskar is 12 years old and relentlessly bullied at school. He has no friends. Life is hard and he is anxious to the point of incontinence. His dream world consists of keeping a scrap-book of newspaper articles on murders and mass murderers and fantasising about fighting back and killing his bullies. He's a good kid at heart but sad and angry at the cards life has dealt him, about being singled out and bullied and at himself and his inability to fight back. Things change when he meets Eli, his new neighbour and possible soul mate.

Eli is 'around' 12 years old and quite eccentric. She has moved into the flat next door with her 'father' but all is not as it seems. After a chance meeting with Oskar one evening they start to develop a friendship. As this friendship develops so does Oskar's strength and confidence in life. As the story develops so does his awareness around sex, sexuality and love, in particular the sense of confusion he feels when he thinks about Eli. This is certainly a 'coming of age' relationship for Oskar. This is also the case for Eli as she explores her feelings for Oskar, their friendship and especially her struggle in coming to terms with being a '12 year old child' having lived as a vampire for 200 years.

Around this developing unconventional relationship, Lindqvist creates an atmosphere that is typically Scandinavian. Cold, dark, simple and stylish with a quirky edge. Yes, Lindqvist uses a lot of words, taking his time to get to where we should be. Some readers may feel that an amount of what Lindqvist has written is superfluous. However, I believe everything to be an essential part of the story. Lindqvist takes his time, building characters and scenes that may not initially feel relevant to the reader but they will eventually come together to form vital parts to the story overall. Give it time. Once again, comparisons to Stephen King can be made. I remember reading 'Christine' when I was younger, wondering where the heck things were going. King got there eventually and it made the journey all the more worthwhile. It's the same here with Let the Right One In and Lindqvist.

We get there....eventually.

Ultimately, this is a story of two lonely people coming together to form a friendship in a world in which they don't fit. However, a warning note to readers attracted to the more romantic and ethereal vampire story - Let the Right One In is not soft around the edges. It doesn't mince its words and certainly does not romanticise the subject in any way. Whilst it sensitively explores the developing relationship between Eli and Oskar, it remains quite graphic and descriptive in detail. It's gritty, dirty and, in some scenes, downright seedy. It's certainly not a book for the faint hearted nor for those that like their vampires with a bit more romance and less blood and dirt. It's definitely a book for those who like a horror story to hit them straight between the eyes and not allow them get up for a while afterwards. ( )
1 vote lilywren | Dec 30, 2013 |
The best vampire novel I've ever read. It stays true to the characters without romanticizing vampires and is the only vampire novel about children that I've come across. It is not a book for children though, that's for sure. Twilight fans would probably find it icky. The real life backdrop the vampire plot is drawn against is far more harrowing and nightmarish than any vampire story could be. The movies are tamer than the book though and don't delve into the real darkness this novel depicts. ( )
  Winspear | Dec 27, 2013 |
If you have time over, read this book. I will however not recommend that you sell your granny to be able to afford it, unless you really dislike your granny, of course.
added by camillahoel | editRead And Find Out, jh (Sep 7, 2009)

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Segerberg, EbbaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mia, My Mia
Till Mia, min Mia.
The Location
Blackeberg
It makes you think of coconut-frosted cookies, maybe drugs. 'A respectable life.' You think subway station, suburb. Probably nothing else comes to mind. People must live there, just like they do in other places. That was why it was built, after all, so that people would have somewhere to live.
Blackberg.

Man tänker kanske kokosbollar, tänker kanske knark. »Ett anständigt liv.« Tänker tunnelbanestation, förort. Sedan tänker man inte så mycket mer. Bor väl folk där, som på andra platser. Det var ju därför det byggdes; för att folk skulle ha någonstans att bo.
the earth shall drink his blood

Let the Right One In Takes Top Honors at Tribeca Film Festival!

It is autumn 1981 when the inconceivable comes to Blackeberg, a suburb in Sweden. The body of a teenage boy is found, emptied of blood, the murder rumored to be part of a ritual killing. Twelve-year-old Oskar is personally hoping that revenge has come at long last---revenge for the bullying he endures at school, day after day.

But the murder is not the most important thing on his mind. A new girl has moved in next door---a girl who has never seen a Rubik’s Cube before, but who can solve it at once. There is something wrong with her, though, something odd. And she only comes out at night. . . .

Sweeping top honors at film festivals all over the globe, director Tomas Alfredsson’s film of Let the Right One In has received the same kind of spectacular raves that have been lavished on the book. American readers of vampire fiction will be thrilled!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:52 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Oskar is obsessed by the murder that's taken place in his neighborhood. Then he meets the new girl from next door. She's a bit weird, though. And she only comes out at night--Publisher's description.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,505,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible