Let the Right One in by John Ajvide…

Let the Right One in (original 2004; edition 2007)

by John Ajvide Lindqvist

3,4181881,579 (4.03)1 / 207
Member:annalewall2009
Title:Let the Right One in
Authors:John Ajvide Lindqvist
Info:Quercus Publishing Plc (2007), Hardcover, 528 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction:horror, April

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2004)

English (174)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (189)
I lived in Sweden during the time this story is set so some details really rang a bell with me. I clearly remember the alcoholics and the town squares. Interesting to see Lindqvist refer to them as "our alcoholics". And pytt-i-panna! As soon as I read the word I recognised it but didn't remember what it was. I rang my mum to ask and remember eating it quite a lot. I made it last night but it wasn't as nice as my mum's.

As to the novel itself, there are nods to Anne Rice with the child vampire and there are stylistic idiosyncrasies nicked from Stephen King. Unfortunately it's clunky and forced, the dialogue is unnatural and the characters are so wooden they appear to lurch into motion after the start of their scenes, a bit like a badly edited film. ( )
  Lukerik | May 13, 2015 |
As a huge fan of the movie, I tried to go head first into reading this book without too many expectations. Furthermore, I desperately wanted to read the novel without thinking of the comparisons made between Mr. Lindqvist and Neil Gaiman or Clive Barker, as they are two of my favorite authors and nothing I've read so far has been anything like their works. However, I was blown away by the storytelling and beautiful writing in Let the Right One In. With differences from the film ranging from subtle to completely veering in a new direction, I was pleased to find that I could easily sink into the story just as I did when first seeing the film. I am adding this book to my "all time favorites" without a doubt. I hope to read his second release soon, and look forward to more outstanding work from this brilliant author! ( )
  walksaloneatnight | Feb 24, 2015 |
If you have time over, read this book. I will however not recommend that you sell your granny to be able to afford it, unless you really dislike your granny, of course.
added by camillahoel | editRead And Find Out, jh (Sep 7, 2009)

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Segerberg, EbbaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mia, My Mia
Till Mia, min Mia.
The Location
Blackeberg
It makes you think of coconut-frosted cookies, maybe drugs. 'A respectable life.' You think subway station, suburb. Probably nothing else comes to mind. People must live there, just like they do in other places. That was why it was built, after all, so that people would have somewhere to live.
Blackberg.

Man tänker kanske kokosbollar, tänker kanske knark. »Ett anständigt liv.« Tänker tunnelbanestation, förort. Sedan tänker man inte så mycket mer. Bor väl folk där, som på andra platser. Det var ju därför det byggdes; för att folk skulle ha någonstans att bo.
The earth shall drink his blood.

Let the Right One In Takes Top Honors at Tribeca Film Festival!

It is autumn 1981 when the inconceivable comes to Blackeberg, a suburb in Sweden. The body of a teenage boy is found, emptied of blood, the murder rumored to be part of a ritual killing. Twelve-year-old Oskar is personally hoping that revenge has come at long last---revenge for the bullying he endures at school, day after day.

But the murder is not the most important thing on his mind. A new girl has moved in next door---a girl who has never seen a Rubik’s Cube before, but who can solve it at once. There is something wrong with her, though, something odd. And she only comes out at night. . . .

Sweeping top honors at film festivals all over the globe, director Tomas Alfredsson’s film of Let the Right One In has received the same kind of spectacular raves that have been lavished on the book. American readers of vampire fiction will be thrilled!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:17 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Oskar is obsessed by the murder that's taken place in his neighborhood. Then he meets the new girl from next door. She's a bit weird, though. And she only comes out at night--Publisher's description.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,437,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible