Let the Right One in by John Ajvide…

Let the Right One in (original 2004; edition 2007)

by John Ajvide Lindqvist

3,2821711,669 (4.04)1 / 197
Member:annalewall2009
Title:Let the Right One in
Authors:John Ajvide Lindqvist
Info:Quercus Publishing Plc (2007), Hardcover, 528 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction:horror, April

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2004)

Recently added byduowolf, private library, rainbowbrains, Journeymouse, jodiesohl, BZ2, kfbalcos, rwford513

English (158)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (172)
i liked this book about a child vampire. ( )
  jodiesohl | Sep 8, 2014 |
Absolutely amazing... So much more elaborate and twisted than the movie. I wasn't even bored since I've seen the movie first. Such a great take on the whole vampire stuff, probably my favorite! ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Very good, I thought. Portrayed vampires sympathetically, while not sparklifying them. The characters themselves were given thought and developed too, rather than the author just saying, "Here, have some vampires and blood and some drama too. That should do it." Of course, this was published a while ago, so right off that's a mark in its favor, what with the ridiculous point we've reached with every author who can halfway put words together into sentences saturating vampire/fairy/supernatural/etc. fiction with whatever half-assed teen romangst can be crapped out and sold. And now I'm ranting, but the covers of these books. The friggin' covers. Covers are a completely legit, tried-and-true method, in my experience, for judging a book. Nowadays I see a book with a mash-up of disembodied faces/headless bodies faded into/collaged with fuzzy, colorful or otherwise color-manipulated images of castles or whatnot. I see this, I give an involuntary sneer of disgust, and walk away or maybe, if I'm feeling especially hopeful/masochistic, pick the damn thing up and read the inside cover. And often gag, or maybe laugh and shake my head. And sure, the cover of the edition I'm reviewing does have some blurry, monotone photography, a face, a silhouette and some fog. But the book covers I'm talking about are on another level completely. A lower one, probably, or perhaps one in some other dimension which is not up or down, but which is certainly worse.

But anyway. Good book. I liked. Maybe I'll start picking it apart for its flaws later on, but that's hard for me to do immediately after finishing it, and I don't feel like it, and anyway, a good book. So. ( )
  -sunny- | Jul 15, 2014 |

-sunny- | Jul 15, 2014 |
A great book that manages to do something new with the vampire trope while keeping it very very traditional (no shiny, handsome vampires here). The book even manages to make you question who the real monster is ... is it the vampire or humanity? Its a tale of growing up, being accountable for your own actions (for right, or wrong). I like that Oscar is portrayed as a victim from the school bullies, but also as someone who allows himself to victimized (its an attitude that is severely lacking in today’s anti-bully society).

Eli is... well, interesting. At first a monster, than as a sympathetic kid who is a victim of a disease... I also like Stockholm in this book - I don't know much about Sweden, but I believe that at one point, they were a country with very few resources until they found oil (maybe...). This is set in the early 80's, right when Sweden was making the change from backwards country to a modern society - the book addresses people on welfare, the death penalty, poverty, bullying, sad people trying to make ends meet. The time period also makes this book very bleak. It is a very monochromatic story, set in a Scandinavian winter. It totally adds to the creepiness of the story.

The author did an excellent job in keeping the story sparse, The translator should also be given credit for doing an excellent job in translation that I believe captures the tone and imagery of the original Swedish story. My only complaint (and it is very minor) is that the book doesn't explain some Swedish only items and concepts (for example, a flammable product was used to start a fire... but I don't know what its application is for.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who loves creepy stories, set in an interesting background, with very well written characters. It is a book that will stay with you. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Jun 1, 2014 |
If you have time over, read this book. I will however not recommend that you sell your granny to be able to afford it, unless you really dislike your granny, of course.
added by camillahoel | editRead And Find Out, jh (Sep 7, 2009)

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Segerberg, EbbaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mia, My Mia
Till Mia, min Mia.
The Location
Blackeberg
It makes you think of coconut-frosted cookies, maybe drugs. 'A respectable life.' You think subway station, suburb. Probably nothing else comes to mind. People must live there, just like they do in other places. That was why it was built, after all, so that people would have somewhere to live.
Blackberg.

Man tänker kanske kokosbollar, tänker kanske knark. »Ett anständigt liv.« Tänker tunnelbanestation, förort. Sedan tänker man inte så mycket mer. Bor väl folk där, som på andra platser. Det var ju därför det byggdes; för att folk skulle ha någonstans att bo.
The earth shall drink his blood.

Let the Right One In Takes Top Honors at Tribeca Film Festival!

It is autumn 1981 when the inconceivable comes to Blackeberg, a suburb in Sweden. The body of a teenage boy is found, emptied of blood, the murder rumored to be part of a ritual killing. Twelve-year-old Oskar is personally hoping that revenge has come at long last---revenge for the bullying he endures at school, day after day.

But the murder is not the most important thing on his mind. A new girl has moved in next door---a girl who has never seen a Rubik’s Cube before, but who can solve it at once. There is something wrong with her, though, something odd. And she only comes out at night. . . .

Sweeping top honors at film festivals all over the globe, director Tomas Alfredsson’s film of Let the Right One In has received the same kind of spectacular raves that have been lavished on the book. American readers of vampire fiction will be thrilled!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:52 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Oskar is obsessed by the murder that's taken place in his neighborhood. Then he meets the new girl from next door. She's a bit weird, though. And she only comes out at night--Publisher's description.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,672,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible